PDA

View Full Version : Old dogs

Mare
12-09-2013, 02:02 AM
I'm getting older and can relate to age related issues but I'm still trying to figure out,,old dogs. We have several of them, now, and our oldest is an eighteen year old doxie. Her mama passed two years ago, at the age of 17. Dang!! That is old for a dog and I'm finding it hard to believe that they get more energetic towards the end of their cycle! Is it because they lose weight, at this point? Our Isha girl, 18yrs., is now running laps, compared to a year ago. She seems to be her healthiest, in years! Does anyone know what's up with this!?

ShellyBorg
12-09-2013, 04:29 AM
It shows what good care you have given her! I have a friend who has a 16 year old small dog and the older she gets the more she acts like a puppy!

Mare
12-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Thanks, Shelly, and yes we do take great care with our animals. We have an eleven year old German Shorthair Pointer dog that has an issue with it's leg, an abrasion that won't go away. He has an appt. with the vet that our son will be taking him to. This dog, Pete, was brought home, here, by our son, as a puppy...HIS puppy! :). His puppy that I had no to-do with. Anyways, eleven years later, I really don't want to be involved with vet bills on THIS puppy!! I love this dog, Pete. He is my boy. I just really want to make sure that his dad is financially responsible for him! Guess what,,he is!!:)

Turquoise
12-11-2013, 06:19 AM
I've had a couple of old toy poodles, but age wasn't so kind to them. One we had to let go at 14 1/2 yrs old due to his kidneys failing and he became blind rather quickly just before the kidney thing. My other one, my best friend in dog fur was 17 yrs old when he left me. He had arthritis very bad in his back, that didn't stop him from loping like a one hump camel trying to beat me to the door when he knew I was leaving without him. He had anxiety atracks when I was not home and screamed his barks out.

After my Mom died I inherited her 14 yr old toy poodle. He also had arthritis pretty bad and a large cyst knot on his side the vet warned not to take off due to his age. He said it was not hurting him to have it and if it did bother him, only then would he advise surgery. He lived another two yrs with us.

I'm glad to hear your old pups are having the time of their lives and feeling fine. :)

Mare
12-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks, Shelly and De', yeah, the old dogs are for real. We've always had dogs, cats, horses,,,mainly, I don't want to gross myself out with the etc...so, I won't go there :). Age is a for real thing and part of life so..we're dealing with it! It's ok with me!

spiritbird
12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Congrats Mare for taking such good care of your animals. I bet you take good care of your human family also.

Mare
12-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Dianne, and yes, I think I do take care with the "others"! :). When the time comes, after bunches of critters have run their coarse,, I think I'm going to bring in a little poodle. I will find him/her at the rescue and he/she will be the first dog that wasn't drug in by my kids! :th_biggrin:

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 09:48 PM
We would love to see pics of your dogs Mare! I agree with everyone else, It's your good care giving her the energy she has! LOL!