PDA

View Full Version : ~~Is Winter Here Already?~~

Turquoise
11-23-2013, 03:56 AM
Boy I tell ya'll it is cold outside tonight! Our temps right now says it is 29*, but with the windchill it feels like 15*. Brrrr, and for all you 'Naysayers' who think Texas is always hot, we have had a bit of an ice storm along with this cold snap. Not snow, nooo it had to go a bit further and drop that awful yucky sleet most of the day! Did I mention I hate ice? Well I do. I love snow, but hate ice storms!! They claim it is one of the earliest cold fronts we've had in years. I can remember in years past having snow for Thanksgiving, so I know it has & can get cold in Nov here. :(

I took a few photos of the cold front coming in on Thur evening around 4:00pm. Here we call them 'Blue Northers' when the sky gets really dark and the wind blows like crazy. That is our worst thing here in winter, the relentless wind that blows down from Canada and freezes the goose bumps right off your hinny! It can get into the -teens when it really gets to ripping through the countryside.

They claim we are in for more of the same for the next two days. Then it will start warming up next Tue and by Thur, Thanksgiving Day it is back in the 50s or maybe 60s. Gotta' love Texas weather! LOL

Blue Norther coming in on Thur evening. Clouds over the dry part
of the lake I live at.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Iced over ramp out my front door today at 10:00am.

Ice trail to the car. This is not snow, it sleeted instead.

Ice collecting on my poor cold Beetle!

Looking out my back door this afternoon.

Mesquite tree in neighbor's yard looking so sad without its leaves.

Ice collecting late this afternoon in neighbors side yard looking out
from my front yard.

ShellyBorg
11-23-2013, 04:54 AM
I lived in Kansas for a while, those ice storms are nasty!

Honesty
11-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Now that has just dashed all my dreams on Texas being hot all the time LOL. I was thinking I would only have to pack summer clothes if I come over there this time of year! Looks like I may have to rethink that one :)

That is exactly how it looks when I look out of my window this time of year, only ours is not a snowstorm, its just a severe frost! I am off out shortly and will have to spend 10 minutes chizzling the ice from my windscreen :(

Turquoise
11-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Wendy if you go down south to visit your daughter you will still need to bring your more summer-like clothing. It rarely freezes down close to the coast. They get a light snow maybe once in every 20 yrs. I live up in the North Central West Texas part, we are not that all far from what is called the high plains of Texas. As I mentioned in another thread about our weather, once you get above the caprock it gets really flat for the most part and is mostly farm and ranch land.

It is a good idea tho no matter what part of Texas you travel to, take warm weather & cold weather clothes in wintertime. :th_biggrin: