PDA

View Full Version : Macaw Squawk Protectors!

Blancaej
11-26-2013, 05:03 PM
My son Marcus (turning 4 in February) had a difficult time when we brought Savannah home way back in April with her loud squawks! But she got better about being so loud and he learned to cope with it and leave the room when she got started. He cried at first when she would squawk in the room. Especially the dinning room as it echos! But like I said, over time he learned to cope with it and was doing so much better.

Then we get Coqui, now they are squawking back and forth to each other. Marcus can deal with it most of the time, but sometimes it is just too much on those little ears! The other night we had all the birds in the dinning room eating with the family, Marcus hadn't had his nap, and the birds started squawking! He began to cry. So my hubby went and got his ear protectors he uses when firing a rifle and mowing the lawn. Marcus wore them them while enjoying his dinner and was quite happy! :th_biggrin:

We are going to leave them in the dinning room for now on in case our little Marcus needs a break from the noise!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
11-26-2013, 05:31 PM
What a lovely picture Blanca. Great idea with the headphones :)

Blancaej
11-26-2013, 05:35 PM
It works amazingly well! It will at least help until Coqui & Savannah quiets down and gets more comfortable with each other. Savannah squawked a lot when we first brought her home but only did it on occasion before we brought Coqui home. Now it's just going through the adjustment period again with both of them!

ShellyBorg
11-26-2013, 05:55 PM
That was a great idea! I need them for my kids when I leave the house and my chicken is yelling for me!

Honesty
11-26-2013, 05:56 PM
I would imagine the squawking is unbearable for those delicate little ears!

Blancaej
11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
It is! My daughter copes with it fine. But Marcus being so young, it must hurt those little ears. I'm glad we came up with a solution so he can tolerate it better for now. Some nights we only bring in one Macaw at a time into the dinning room to ease up on the noise! When they are all eating, it's fine! But when they are done, watch out! I do feel it will get better at some point. :)

Shelly - definitely invest in a pair! LOL! :)

Debra
11-26-2013, 06:23 PM
What a great idea!

Mare
11-27-2013, 02:27 AM
I can relate to little buddy Marcus! I imagine macaws are even louder than cockatoos and when mine get going, it turns into an out of body experience just to escape the moment!

Blancaej
11-27-2013, 03:10 AM
It can make you want to crawl under a rock. Lol! Having 2 macaws has made for some heavy duty noise!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mare
11-27-2013, 04:23 AM
I so appreciate my little Chip :)

Pinkbirdy
11-27-2013, 12:18 PM
He So cute !!!!

Blancaej
11-27-2013, 01:02 PM
I so appreciate my little Chip :)

I certainly appreciate Quincy using words and goofy noises rather then a squawk! I would imagine Chips noise level is about the same as our linnies. So much easier on the ears. :D

He So cute !!!!

Thanks! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pinkbirdy
11-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Its like you hit the jungle here :) [and you would want to hog tie Pearl [he he]]

coltfire
11-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Great idea with the head phones. My x had to wear ear plugs to sleep with my guys as when they go off it is very loud on the ears

Turquoise
12-02-2013, 07:26 AM
That's a great idea Blanca! I can certainly understand Marcus' pain as I had super sensitive hearing when I was a child and young adult. Loud noises like the vac & electrical power tools made my ears literally hurt like someone ripping the ear drum apart. Old age can be a godsend cause noises are so much more duller even when annoying & loud, now. LOL

Before I moved my bedroom and it was on the other side of my macaw boy's enclosures, I considered getting some ear protectors on the rare occasions they made noise while I slept for work. I was in WalMart and looked at the ones approved for gun noise protection. My only problem with them was I could still hear lots of noise in the store and thought, "Now how is this going to help if I can still hear folks all around me?" "I want to drown the squawks completely out for sleep!" So I didn't buy any.

I used to use ear plugs to drown out my hubby's snoring, but they hurt my ears if I used them for too long & unless I plastered them into my ear canal the noise just came around them and was of no use. Plus if I have them cut out all noise, I can't hear the alarm go off. Now I just close the door to the main part of the house & with my fan running on high year round I don't hear a thing. The only time mine bother me when I am up is if they are right by me and they sound off with the, "Where did you go, brother/sister or which ever bird they think they lost, scream." That is usually Roscoe and Angel squawking to each other when one is on the play perch & the other chooses to stay in their home. :(

Blancaej
01-05-2014, 08:32 PM
I am glad you didn't invest in the ear protection when you could still hear store noise when trying them out. We both know that it would have been no help against squawking macaws! LOL! How do you deal with your hubbies snoring now? Does the fan drown that out? Luckily my hubby doesn't snore unless he has a cold. LOL!

I am happy to report that Marcus is no longer crying when Coqui squawks. Like Savannah, she is doing it less and Marcus has adjusted as well. So no more ear protection. LOL!