PDA

View Full Version : Wild parrots in flight

Copper
04-19-2013, 08:21 PM
I love all birds, and seeing parrots in the wild would be such a amazing thing so hopefully these pics can show us a glimpse.

The only wild parrots I have seen are invasive species, but still awesome none the less. I've seen the flock of wild conures in San Francisco several times, and while in LA I saw wild Indian ring necks, and two amazons.

vasa parrot

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

palm cockatoo

African gray

Cape parrot

Love bird

Maximilian Pionus

Thick billed parrot/conure

Galah

SF mitred conure flock

female red tailed cockatoo

Copper
04-19-2013, 08:22 PM
hyacinth macaw

red bellied macaw

military macaws

great green macaw

scarlet macaw

cuban amazon

saint Vincent amazon(captive)

Karigan
04-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Hey Copper, long time no see ;p. I love those pics, thanks for sharing!

Wendy K.
04-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Wait, first I have to lift my jaw off the floor!!!! :awesome-smiley-emot

Thank you SO much for sharing these astonishingly beautiful photos, Ashley!! Simply WOW!!! :D

buddingtwigs
04-19-2013, 10:53 PM
I can't imagine seeing parrots "in the wild". I would LOVE that. I have never been to California to see the wild parrots. (I would like to see California regardless, but have only been as far west as Arizona). Heck, i'm excited when i see "my woodpecker" in my maple tree in the back yard, hahaha, imagine what i would do if i saw wild parrots??

gemini_84
04-19-2013, 11:12 PM
it is an amazing sight, but what those pictures dont show you is the sound....lol.
Living here in the tropical north of australia i am priveledged enough to have a nice variety of wild parrots inc, lorrikeets, sulphur crested, red tail blacks, yellow tail black too's, galah's, major mitchells. in summer when the mango's are in season i have 100's of lorrikeets in my back yard. i will try and get some pictures of the wild birds and post them here. as i type i just red tails fly over the house sqwaking and of course my 3 joined in.

Copper
04-20-2013, 05:09 AM
it is an amazing sight, but what those pictures dont show you is the sound....lol.
Living here in the tropical north of australia i am priveledged enough to have a nice variety of wild parrots inc, lorrikeets, sulphur crested, red tail blacks, yellow tail black too's, galah's, major mitchells. in summer when the mango's are in season i have 100's of lorrikeets in my back yard. i will try and get some pictures of the wild birds and post them here. as i type i just red tails fly over the house sqwaking and of course my 3 joined in.

That's amazing! I would love to see the photos of the lorikeets next time they are there :D

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 02:52 PM

Oh my! I am truly green with envy! :th_jawdrop:

Maybe one day I shall be so lucky to hear/see this with my own 2 eyes. :D

aliray
04-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks so much for the pics. They only wild parrots I have seen here are wild quakers that were at one of the beaches eating sea grapes when the fruit was ripe.

gemini_84
04-20-2013, 09:25 PM
That's amazing! I would love to see the photos of the lorikeets next time they are there :D

probably wont be untill november/ december, that is when the fruit comes in. it is very beautiful sight, but oh my the noise, the noise, and of course my lot have to join in when the others are calling. my favourite sight is seeing the big black toos foragging onbthe groung for the nuts that have fallen out of trees.

Birdboy
04-20-2013, 09:52 PM
i see lots of parrots, and some other birds
- sulpher crested cockatoo's
- Sometimes red tail black cockatoo's
- corellas
- Rainbow lorekeets
- kookaburra's
- Magpies (extremelly anoying
- plovers (they attack and swoop at you, They have nested in our backyard for years in a row. Not a good time to be outside)
- Australian white ibis (after lots of rain)

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Stunning photos!

gemini_84
04-21-2013, 01:24 AM
i see lots of parrots, and some other birds
- sulpher crested cockatoo's
- Sometimes red tail black cockatoo's
- corellas
- Rainbow lorekeets
- kookaburra's
- Magpies (extremelly anoying
- plovers (they attack and swoop at you, They have nested in our backyard for years in a row. Not a good time to be outside)
- Australian white ibis (after lots of rain)

i hate plovers, im absolutely pettrified of them. As for magpies, i am kinda phobic of them to, although im getting better. i have about 12 that practically live in my yard and are quite timid. they have found where my kitty's bikky bowl is and help them selves. here is a pic of one of my resident magpies, this one is so timid he will eat from my hand

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

he doesnt quite have his adult feathers in this pic, but he does now. will have new babies in a few months.

Birdboy
04-21-2013, 06:28 AM
i hate plovers, im absolutely pettrified of them. As for magpies, i am kinda phobic of them to, although im getting better. i have about 12 that practically live in my yard and are quite timid. they have found where my kitty's bikky bowl is and help them selves. here is a pic of one of my resident magpies, this one is so timid he will eat from my hand

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

he doesnt quite have his adult feathers in this pic, but he does now. will have new babies in a few months.

we have one magpie that comes back every season, he/she is a devil and flys down from our big gum tree to swoop at us

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Very cool pics. I like that last guy too. What does the plover do if it catches you? Aren't they a kind of sea bird?

gemini_84
04-21-2013, 07:14 AM
no not these plovers... they nasty creatures, although its just protective instincts over their nests. tgey will swoop at you ifyou get near their nests which are on the ground in grass and un seen, magpies do the same (nests ate in trees tho) nut plovers have nasty spurs on their legs. they can do serious damage.

the magpies in my yard will swoop people as they walk past during breeding season, but not us

keepsmiling
04-21-2013, 07:25 AM
This is what we know of as a plover in Florida

gemini_84
04-21-2013, 07:36 AM
this is what ours are, i was mistaken regarding the spurs. they are actually on the wings.

Birdboy
04-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes, the spurs are under the wing, my aunts dog had its back sliced open when at the park. He needed stiches :(

Antoinette
04-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Truly amazing pic's OMG
I loved every single one
:applause:
Thanks for sharing

Blancaej
05-11-2013, 01:26 AM
Very Cool Ashley! Thanks for sharing that with us!