PDA

View Full Version : maxx is back

coltfire
11-24-2013, 05:47 AM
Im so happy im over the moon maxx was found today over 30 kms away .he is in good form for being missing for 7 weeks although he does have missing feathers. Lexx is so happy she went straight to the box and started setting it up.

coltfire
11-24-2013, 05:48 AM
And it seems he has been flying wild all this time. His Weight is good

Turquoise
11-24-2013, 09:24 AM
What are the odds that Maxx would come home after so long none the worse but a few feathers missing. :th_hug8:

I am so glad you have him back and lets hope his wandering days are over with and he is ready to step up to the plate and be the husband Lexxy expects him to be from now on. LOL

kendrafitz
11-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Wow, I am so happy for you all!! Hopefully he will stay put now that he knows how good he has it! ☺️

Honesty
11-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Wow! This is fantastic news Steve! I am so happy for you :)

coltfire
11-24-2013, 12:35 PM
He was sighted 2weeks ago about 18km from here today. I get an email from lost and found pets saying someone has sited a colorful bird I ring as no description given. I described maxx and they said it sounds like him ,jumped in car drive 30 min and as soon as i seen him I knew it was him. But he would not come down so sent sister back to get lexx and as soon as he seen her he came down. The 7 weeks in the wild has made him so buff he is twice the size he was before leaving
. To the point I was not sure if it was him. But lexx knew and as soon as we got home and put them in their cage lexx went straight to setting up her box. Then maxx decided to help.
I cant tell You how happy I am. After 14 years I dont ever want to go through this again. So it might be awhile before next free flight.

Blancaej
11-24-2013, 12:47 PM
That is fantastic news! Wow, 7 weeks flying free. Sounds like he had quite the adventure! I'm glad he is ok and back with Lexx!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

spiritbird
11-24-2013, 01:02 PM
I know you must be happy over the moon. Sounds as if he was happy in his free flight time too. He knows how to survive in the wild which should make you more comfortable if he manages to escape again.

Debra
11-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Oh Steve! I'm so happy to be reading this. I know you and Lexx must be so relieved. It sounds like Lexx is happier too. Congratulations on getting him back!

Pinkbirdy
11-24-2013, 01:43 PM
WOW , WOW ,WOW that's wonderful !

plax
11-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Congratulations Steve!! That's wonderful news!!! :th_biggrin:

Mare
11-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Such fantastic news!! I can imagine how heartbroken you've been over losing him, I'm so happy you've got him home again! What kinds of things do these birds eat in the wilds of your area? Are they basically fruit eaters?

coltfire
11-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Yes mare they live on fruits and veg now living in the tropics has its advantages for birds.i just can't get over the size of him . Now the only problem I have is Jerry thinks he is the boss. it was a big fight between them last night and if it happens again today I won't be able to let them out together.

Mare
11-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Ohh, bummer for Jerry, here he thought he had himself a mate :(. Yes, the great outdoors and free flight beefs them up, noticeably, for sure. I remember noticing this change when Amigo was settling in to his life style. Have you felt his chest muscles and legs?

ShellyBorg
11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
This is great news!

coltfire
11-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Yeah they are beefed right up. ive never been scared of his beak but I am atm. He just keeps biting which is not like him.but im sure he will need a few days to settle bavk in.going to book him in for a vet check just to be sure all is good.

coltfire
12-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Just an update on Max's return, well with him being gone for the 7 weeks Jerry decided he is the dominant male in the house now, well that did not go down to good the two fighting in mid air , got to the point only one was aloud out at a time, then i decided to give it one more shot a few days later and then maxx claimed back his dominance, where jerry would fly to fight with Maxx , Maxx just tells him to stay away so no more fighting with those two, the problem i have now is that Lexx just attacks Maxx, she wanted to mate and he wouldn't, now she wont let him near her Atm, im hoping she is just a very upset girl with him Atm, but this is the longest i have not had any babies to hand rear in 15 years,of any type of bird, im going through withdrawals , but all birds are starting to go back to boxes, Lexx has set her box up again, just not having a bar of Maxx Atm

spiritbird
12-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I guess this is something they have to work out themselves. Hope there are no injuries.

kendrafitz
12-13-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm glad the boys worked everything out. Is Lexx interested in Jerry at all or just taking a rest from the boys? Poor Lexx, maybe once she got past being relieved she realized how mad she was at being abandoned?

coltfire
12-13-2013, 04:09 AM
the fighting is not to the point of injury, but for a bonded pair for 14 years, she is acting like he is another bird, which for a few days i was not 100% sure, not until he started talking,and doing some off the mobile phone noises he does. Kendra it funny you ask that but no she is not interested in jerry but Aggy the other day dropped her back for maxx and he just grabbed her tail and flicked her across the table, as to say how dare you im your father, and she should not be even coming of age for at least another 2.5 years but her and jerry go through all the mating rituals bar the end part, feeding each other doing the mating calls the whole lot, all those i did have a pair start breeding at 3 years old and all breeders said it cant happen well when i breed the female and my brother breed the male and everything was recorded as they need to be here we had the proof of there ages along with rings.

Mare
12-13-2013, 05:42 AM
I remember seeing a PBS Nature program, awhile back, and as I recall, the wild female eclectus will allow several males to cater to her needs. I don't believe she is choosy when it comes to who wants to be the provider for her clutch. Do you find this true with your bunch, Steve?

coltfire
12-13-2013, 01:44 PM
no not at all, and in the wild the female may have up to 4 males feeding the clutch but there will only be one mate,lexx gets funny with any others coming near her or the clutch bar maxx, i was hoping she would allow Jerry to help with the feeding of the clutch when maxx left, but she wouldnt have a bar of it and so i lost 3 chicks.now im worried they may never breed again.

Mare
12-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Oh, no,, I'm so sorry to hear this. Time will tell but hopefully everything gets back to normal. Is Maxx restless, as in, wanting to get back outside?

Blancaej
12-13-2013, 10:13 PM
I hope you get everything worked out ok with Maxx and Lexxi. Maybe with some time things will improve. Keep us posted and good luck!!

Mayden
12-14-2013, 01:06 AM
So sorry about your chicks, but I'm happy you've got Maxx home. I'm sure given the time they'll swing back into their old routines and things. Maxx has had a real taste of wilderness now though, think he wants it?

coltfire
12-14-2013, 03:37 AM
Mare all he wants is to get out and fly, but im not letting him back out as he now knows he can fly to far as before he never left the property, now im scared he will just keep flying, i am doing re-call training with Jerry ATM and that is working out great, so in a month or so i may start letting them free fly as long as his training works out. maxx was so much happier when aloud to free fly. not that he is not happy now .

Mare
12-14-2013, 03:39 AM
Mi Amigo sure craves it, Cat. He is allowed outside almost daily so this is understandable, for him. I hope, for Maxx's sake, that he adjusts to being back home with his missus!

coltfire
12-14-2013, 03:53 PM
so do i , but it seems lexx is the one causing the problem atm. she wont even let him eat with her, she cases him away from food while she eat's, you know if maxx didn't speak 3 languishes,i would say the way she is acting it wasn't maxx, but i doubt very much there is another male eckkie around here that speaks in,English, Hungrian, and Japanese

kendrafitz
12-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Never underestimate the wrath of a woman (or hen) scorned! ;)

Hope everything gets back to normal soon!

coltfire
12-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Never underestimate the wrath of a woman (or hen) scorned! ;)

Hope everything gets back to normal soon! i made that mistake once never again , once bitten twice shy, i learnt the 1st time lol