PDA

View Full Version : Zaffer's recovery progress :D

plax
12-02-2013, 06:29 PM
It's with pride and admiration that I present my best friend, Zaffer, engaging in a bout of foot-play with his water jugs again. Note how he is extending his right leg and grasping the jug with his foot. He is behaving quite normally now - for which I'm so very thankful! :D. And his leg feathers have almost fully returned as well!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Debra
12-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Tony, that is wonderful! Just look at him play with those jugs. He's such a happy boy. I know you are over the moon with joy at his recovery.

plax
12-02-2013, 06:52 PM
I know you are over the moon with joy at his recovery.I am indeed! Thanks Debra :)

spiritbird
12-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I am sure Zaf is happy right along with you. When did you start to notice improvement? I am so very happy for you.

Honesty
12-02-2013, 08:39 PM
It is lovely to see Zaf more or less back to his normal self :) I am so happy for both you and Zaf :woohoo-dancing-bana

Pinkbirdy
12-02-2013, 08:52 PM
You Go Zaf !!!!!! What a toy to play with [I wonder in the wild what he thinks that is :)]. I thought it was him talking but its someone else [right]. Macaws are our best friends aren't they :)

plax
12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
When did you start to notice improvement?Thanks Dianne. He seemed to make gradual improvements each day throughout November :)

plax
12-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Thank you Terri :)

I thought it was him talking but its someone else [right].That's Salsa in the background.

Macaws are our best friends aren't they :)I know they are mine :)

Mare
12-03-2013, 12:19 AM
So very AWESOME!! Makes my heart sing to see this! I'm really happy for you and Zaffers, Tony! I'm definitely going to try the plastic jugs on my birds, always looking for new adventures for them :)

plax
12-03-2013, 12:29 AM
So very AWESOME!! Makes my heart sing to see this! I'm really happy for you and Zaffers, Tony!Thanks so much, Mare :D

I'm definitely going to try the plastic jugs on my birds, always looking for new adventures for them :)I've had to ad lib with Zaf because he's afraid of most toys. During his recovery period I was able to get him to halfway trust one rope toy that has bright colors, though. Brightly colored toys have always scared him the most :(

Mare
12-03-2013, 01:05 AM
I guess all birds are different. Do you think with age, Zaf will become more bold or is this a macaw trait? My cockatoos 'in your face' boldness is challenging in it's own way. I think I would welcome knowing a more shy bird.

Pinkbirdy
12-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Can you tell us your story on getting Zaf [were you looking for a Hyacinth] or did he just come your way:)

plax
12-03-2013, 01:56 AM
I guess all birds are different. Do you think with age, Zaf will become more bold or is this a macaw trait? My cockatoos 'in your face' boldness is challenging in it's own way. I think I would welcome knowing a more shy bird.Zaf is 24 years old, so I doubt his personality is likely to change much in the future. I am able to condition him to new things to a point... but it largely depends upon the circumstances and the objects involved. I don't think it's necessarily a Macaw trait... Salsa is quite a bold bird! I think it's more a trait of the individual parrot than anything else.

plax
12-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Can you tell us your story on getting Zaf [were you looking for a Hyacinth] or did he just come your way:)I'd always wanted a Hy. In early 2005 I stumbled across a classified ad on the Internet for one. There was a telephone number so I called. The lady who answered told me that Zaf's owner (her husband) had passed away and that Zaf had been in boarding at a vet clinic for about a year. She further told me that the staff at the clinic were afraid of Zaf so he was never allowed out of his cage. She also stated that someone had already agreed to purchase him. I called back a couple of weeks later just in case. The lady told me that the prospective buyer had decided upon another bird. I thus felt it was up to me to get him out of the clinic and protect him from an uncertain future. The rest is history.

kendrafitz
12-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Yayyyyy Zaf!!!! What great strides he has made. He looks wonderful and happy.

I love Salsa in the background calling "Papa.....hello". Love those boys!!

plax
12-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Yayyyyy Zaf!!!! What great strides he has made. He looks wonderful and happy.

I love Salsa in the background calling "Papa.....hello". Love those boys!!Thanks Kendra :)

Cami
12-03-2013, 02:24 AM
Thats a great story; I loved seeing him play and just being able to be a regular bird. So Glad he's doing so well :th_biggrin:

plax
12-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Thank you Cami :)

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 08:36 PM
It is soooo nice to see Zaf doing so well Tony! Sorry I'm late to the party but as you know December was a blur for me. LOL!

I also love Zaf's story. I think it was meant to be. You both are meant for each other, he couldn't be with a better owner. :th_biggrin:

plax
01-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Thanks Blanca :)

94lt1
01-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Awesome!!! I'm glad that little guy is back at it..:)

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Rescued
03-02-2014, 10:27 PM
I know I haven't been here in a while do to crazy stuff at home, but I have been keeping Zaf in my prayers. I am so happy he is back to his normal self.

plax
03-02-2014, 10:36 PM
I know I haven't been here in a while do to crazy stuff at home, but I have been keeping Zaf in my prayers. I am so happy he is back to his normal self.Thanks so much Elizabeth... he's in fact sitting on my shoulder preening himself as I type :D

BeakFace
03-04-2014, 09:22 AM
I guess I am missing the part where he got hurt? What happened. He is beautiful. Was he sweet when you got him or did you have to work with him? Just curious. I just got a bird that will be 15 in April. Her name Black Palm Luci, as seen on Youtube. She is delight but finding toys she likes is hard. I am going to try the plastic jugs.

PlaxMacaws
03-04-2014, 01:44 PM
I guess I am missing the part where he got hurt? What happened.Zaf broke his right leg in September. Here's his accident thread:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

And here are some follow-ups:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

He is beautiful.Thanks :)

Was he sweet when you got him or did you have to work with him? Just curious.Zaf has always been an extremely sweet bird. When he first came to live with me, however, he was easily startled and afraid of many common objects around the house. He has made HUGE leaps in that regard; he is much more secure in his environment now!

I just got a bird that will be 15 in April. Her name Black Palm Luci, as seen on Youtube.I love Black Palm Toos! Would you mind posting some photos and/or videos of her here?

She is delight but finding toys she likes is hard. I am going to try the plastic jugs.Zaf's favorite juggling toys are the plastic jugs, some stainless steel bowls (he plays hockey with them and also juggles them from foot to foot while flapping and hanging from his beak), and the most recent toy he has become desensitized to and loves is one of those natural rubber holey balls (he juggles it between his feet and plays catch with me with it, and he loves to go fetch it when I throw it for him).

Macaw Lover
03-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Speaking of toys, Doris has come up with a couple that I am waiting to get.

Make sure you watch the video for the Square Dance. The other one is the Puzzle Shaker. Doris said it was made designed for a couple of Hy's and I think that would be Pam's babies but I never asked her if that was right or not.

They are also supposed to be coming out with something really big but don't know what it is yet.

PlaxMacaws
03-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Speaking of toys, Doris has come up with a couple that I am waiting to get.

Make sure you watch the video for the Square Dance. The other one is the Puzzle Shaker. Doris said it was made designed for a couple of Hy's and I think that would be Pam's babies but I never asked her if that was right or not.

They are also supposed to be coming out with something really big but don't know what it is yet.Hey those are great :D. I'll have to order the Square Dance for Zaf! He would be afraid of the ones with colored plastic parts on them. But the Square Dance looks like something he could get used to and love very quickly, since he adores SS stuff :)

Thanks for the links :)