PDA

View Full Version : Newest member of the flock!

tonkatiel
12-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Everyone meet the newest member of our family!
She joined us on Saturday and is 10 weeks old :) We're not sure yet on the sex (calling 'it' a she for now because I don't like saying 'it' lol), and haven't decided on a name until we know the sex... Right now I'm thinking if she is a girl then we'll call her Mia, but still unsure on boys names :)

I'm so in love already! She loves to cuddle and is soooo quiet! Haven't decided if this is because we're still new to her or if this is her actual personality, but I'm loving the cuddliness either way lol... All of my other birds are psycho clowns so cuddliness makes a great change ;)

So far she seems to prefer my partner which obviously I'd prefer if she liked me more lol but as long as shes happy I'm happy :)

spiritbird
12-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh my goodness such a gorgeous Conure. They are so much fun. Wishing you all the best.

Honesty
12-10-2013, 02:00 PM
He/She is adorable Emma. Congrats :) Is She/He a Sun Conure or a Jenday?

Debra
12-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Oh how beautiful! Congratulations on your new addition.

tonkatiel
12-10-2013, 10:14 PM
She's a Sun Conure :)
Wanted one for years (they're so beautiful!) But couldn't decide if I wanted to start getting birds from all different continents (if that makes sense lol)... Other than my lovebirds (African) all of my other birds are Australian, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to complicate things more... My Australian birds are sooo easy to find natural things for - ie. can go outside, grab a eucalyptus branch for them to destroy 100x a day if I want, whereas other birds I've read I have to be careful with doing that because eucalyptus isn't something they'd normally encounter and they can have bad reactions to having too much of it.
But in the end I decided she'd be worth the extra work ;) and definitely not regretting it, shes so cuddly! Lol... I still can't get over that since it's sooo much different to all my other birds lol

kendrafitz
12-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Congratulations!! She is gorgeous!

Mare
12-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Your new addition is beautiful!! I'm still needing to clip and send some eucalyptus leaves and branches from my yard, to Debra, but from what I understand, this is good stuff for most birds! :). (Debra, it's on my tomorrow's list!)

tonkatiel
12-10-2013, 11:19 PM
From what I read it IS good for all birds - but non Australian birds should have it only in moderation... I think it was on the birdtricks blog I read it and I haven't heard anything like it anywhere else so it may not be entirely factual lol but yeah... A koalas diet consists of pretty much only eucalyptus leaves, and koalas are known as being 'stoned' most of the time, because the eucalyptus has something in it that makes them all sleepy and such... Australian birds are apparently better able to handle the 'toxins' (for lack of a better word) than non-Australian birds...
I'll try and find the blog post lol, it was a long time ago that I read it so I can't remember the exact reasons for why she said other birds shouldn't have so much :/

tonkatiel
12-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Here it is :) apparently her macaw had a bad reaction to eating too much of it...

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Turquoise
12-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Your new Sunny girl (?) Is a real beauty. I hear they are very loving birds and yours must have read the book about it. :) I've always loved the Sun Conure colors. They are so vibrant and they get more gorgeous as they mature.

That was a very interesting read about the person in the blogs yearly trek for branches. It was equally interesting about how the B & G could not tolerate too much Eucalyptus. I can see how it could be too much for a non native bird to handle especially since it is a strong tree oil or that kind of thing. Thanks for adding the link. Those poor trees after the power company gets through with them tho. They look a bit like Amigos' tree Mare has a photo up of his handiwork. LOL

Debra
12-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Luckily, the birds I'm wanting to give eucalyptus to are Australian birds -- ekkie, tiels, and budgies. I'll give the quakers a little bit, but I really don't think they will chew on them as they are not big chewers. The main reason to give them a little bit is because if Frankie sees someone else getting something (be they human, bird, or cat), then he has to get something. lol

coltfire
12-12-2013, 05:50 AM
he/she is beautiful, we lucky to be able to walk out side and just grab a branch or two for our birds.

tonkatiel
12-12-2013, 10:00 AM
DNA results came back today and she IS a she! Yay!
Now just to argue with my partner about her name! I want to call her Mia, he wants Penelope!

Honesty
12-12-2013, 10:25 AM
I like Mia :)