PDA

View Full Version : New Parront checking in :)

MomtoPercy
12-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi All!

I adopted a BFA about 5 months ago and I've spent every spare minute since then learning learning learning! Dogs are much easier, eh? :)

Percy is about 5 years old and unfortunately suffered an untreated, badly broken (2 breaks) wing somewhere in his past. Although the wing has healed a bit wonky and he can't fly much, it doesn't bother him and the vet said to leave it be rather than traumatise him by trying to fix it.

Despite his crooked wing and his insistance to keep me at arms length, he is the most precious bird in the world to me!

Honesty
12-18-2013, 10:29 AM
:hello: and :pp_welcome: Thank you for joining us!

Sorry to hear about Percy's broken wing, but it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job with him. Do you have any pics of Percy to share with us?

Feathers First Aviary
12-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like Percy has had a rough life but found his perfect mom now! Would love to see pictures, it's amazing how much BFA's can vary in color.

MomtoPercy
12-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Here is a pic of my Percy doing weights :th_biggrin:

Sorry I didn't include a pic with my first post - still finding my way around :th_wink:

Feathers First Aviary
12-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Omg! Too cute!!

Honesty
12-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Percy is adorable. He looks very healthy and happy!

Pinkbirdy
12-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Hello !!! Welcome ,I see you made it over here [its such a nice group]

Blancaej
12-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Hello & welcome! Percy is a handsome fellow. :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

kendrafitz
12-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi and welcome!!!

I love, love, love the pic! Percy is quite the muscle bird, lifting his weights!! ;)

coltfire
12-18-2013, 03:51 PM
welcome to the site, love the pic of percy and the weights

Debra
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Percy is gorgeous! I love amazons, although I don't think I could ever own one. My Lucy is my only big bird and she's enough of a handful. Welcome to the forum!

MomtoPercy
12-18-2013, 07:38 PM
I must admit I knew nothing about parrots (except the average stuff people know about budgies and tiels) when I agreed to adopt "a green parrot" (that's how he was described to me LOL). I was told his previous owner was an older gent who has started suffering from alzheimers and could no longer care for him. I don't know what made me agree blindly but it was the best decision I've made in a long time. I didn't know that zons are supposed to be difficult and so I didn't think anything of it. :)
He HAS been a challenge but only with me. He took to my 17yo son instantly and within a few weeks fell in love with my elderly mom. Me however, he hated! I was told when I adopted him that he can't stand women but I believe that was due to stuff in his past. The way he took to my mom proved that he just wasn't given a chance.
I've worked VERY hard on winning him over and we have made massive progress :). So happy that he is warming up to me and even asks ME to pick him up!! And when he gets a fright, I'm the only one who can hold him to calm him down (snickering in self importance ;) )

Honesty
12-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Great work on managing to win Percy over :) I know from personal experience just how stubborn Zon's can be. They know who they like and that is their mind set :th_hehe:

My Amazon Codie, will only tolerate myself and my Mum. Anyone else is in danger of a nasty bite :( He has his little mood swings, which means, even I have to be aware of him!

plax
12-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Greetings Michelle! Percy looks very cute holding his dumbbell in your photo ;). It appears you've made some wonderful progress with him. Keep it up and post more photos when you get a chance :)

ShellyBorg
12-21-2013, 03:20 AM
Welcome to our flock!

Turquoise
12-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Welcome to our flock Michelle and Percy!:th_greet13:

Percy is adorable. I love the Blue Fronts, they are beautiful. Zons are truly a special species and need a strong heart to love them. I had a couple of Zons many years ago when I had my 1st parrots. Both were re-homes and took many months to train to be held.:bfzon:

Mayden
12-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Welcome! ;)