PDA

View Full Version : Leaving tomorrow..

Mare
11-27-2013, 09:55 PM
My husband, myself, oldest son and daughter are flying out of San Francisco to Oaxaca, Mexico, to meet with the youngest of our clan who has been there for almost 3 months doing his "Quarter Abroad" program through his school at UCDAVIS. We have been taking care with Watson, his rabbit, through this time and Watson has GROWN to the point of having the Flemish Giant roll, around his neck, appear when he is laying down. I just got off the phone with my son and told him of this, (afraid I would be admonished for letting Watson get too fat), but NO!! My son was ecstatic! Seems that's a sign of maturity in these rabbits! :)

The birds are all settled in to their room, I feel a bit sorry for Chip having to be in such close proximity to the very LOUD cockatoos but that is where the constant temperature will be. The person we have taking care of the place will be here morning and evening but with a fireplace being our source of heat in the rest of the house, I thought it best to keep the birds all in one room. I've gotten Amigo to eat his medication in a small bit of banana so I'm hoping this works while we're gone.

Anyways, you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving and I'll see you in a week! (If I can find Internet down there you'll hear from me sooner! :th_biggrin:)

Pinkbirdy
11-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Have a great time !! Happy Thanksgiving

Honesty
11-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Have a lovely time Mare. See you soon. Happy Thanksgiving :)

coltfire
11-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Have a great time and happy Thanksgiving

Mare
11-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Thanks all! I'm not gone yet, so here is a pic of Watson and his neck roll. He is still new to this fatty addition,,it gets bigger with age and so does he!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
11-28-2013, 01:31 AM
Have a wonderful trip Mare. Happy Thanksgiving!

Love the pic of Watson! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pinkbirdy
11-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Mare ,Watsons a female [I had a lot of rabbits growing up] .Shes not overweight ,the role under her chin [is called a dewlap]. .Only the females have it. So tell your son Im sorry Watson may be a Wilma:)

Mare
11-28-2013, 03:09 AM
Holy Moly, Terri! Watson had his balls clipped off a few months back! Unless there was a mistake, Watson was a he! I'm guessing that Flemish Giants have this peculiarity unto themselves!?

Mayden
11-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Was going to say something about gender. Most females get this roll (my dutch had one, we thought she was fat, but nope!) - they use it to nab fur and make nests with it! But my baby boy has one too, he's a French Lop (Which is flem giant X english lop), it's just something a fair few 'big' rabbits get. No overweight needed :p

Poppy hasn't got hers yet, but you can see it 'coming in' so to speak. :)

He's definitely a big boy, what a handsome bun!

Mayden
11-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Here's a little quick reference for lots of bunny things.

Bunny Shed ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Bigfoot does the foot flicking a lot when we kick him out of a room. He gets very grumpy about it :p

Running circles, as said on Bunny Shed is not a male only thing either. My last female bun used to do it a lot for me before she was spayed. If I can find the videos of her as a young bun, I'll post them. She was so sweet. :)

spiritbird
11-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Enjoy and eat hearty.

Pinkbirdy
11-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Mare ,If he had balls [Im stumped] :)

Turquoise
11-29-2013, 07:26 AM
:ROFLMAODog: Mare you & Terri have me in stitches laughing over this one!!:th_rofl: Watson/Wilma is gorgeous for sure even if he/she/ya''ll may have a strange bunny in your house.:th_LOL:

I had rabbits when I was still living at home as a teenager. My Does had the roll under their chins and my Buck did not. Mine were not Flemish Giants tho, and I don't have any experience with them. Like Mayden said of one of her Does running around in circles, I too had one female who did this and she tried to hump the male instead of him her when I tried to breed them. She was a female, but she acted more like a male, then would build a nest as if she were going to have baby bunnies. She would never breed, but went through the suedo-pregnancy every time after chasing the male all over the cage. LOL

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving Mare. Sorry I am a bit late on this. I got off work yesterday morning for my 4 off and am just getting caught up or rather trying to catch up on all the threads I miss out on during my work days. Have lots of fun and enjoy yourself. Amigo will be especially happy to see you when you get back!!:th_biggrin:

Mare
12-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately, we spent all of Thanksgiving Day either on planes or running around airports but so worth the trip to be here in Oaxaca, Mexico. The place we are staying in is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! My daughter found it on-line. The family that owns it lives in Oregon, now, but lived here for five years before moving back to the states to put their daughter into high school, there. The home is filled with unbelievable Oaxacan art, rugs, tapestries, pottery, baskets, etc., etc., truly lovely. We are up in the hills from Oaxaca city and it is very peaceful here :)

I stayed at the casa today, to get a break from traveling, while the family is out touring the sights. They are headed to a ruin that I've seen before, so I thought I would lay in the sun and catch up with my reading and, yes, they have Internet here! Here is an embroidered piece on the wall, the pic didn't come out great but you'll get the picture:)

Here is a pic from our patio.

This place truly is amazing but I'm finding myself missing my birds! Stop it, Mare, stop it!! We speak with our friend, who is staying with our critters, daily, and he is bonding up with them all and says that even Amigo is being a happy guy about the whole being abandoned part and is eating his medicine dosed banana, mostly :). He takes Sassy out, daily, and he says, "Boy!, she really lives up to her name!", heehee!:th_biggrin:

Talk at you all later

Honesty
12-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm glad you are having a lovely time Mare! That painting is lovely and the view from your patio is breathtaking:)

Mare
12-01-2013, 07:55 PM
This is one of the masks on a wall. I'm def going to be bringing home some parrot art from this area!

Mare
12-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm supposing these feathers must have come from the owners home in Oregon!

I going to send them a few cockatoo feathers to add to the pot! :)

kendrafitz
12-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Wow, it looks beautiful! Have a wonderful vacation and I can't wait to hear all about it!!

Blancaej
12-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Beautiful pics Mare! I am so glad you and the family are having a good time and the birds are doing well! See, you can go away on vacation with birds. As long as you leave them a good babysitter! LOL! I can't wait to hear all about your trip on your return!

Mare
12-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Oh, oh, I'm totally, seriously, missing my birds right now. Who would have known!? Not me!! I was hoping that to be away from all the noise and commotion, would be freeing...nope, no, not. I'm thankful that they are being well cared for, I am that. I miss them like I would miss a child of mine. I miss them,,weird? Am I weird?

Turquoise
12-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Weird~~Yes~~Definitely~~Just as weird as the rest of us crazy folks sitting on the same limb gushing over the wild creatures who hold the key to our heart!! :)

Oh My Heavens that home you are staying in is absolutely gorgeous! I love all the things they have & the way it is laid out. Intriguing to me that they don't worry about 'strangers' walking off with a few knickknacks after they leave. Not you, I am not meaning you. But, I assume they regularly rent it out to tourist and I would just be so worried being all the way up in Oregon that some of the folks might not be so honest.

Of course Amigo is OK with you 'abandoning' him since he knows darn well you would never do that. He knows you very well and knows you could not live without your best bud in your life.:th_hug8: Birds are smart and they know when we truly love them and what is going on better than we sometimes think they do. He will be so happy to see you. Amigo is all of ours 'Special Boy' (We live and love him through your writings.) and I can't wait to hear how he reacts when you get home. :th_biggrin:

Mare
12-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks, folks, I just hope I don't come home to piles of feathers on the floor of their cages! Yeah, De', these are some trusting folks, for sure! Some of the things here are museum quality pieces! I spoke with the owner, Adele is her name, a few times before booking the place. Maybe she got a good feel from me, don't know, not sure how she works it but she was very welcoming on the phone and this place was set up with a full fruit basket, eggs and milk in the fridge, full spice rack and pantry! We are paying only $675 for six days, sooo worth it. We rented a car at the airport and thankfully our son knows how to get around and where to go. Ok, getting yelled at to get in the car, see you later!

Mare
12-03-2013, 01:36 AM
Today, we drove to Monte Alban ruins. People lived here from B.C. to 800A.D. Over 1,000 years. Spanish influence had never touched these people. It sets atop the highest hill in the region and overlooks the Oaxacan valley.

Here are a few more pics. This is looking down on Oaxaca city.

The kids walking down some steps,,scary travels, for me!

Daughter, hubs and son, up top.

Good day! :). I love Mexico, has anyone here ever been there?

Debra
12-03-2013, 03:21 PM
How beautiful! I've been to Mexico once, but I was only about 6 then so I don't remember much about it. You are lucky to be enjoying such beautiful surroundings. Keep enjoying yourself and making memories for your family.

Honesty
12-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Beautiful pics Mare. I haven't been to Mexico, but would love to go!

Mare
12-04-2013, 02:32 AM
The country is mostly poor, they produce the most incredible, colorful art that I've ever seen. I just think the world of the people, most can be very kind and courteous. Driving in the cities, though, is a NIGHTMARE!! I refuse to drive and just hang on for dear life with my eyes closed! My daughter took the wheel yesterday and the screaming from the back seat was world class! There are no divider lines in the roads here and you can go from 2 to 3 to 4 cars wide, in a matter of seconds! It reminds me of water flowing down a river, you just kind of go with the flow! Here are a couple of pics from our day.

This is a ruin in the town of Mitla. When the Spanish came, they built a church on top of the site, not cool, if you ask me!

Walking around the ruins.

This is some machine embroidery on one of the dresses I bought.

Honesty
12-04-2013, 08:46 AM
You have some beautiful pics to remember this holiday by Mare :)

Debra
12-04-2013, 02:46 PM
That dress is beautiful! I can't believe they built a church on top of the ruins. Near the ruins, I can see, but on top of? What were they thinking?

Mare
12-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Wendy! We've had a wonderful holiday, leaving tomorrow to head back home. I'm ready to see my animal family, for sure, but we are heading into cold, snowy weather,, brrr...My daughter just walked in from laying out by the pool, she says she had had enough sun! She'll be eating those words tomorrow!!

Debra, yeah, it's crazy the way the church was built there! My husband thinks it was a show of dominance by the Spaniards!