PDA

View Full Version : sleeping conure

Animalman2046
04-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi all I have a rescued 5 month old CBC (crimson bellied conure) who I have only had for a month. While he was with the breeder he sustained a broken leg and it wasn't treated so now has healed back crooked and non-functional. He has started sleeping at night for the last couple of night under his cage newspapers. Is this unusual behavior and should I be concerned??????? Does anyone else have a conure or parrot that does the same thing? Any advice or suggestions???? Thanks!

buddingtwigs
04-19-2013, 01:17 PM
My bird doesn't SLEEP there but he often likes to burrow under the papers during the day. However, Gilbert does have a little "toy configuration" around where he sleeps, making it kind of a cocoon. Maybe your bird wants a little tent or snuggly hut thing for sleeping?

Animalman2046
04-19-2013, 01:23 PM
buddingtwigs he has one and doesn't use it but thanks!

roxynoodle
04-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Some conures will sleep on the bottom of their cages, and when they do so laying on their backs can scare the heck out of their owners, lol!

My Grey is blind and usually sleeps on the bottom of her cage.

I think he may be doing it because of his handicap. Really, it's probably easier for him than when he was sleeping hanging on the cage bars. As always though if you are concerned he may be ill, have your vet check him out :)