PDA

View Full Version : hi

tman
12-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Hi. I just found this forum when I was looking up bird stuff. I'm trying to get my mom to let me have a bird, but so far no luck. Any ideas on how I can convince her?

Feathers First Aviary
12-20-2013, 05:24 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum! As far as convincing your mom, well, the best steps would be to ask her why she doesn't want you to have one and then go from there. Parrots are a huge commitment as they live much much longer than most domestic animals and their care can be quite expensive. They can also be very noisy and destructive so a lot of places will not allow you to have them such as apartments which is something to consider, you didn't mention your age but keeping in mind that most birds can live 15-80 years, depending on species, when the time does come for you to find your own home it can be very hard to do so with a noisy fid. Not trying to discourage you by any means, just throwing out some reasons why your mom may not want you to adopt a bird just yet. And even if you do have to wait a few years, it's never too early to start doing research! Another consideration may be to see if there are any local parrot rescues or breeders around you that would allow you to volunteer. It would give you an idea of what to expect and would also show your parents that you are serious about wanting to adopt one :)

Honesty
12-20-2013, 08:35 AM
:hello: and welcome to the forum.

Sara has given you some great advice. :)

What type of bird did you have in mind?

kendrafitz
12-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi and welcome!!

I can't add much to Sara's advice. The more research you do the better. That way you can give your mom all the pros and cons. Feel free to post questions about the type of parrot you are interested in. Everyone here is super friendly and helpful and will be more than happy to answer.

I also second Sara's idea of volunteering. I did a bit at a local bird store (with the older birds that they couldn't sell) and it taught me a lot. Really helps to figure out which type of parrot is best for you. Plus, I'm sure it will show your mom just how serious and responsible you are. :)

josiesbro2
12-24-2013, 07:54 PM
I am with Sarah I mean my sister Josie is going to outlive my mom and mabye me she is 31 and I am only young. She still has 77 years to live so I'll be old then, which is kinda insane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Turquoise
12-30-2013, 07:05 AM
Welcome to our flock tman!

I can remember when my Mom so many many years ago would not let me have a lot of the animals and birds I now have or have had since becoming an adult. She was right about not allowing me to fill up my time and room with all that I wanted. I was too young to work and feed them all and she knew what she was doing. Since I waited til I could get my own animals and birds and have the money it takes to care for them properly, I so appreciate them much more than I would have way back then if my Mom would have been paying for everything. :)

When your Mom thinks you are ready I bet she will rethink your yearning for a bird of your own. You have been given very good advice from everyone and we hope to see what you choose as your first parrot when the time is right. Til then enjoy the forum and learn~~learn~~learn! :th_wink:

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Hello and Welcome!