PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Plated

Pat 621
12-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Are nickel plated chains they use in making parrot toys safe for parrots ? Seen one toy on Amazon that said not recommend for parrots that chew chains. What parrot does not chew and hang from chains ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Mare
12-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Hmmm.. Good question. My birds chew on EVERYTHING and still live! But, I'm with you, why would something be sold, for birds, and then have a warning like "please don't chew on this guys"!

Honesty
12-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I am not sure about this one either. Codie also chews on his chains and swings on them!

garden squirrel
12-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Quite a few years back there was a big thing about the chains on bird toys and it was recommended everyone brought stainless steel chains only. I am talking 20 years back . Then it all went quiet so not sure if it was scare mongers at the time. As my birds have never been ill through chains. At the time we all changed the chains . I still tend if a chain looks terribly cheap and nasty to change it but that is probably me being over cautious

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
This would be a good one to search out more info on. Thanks for bringing it up!

Grey
01-06-2014, 03:24 PM
there was an article in Parrot News. The January-February 2012 edition. Very good read for anyone interested. It covers all of the metals our birds may come in contact with, their various forms, hazard levels, ways of minimizing hazards, etc. According to the authors, Nickel plated steel is safe

Pat 621
01-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Very few toys these days come with stainless steel chains

Julius 07/09

mrgoogls
01-07-2014, 08:33 PM
im pretty sure nickel plating is safe, BUT is can chip and wear off. so you neeeed to watch it. but as long as its intact you should be good. i probably wouldnt use it for very heavy chews because they might start chipping it through the day. with light chewers you can at least check it every morning.

spiritbird
01-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Here is says safe - [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

crazyanimal
01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Yes Nickel plated is safe. I use it all the time in my toys and I've never had a problem with my customer's birds or my birds.