PDA

View Full Version : Owls

spiritbird
12-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I went to the wild bird store to see the owls this am. Awesome! The group is called the Phoenix Wildlife center. None of these owls can return to the wild because the injuries were too severe. 3 of the were hit by automobiles and have wing injuries. The one little screech owl was poisoned. See if you can identify them.

Blancaej
12-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I love owls! But I couldn't identify most of them. LOL!

Debra
12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I can't identify them either. But I love owls.

Interesting story. One evening my daughter and I were driving home from my work when this owl decided to play chicken with my car. He flew right into my windshield where my daughter was sitting! He hit my windshield with his beak and actually chipped my windshield. We, of course, stopped and checked on the owl. He sat there on the side of the road shaking his head as if to say "what was that?". We sat with him, watching him, and called my dad to get the number to the nearest Parks and Wildlife to see if they could help us. After about 10 to 15 minutes, he walked a little then actually flew up to a tree limb! We figured if he can fly and perch, then he must be going to be ok. I'm sure he had a sore beak for quite a while. We were all shook up. What if that little guy would have broken through the windshield? My daughter could have been seriously hurt and the owl could have been dead. We are so thankful that everything turned out ok. It was fascinating to be that close to one though. We were able to get within 5 feet of him while he was still shook up. He was beautiful!

Here is a picture my daughter drew from memory of the owl:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
12-07-2013, 09:31 PM
First one is a Barn owl, second is Great Horned, third is an adorable Screech owl and last in line is the Barred owl.

ShellyBorg
12-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Great pics. I lobe owls.

Mare
12-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Owls are beautiful birds! Definite predators with those eyes on the front of their faces!

Mayden
12-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Oohh! I got to cuddle an owl today! How apt that you posted!

Here's two pics of me and my partner cuddling 'Walter' the Great Horned(?). He's stunning, definitely going to book a full day of falconry with these guys! :)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] 27f484b19c16ccc24f7c063cb7a&oe=52A631E5&__gda__=1386657944_986dacbbb85e07fc4416e3e67490568 e

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

:D

Turquoise
12-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Those owls you posted up Dianne are beautiful! Too bad they can't ever be released into the wild again, but it is great that we have rescues for wild creatures so they can lead a good life and properly kept life. :th_hug8:

I think owls are gorgeous, but I would not have been able to name them either. Mayden the owl you have here is absolutely awesome!! He is so regal looking. I can see why you will want to spend more time with him. Thanks for posting the photos, they are super. :)

spiritbird
12-08-2013, 01:58 PM
The feathers on the Barn owl were stunning! He did open his wings a few times.

Mayden
12-08-2013, 04:12 PM
I stand corrected, he is an 'Eagle Owl'. :) + certainly an experience!

Barns are beautiful arn't they! I love how when you see them in trees and stuff, they just completely blend in... so wonderful!