PDA

View Full Version : Rygel's first Mum made toy

smidge
12-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Okay this is the first of hopefully many toys I can make for my baby boy. So after copious amounts of research on what is and what is not safe for my little man (I hope I am not giving him a complex as he hasn't been DNA sexed) I had all these resources and no idea where to start. Some background for the viewers at home I paint, sketch, cross stitch and hand sew toys. But this style of toy making is a whole new world.

I decided to lay everything out and just watch what he interacted with. I soon discovered beads were his favourite (you would think after 15 mins of picking one up and playing then dropping this he would get bored) and that he loves loves loves balsa wood. Here I was expecting all the natural gear i had collected and prepared so it was safe. Point to Rygel.

Here is the final product and a short clip of Rygel 'helping' (at this point I cleared away the other gear). He had mostly calmed down by time i found the camera, he was so excited with the new things.

I used safe dye on the balsa wood, sisal and cotton twine, plastic and acrylic beads. In each of the large pieces of balsa I have drilled holes to add small twigs/branches/leaves or use as forging opportunities.

coltfire
12-19-2013, 06:54 AM
unfortunately your pics wont open for me.

smidge
12-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Okay it just worked for me, so fingers crossed

smidge
12-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Also the only balsa left are the 2 large pieces, everything else has been chewed. You just pop out for groceries.

Honesty
12-19-2013, 08:57 AM
You have made some lovely toys Lisa :)

coltfire
12-19-2013, 09:31 AM
very well done Lisa, i can see Rygel is having fun let us know how long the balsa wood last, it would not last 5 min with my guy you should see how quick they demolish a pine cone , i think that would be the one thing they enjoy the most,

Blancaej
12-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Great job Lisa! You have one happy bird!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

MomtoPercy
12-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Great job! I'm sure he's going to have loads of fun!

Pinkbirdy
12-19-2013, 12:26 PM
That's a great idea :) putting the materials in front of him and seeing what he likes.

spiritbird
12-19-2013, 01:20 PM
It is fun to make your own bird toys. So much money saved. You did good work.

kendrafitz
12-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Awesome toy!! I love the idea of letting Rygel pick what the favorites are!! :)

Debra
12-19-2013, 03:57 PM
That's a great toy! I also like the idea of letting them pick out what to put on their new toy.

smidge
12-24-2013, 07:17 AM
The toy lasted 1/2 a day, turned the beads etc into foot toy. Which he is currently dragging up and down the desk. He prefers long thin pieces of balsa.

Turquoise
12-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Those are super great toys you made Rygel. And I love his name! It is quite unique. :)

I use the plastic beads like you have there and wooden beads on my macaw toys. You wouldn't think it, but as large as their beaks are, they love to snap those little colored beads off the first thing. It's kinda' like catnip to parrots when they get to cracking those things.:hehe2: Then they will go to chewing on the wooden blocks.