PDA

View Full Version : just found this guy

coltfire
12-15-2013, 01:52 PM
its 11.50 pm and my budgies were going off there head , so i go out to see what the problem is and this is what i found almost at the cage.
now i have to decide do i keep him and add him to my collection or release tomorrow.he would only be a yearling and about 80 cm

Debra
12-15-2013, 02:38 PM
That would have scared me to death to find in my house!

coltfire
12-15-2013, 04:37 PM
no it was not in the house the budgie stay out on the porch as there new cage is way to big to bring inside, and that is only a baby only about 3 feet the two i have in the house are 13 and 14 feet long and around 8in thick, and my eckkies love stirring them in there enclosure

Debra
12-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Steve, snakes scare me. I never know if one is poisonous or not so I just steer clear of them at all times if at all possible. I don't even go into the reptilian house at the zoo. Too creepy.

spiritbird
12-15-2013, 09:29 PM
You live in the land of many snakes. Why would you want to keep any??

Honesty
12-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Snakes scare me too! If I had have found that in my porch, you would not have seen me for dust :hehe2:

coltfire
12-15-2013, 10:25 PM
You live in the land of many snakes. Why would you want to keep any?? Dianne i breed snakes as well as birds

mrgoogls
12-15-2013, 10:30 PM
i like snakes too :) they are just so cool. it always seems people either love them or hate them, no middle ground haha.

coltfire
12-15-2013, 10:43 PM
ive had snakes almost as long as ive had birds, my old guy is 19 now and his mate is 16, ive had them since babies.

Mare
12-15-2013, 11:56 PM
I would let him go, ten or more miles away. Sorry guys, but I'm of the mind of letting wild creatures be free to be themselves, and free.

kendrafitz
12-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Very neat. Do they bother the birds at all? I have always liked pet reptiles.

But snakes in the wild make me nervous. I am with Debra & Wendy on that - I am afraid of wild snakes. Only bc I don't know enough to know if they are dangerous or not.

coltfire
12-16-2013, 06:39 AM
its so easy to know if a snake is poisons or not just by looking at where the eyes are , eye's to the side of head means non poison eyes on top means venomous, And mare to move him 10 miles away is giving him a death sentence, as snakes are territorial, and if they go into another snakes area there will be a fight to the death unless its breeding season, as for this guy i want to let him go the only thing is he will keep coming back, and to answer your question Kendra, yes they will eat the birds, my mother lost a few of her birds to snakes over the years and now will not get any more, i have snake proofed the cages the best i can, now just have to listen to my birds they will tell me if any thing is wrong as the budgies did last night.

Turquoise
12-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Ahhh yes a nice carpet python it looks to me to be. I used to have two coastal carpet pythons. One was 6 ft long, both were very nice sweet snakes. I sold them along with almost all the rest of my snakes when I got my birds.

Feathers First Aviary
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Nice carpet steve! I wish we had wild pythons here, all we really have is rat snakes, garters and some rattlers. Its so funny though, we also had reptiles long before birds, I mean I grew up with both as a kid but I personally kept herps for years before getting birds. Now we mainly do rescue and breed some balls for fun.

I know it's just semantics but I just have to point out to everyone, snakes are never poisonous, they can be venemous but venom and poison are two different things. Easy easy way to remember is this saying, "if you bite it and die, its poisonous, if it bites you and you die, it's venomous" lol

kendrafitz
12-16-2013, 04:52 PM
I have learned a lot on this thread. Thanks everyone!!

Very interesting about the eye placement = venomous or not. :)

Blancaej
12-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I am not too fond of snakes either. Better you then me Steve! LOL!

plax
12-16-2013, 08:28 PM
its so easy to know if a snake is poisons or not just by looking at where the eyes are , eye's to the side of head means non poison eyes on top means venomousThat's not necessarily true. Pit vipers, for example, have eyes very much on the sides of their heads. One technique that people use to determine venomous snakes from non-venomous snakes is that many venomous snakes have elliptical pupils (like those of a cat). It's important to note, however, that not all venomous snakes share this trait. For example, Cobras and Mambas have round pupils and are both extremely deadly species! Whereas Red-tailed Boas, Emerald Tree Boas, and Green Tree Pythons have elliptical pupils and are entirely non-venomous. So it may be unwise to depend upon pupil shape to determine the venomous status of snakes. I think the best approach may be to learn species identification for the snakes in one's area.

Mare
12-16-2013, 09:21 PM
I too, have learned a lot from this thread, Kendra! 30 years ago, my husband and I would ride our horses to the property we built on and still live on. At that time, we named it, Rattlesnake Gulch. Every time we rode down here, we found at least one, sometimes two, rattlers. After we built, the snakes were still around (makes sense) but slowly and surely, the dogs and cats finally moved them off.

The best snake deterrent we've ever seen though, was the wild turkeys!

kendrafitz
12-16-2013, 11:01 PM
How cool, I never knew wild turkeys had much purpose. I love that!!

I think what is best for me is just to keep my distance from wild snakes. By the time I remembered what to look for and checked, I would probably be in trouble. ;) Fortunately, we don't have that many around my house.