PDA

View Full Version : Let the baking begin

Debra
11-24-2013, 04:55 PM
This holiday season is starting out to be a busy one for me. We're going to my brother's house for Thanksgiving and my nephew requested buttermilk pie and a pound cake from me. My brother said if I was going to make Justin a pie I needed to make HIM a pie too! Luckily my recipe makes two pies. lol. Then, my daughter's fiance told me he was out of salsa and he hadn't had a pound cake in a year plus he's never had a buttermilk pie. Ok, so there's another day of baking. Luckily I had enough salsa on hand to take to him.

Then, on the fun side, my daughter found the sugar cookie recipe that I used to use when we baked cookies for her friends at Christmas time. I had lost it as they quit printing it on the bottle of corn syrup I used. So, I've got sugar cookie dough chilling in the fridge and will be making us and her some cookies. May have to make a couple or three batches this season. lol

Oh, and my Christmas shopping for the kids is all but complete! Just a few gift cards left. Now, on to my hubby.........

Honesty
11-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Your Pies and cakes sound really yummy Deb. I have been making cakes today too. I have made a lemon drizzle cake and a carrot cake.
I will start making mince pies soon and freeze them.

I am almost done with Christmas shopping. I just have Tiegan's left to get :)

Blancaej
11-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Oh boy Debra, that sounds delicious!! You are going to be a busy girl. I'm also impressed you got the kids shopping done! I haven't even started yet!

Pinkbirdy
11-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Im making pumpkin rolls [cake ] to bring to my moms . Xmas shopping started [wish I was done !! :)}

kendrafitz
11-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Wow, I am envious! I have barely started shopping. We are hosting Thanksgiving, but I haven't even shopped for it yet, forget bake! I am guessing I better get on it! Wish I was as organized as you ladies!!! :)

spiritbird
11-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I would rather eat than bake!! I did make pumpkin bars though.

Turquoise
11-29-2013, 06:49 AM
You really do have a lot you had to get done Debra. Very impressive! :)

I have no family close by, so I didn't make anything for Thanksgiving since I have no family to feed any longer and won't be cooking anything for Christmas for the same reason. Hubby Jerry & I got off work yesterday morning for our 4 off, went to WalMart to get a few things. Then wet to Denny's and ate their version of turkey dinner. Not even close to homemade, but it was edible. We came home & slept til late afternoon.

I don't have much family to buy for at Christmas time anymore and so I mostly just send cards. We will be off for Christmas since our shift cycle falls that way and it will be just me, Jerry & the critter kids like so many past Christmases. It is what it is and we are used to it and accept it.

Glad to hear so many have their shopping done already. Ya'll don't have to fight your way through the hoards of crowds shopping early. :th_biggrin: