Debra
12-03-2013, 04:12 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
12-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Thank you for posting this Deb!

Cami
12-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Some of these are a real eye opener...cheese, Milk? Spencer drinks almond milk with me. Has anyone heard if almond milk is bad?

spiritbird
12-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Dangers do lurk if you have a tree and candles. Thanks for posting Deb and love the card of gold.

Debra
12-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Some of these are a real eye opener...cheese, Milk? Spencer drinks almond milk with me. Has anyone heard if almond milk is bad?

I believe almond milk is safe as it's not really dairy. Birds are basically lactose intolerant and almond milk has no lactose. At least that's my understanding. I've heard of people who use almond milk on their cereal and they let their birds eat with them out of the same bowl.

Cami
12-04-2013, 02:01 AM
I believe almond milk is safe as it's not really dairy. Birds are basically lactose intolerant and almond milk has no lactose. At least that's my understanding. I've heard of people who use almond milk on their cereal and they let their birds eat with them out of the same bowl.

Thank you, both my boys run to the bowl. I did not know that birds were lactose intolerant. It's strange because I just bought a chunk of mild cheddar two weeks ago (i never buy cheese bcuz of the fat content) I was having some and Spencer, right next to me, tried it and loved it. I had to put it back in the fridge just to get it out of his sight so he'd calm down.

JadeC
12-06-2013, 04:39 PM
I've heard of birds eating small amounts of cheese and milk.. Meiko has eaten cheese and milk and he's fine.

plax
12-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Most avian vets will tell you that milk and cheese are to be entirely avoided. In addition to the high fat content of cheese, it can as well plug up a bird's digestive tract. When I was younger -and far more ignorant- I used to eat lots of pizza and allow Jack & Maynard to help me consume it :th_shakehead:. They absolutely adore cheese! I never offer it to them now :(. I think all parrots must enjoy cheese... it's a shame that it's unhealthy for them, and in more than one way :(

Rice milk was always a good substitute on cereal as far as my birds enjoying some of it. But since I've learned that rice naturally absorbs significant levels of arsenic during its growth period, and because the US Government doesn't regulate the arsenic levels within rice products, I don't use much rice milk anymore. As previously stated, almond milk is probably a good choice. Watch sugar levels in (or on) the cereals, though!

JadeC
12-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Most avian vets will tell you that milk and cheese are to be entirely avoided. In addition to the high fat content of cheese, it can as well plug up a bird's digestive tract. When I was younger -and far more ignorant- I used to eat lots of pizza and allow Jack & Maynard to help me consume it :th_shakehead:. They absolutely adore cheese! I never offer it to them now :(. I think all parrots must enjoy cheese... it's a shame that it's unhealthy for them, and in more than one way :(

Well, I don't give a lot of cheese, just a little taste. I don't eat much cheese either because it's so bad for you. Birds are just so tiny and so they only need a taste to be consuming the same amount we eat. Everything in moderation.

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Very good post Debra!