PDA

View Full Version : Micro-chipping your bird

ShellyBorg
11-21-2013, 07:19 PM
This is a good articular for chipping. I have made the choice to have all of mine chipped starting with my Blue and Gold Macaw. She was done yesterday by a avian vet under sedation. (Sedation is not right for all birds, please talk to your avian vet about it) The cost for the chip in my case was $20 plus a $25 well bird visit and grooming. She woke up and told me "ow" later in the day she leaned in and told me "ow" again. This morning she is bouncing off her cage walls and running a muck on the floor playing, so I do not see any pain today. I will be doing the others next time I have a vet visit.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This is a pictorial on how it is done.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

As with all medical procedures in birds there is always a risk. In my case the peace of mind out weighed any risk.

kendrafitz
11-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Rosie is microchipped. The vet just gave it as an injection while she was awake. She was fine and it was easy enough. Certainly worth it in my opinion!

tiffnmango
11-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Mango is chipped as well! My vet just gave him the injection while he was awake. It was definitely worth it. It's an added sense of security that is definitely worth it in my opinion!

Mayden
11-22-2013, 04:33 PM
With many large birds, no sedation is needed. But with the smaller guys, the risk of damage with a struggling bird and a pointy needle is too large.

I'm booking Charlie in next week for his. It's incredibly terrifying as they leave to be put under sedation, but they're in good hands. :)

Merlin is already chipped, all went well! I feel confident in the knowledge that if Merlin ever got away, he is chipped so I have a much higher chance of getting my baby back.

Blancaej
11-22-2013, 10:14 PM
I should really look into this as well. Great idea!

aliray
11-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Are there size limits to the birds being chipped ? I have three small parrots and thought they were too small? Alison

Mayden
11-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Are there size limits to the birds being chipped ? I have three small parrots and thought they were too small? Alison

I'm not sure if finches through to budgie's can be chipped, because I've never asked. But your GCC and Red Bellied are fine :)

aliray
11-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks, I will have to make an appointment and get that done. I have let all their wings grow back in after we adopted the cat last march, and I worry especially about my green Quaker as there are colonies of them around southwest Fla, and they all look alike. Alison

ShellyBorg
11-23-2013, 03:39 AM
For Doctor Scott the min size is 65g