PDA

View Full Version : Is this plant Eucalyptus?

spiritbird
12-18-2013, 10:05 PM
I took some photos today of what I think may be Eucalyptus. For those of you who are familiar with the plant please let me know. thanks in advance 15831584

Mare
12-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Hmm..To me, that looks more like a bamboo type plant than any eucalyptus I've ever seen. Steve would be more of an expert on this but my experience with eucalyptus is that they grow more like a tree, as in up, not a bush. I also have bamboo in my yard and it spreads like what you have in your photo and they don't get nearly as tall as an eucalyptus tree.

spiritbird
12-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks Mare. I guess bamboo leaves are only good to bears.

spiritbird
12-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Oops I stand corrected. Several web pages say bamboo is ok for birds. Learned something new today. Now does anyone know if I just cut some, wash and bring to the birds? I am talking about branches with leaves on them.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
12-19-2013, 07:02 AM
from what i can see no its not, its not like any i have ever seen, if you grab a handful and just crush in hand you will no by the spell as eucalyptus has a very distinctive smell, as long as you no what it smells like, but that does not look like eucalyptus

spiritbird
12-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks Steve. Do you think it is bamboo also?

Debra
12-19-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm no plant expert but I think it looks like bamboo too.

spiritbird
12-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I cut a few branches and the stems are hollow like bamboo and appear that way also. Wash them and now my fids have a bamboo tree in their cage. So far they are ignoring the forest invation.

Debra
12-19-2013, 07:57 PM
That's how my fids are reacting to their eucalyptus treat. They could take it or leave it. Guess I know now. lol

spiritbird
12-19-2013, 11:24 PM
OH well, we tried. Daisy did climb on some of the branches to get to the broccoli.

MomtoPercy
12-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Dianne, the bamboo stems make great bases for toys if you're DIY inclined. I dry them a bit in the sun, wash, saw into tubes, rings whatever and then bake in a low oven to dry fully. When dry, I assemble toys for my bird, he loves bamboo toys!
Wish I had my own bamboo plant like you! :)

spiritbird
12-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Thank you Michelle. I wish you were not so far away I would send you a large bunch. My hands have significant RA (arthritis) now and I have a hard time doing some manual dexterity things like creating toys. There is so much bamboo here.

Mare
12-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Well, Deb, we tried :(. I'm thinking the key, to having eucalyptus for birds, is the tree better be in your yard! I'm glad that I now know, my birds enjoy this plant and I know it is safe for them :)