PDA

View Full Version : Hi To All

Wayne361
12-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
I live in Oshawa, Ontario and became a parrot owner going on 3 years. My wife and I were looking for a bird for probably a year prior to aquiring Oscar, a re-homed Senegal parrot. Never had a bird before so I did lots of online research etc prior to ownership. Wanted a re-home for ethical/personal reasons.
Oscar came with some behavioural issues, namely biting/aggression, fear of most things, and extreme mood swings i.e. some days he seemed happy and wanted out of cage to interact and the next day he wanted nothing to do with anyone and would hiss and lash out if you opened his cage.
I researched online how to rectify the behavioural issues and all signs pointed to "training" as a means to the end. So using this info I started training Oscar. This was no small feat to begin with since he was absolutely terrified of the training perchs I made and likewise with chopstick I hoped to use to start in target training. This allowed me to research and implement desensitizing methods Once he figured out that the chopstick wasnt going to be used to kill him in any way he took to target training like a duck to water. This enabled me to desensitize him to other objects and the training perches were the first item on the agenda. Before this becomes a novel, I taught him about 4-5 basic tricks and progressed to flight training. He was previously clipped but had grown his fights back in but was unwilling to fly unless frightened. Flight training went very well to the point that he is now a confident flyer.
The purpose of all this training was to increase his tameness, fade away undesirable behaviours (biting, lunging, fearfullness etc) and build our bond. Training has done all of those and I am very proud of how far Oscar has come as he is now a very confident, much happier, vastly more tame, healthier bird than when I aquired him. In retrospect I think his agression was fear motivated because he never had the self confidence that training/flight allows a "normal" companion parrot. This is one of the reasons I am so against clipping as I have seen the difference in an unclipped flight trained bird.
All training is based on positive reinforcement (of which I am also a strong proponent) and I am continualling advancing new training scenarios and tricks.
I hope to help others out in terms of what I have learned and benefited from, as well as continue to learn as my journey in parrot ownership moves forward.

Wayne

Debra
12-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Hello and welcome to our forum Wayne. Sounds like you've formed a great bond with your Oscar. Kudos to you! I can't wait to learn more about you two. We'd love to see some pics of Oscar. He sounds like a great little bird.

Honesty
12-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Hello Wayne and :pp_welcome:Thank you for joining us.

It seems that you and Oscar have developed a great bond. Great news on the target training. It sounds like you done a great job with this :)

We would love to see some pics of Oscar and maybe when you have some spare time, you could share exactly how you done your training with Oscar!

spiritbird
12-04-2013, 06:30 PM
This is a very nice rescue story. Perhaps you would be good at physically helping others in the home. I believe there are programs to become an avian trainer or something like that. (Sally Blanchard) a good example Happy to have you here.

kendrafitz
12-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi Wayne and welcome! What a great story of your journey with Oscar! He is one very lucky guy, not only did you find each other, but you have devoted so much time and love to him. I am looking forward to reading all about your adventures and seeing pics!

Parrotlover83
12-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Hello & welcome :-)

Parrot Power...........:-)

Turquoise
12-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Welcome to our flock Wayne & Oscar! :th_greet13:

That is just awesome how you and Oscar learned together and have accomplished so much in way of trust and love in a very short time. You truly do have a gift and Oscar is a very lucky feathered friend. You will have to tell us more about your progress with Oscar and yes, photos and even video of Oscar in flight would be super!! :th_biggrin:

PlaxMacaws
12-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Hello Wayne... it's great to have you and Oscar with us! Your success with the desensitization of Oscar to feared objects in conjunction with target conditioning sounds like exactly what was needed in his case. Very impressive! You should indeed be a valuable resource to our community, since re-homed birds with various fears and phobias are quite common.

Mare
12-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Hi Wayne! Welcome! Loved your story on bringing Oscar along, sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your friend :)

Wayne361
12-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Hi thanks for the welcome and compliments. I am not interested in getting into the training side of things regarding others parrots as my time is limited with business interests BUT will help on the forums with advice when I can (from my own experience). Actually that is what I like about bird forums is I am now able to help others as others have helped me. I am also always learning and make it a point to delve into new areas i.e. expand learning, and modify training techniques for maximum benefit etc. I have seen first hand how training has turned Oscar around and the incredible bond it has given us, and as such find most undesirable behaviours can be modified/extinguished through proper training. Conversely desired behaviours can be reinforced. Anyhow, thanks for the welcome and hope to learn and contribute accordingly.

Wayne

Honesty
12-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Thank you Wayne :)

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Hello and Welcome Wayne!