PDA

View Full Version : High weight gaining food suggestions.

garden squirrel
11-26-2013, 06:26 PM
My African grey pip is very unwell at the moment. I will explain situation when I can work out where I am meant to post. Due to a relapse in health pip has suffered a co ordination problem. He is losing weight. Being a grey he is particularly fussy. And am struggling to find things that will help him weight gain. He is eating his food but since relapse refusing any fruit and veg or pellets. It is vital I get weight back on him.
He is happy in himself and is not in any pain , but I am sure you all can understand my concern that he be losing weight. He will not eat pasta , tried him on kaytee baby food but think I wore more of that. Any suggestions would be helpful. Many thanks

ShellyBorg
11-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Avitec Makes a weight gain supplement. You can also offer egg foods and even offer some hand feeding formulas. Try soaking pellets in fruit juice and offering warm. Add coconut oil and or red palm oil in to there diet along with offering more nuts. Almonds are a high caloric, healthy nut that not many birds will turn down.

As to wear to post you can put a intro for your grey under the grey area, or go ahead and put it here.

Honesty
11-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Have you tried the hand rearing formula from Scarletts Dawn?

You can put about Pip's health in the "Healthcare" forum, or if you would like to tell the story on your devastating experience, you can put that in "General Bird Discussion" forum :)

garden squirrel
11-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi thank you for the suggestions. No not tried the one from Scarlett. Reason went for kaytee hand rearing formula was that I hand reared him as a baby on it. Will look into one at Scarlett's. Ok will try explain to everyone what happened here. Will try find discussion bit.

spiritbird
11-26-2013, 07:22 PM
My suggestions are as follows: Try feeding warm soft foods like oatmeal from a spoon. You can add things like dried fruit that has been cut up small. You can try some of the baby foods mixed with crumbled corn bread. My TAG loved those types of foods. Also on My Safe Bird store they make a wonderful mix birds just cannot seem to turn down. It is called Bountiful Harvest:

BHPB - Bountiful Harvest PLUS Blend for Parrots PER LB. ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

*NEW* Recommended for Greys, Eclectus, Cockatoos and Egg Layers. An awesome MyBirdSafeStore custom blend consisting of human grade dried vegetables, nuts, fruits, herbs and natural pellets - PLUS added cuttlebone, shelled almonds, chili peppers and cinnamon sticks - all very pleasing to your bird's taste buds and HEALTHY! This blend is not loaded with a ton of sugar-coated and sulfured "filler" and contains over 75 different ingredients. NO PEANUT BLEND. Buy more and SAVE! Click the picture for quantity discounts.
CLICK PICTURE AND SCROLL OVER IT WITH YOUR CURSOR FOR A BETTER VIEW AND BLEND INGREDIENTS.

Nuts are also good such as walnts pre cracked Good luck and please let us know how your Grey is doing. Do you have a scale?

Honesty
11-26-2013, 08:50 PM
This is the hand rearing formula at Scarletts. Here is the link...

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
11-26-2013, 09:03 PM
You have gotten some great advice here. I have nothing to add except I hope you can get his weight up. Keep us posted!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

garden squirrel
11-28-2013, 10:19 AM
A quick update, last night had a friend here who had not seen pip for a week, they were thrilled at his improvement. I think because all my time is spent here I sometimes don't see they are improving. He thinks pip has gained some weight is more mobile and bright eyed.
I don't want to get my hopes too high yet as I realise pip is a long way from total recovery, but am thrilled that someone can see an improvement.
I am very great ful for all the suggestions given on this thread and will certainly be trying what I can to keep him gaining weight. All our birds are very special and the bond we get is very close. My hope is full recovery for pip. Thank you

Honesty
11-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the update Dawn. I am really pleased to hear Pip is improving again. Hopefully he will continue to gain weight!

Turquoise
12-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I don't have any new things to add for you either Dawn. Everyone has given excellent advice and a lot of variety to get weight back on your precious Pip. I do hope Pip gets back the weight he has lost due to his illness.

I so hope all goes well, yes please keep us posted as to Pip's progress and {((Hugs))} to you. it can't be easy what you and your birds have gone through.:th_hug8:

garden squirrel
01-02-2014, 12:12 AM
As an update pip now on good weight. His co ordination has settled and I now have a very naughty bird that has chewed a lump out of my sofa. We thro again.i will post some videos of pip at some stage.he eating his fruit again and think things on the up . Or I will get Wendy to put videos up ha ha as I don't know how too. Computer numpty here.