PDA

View Full Version : Am I over thinking this?

josiesdad
11-19-2013, 05:17 PM
So Josies Mom and I went to the only Pet Store in Pittston PA to see if they had a Canary for Josies Grandma. While we were there we decided to check up on a "rescued" Blue and Gold the owner told us about once. The last time we went in (about 11 months ago) We ask about him and the girl who worked there responded by literally slamming the door in our face. Offended we haven't gone back since, but decided to chalk it up to a bad day for a young employee. So we went back, we shopped a bit and Anita went over and talked with a new girl that was working there. They chatted a bit and Anita said "hey how is that Blue and Gold you guys have?" Without saying a word the young lady reached over and pulled the slightly opened door closed and walked away. Now the thing that I think is odd..... well all of this seems odd, but the lights were off and NEVER A SINGLE WORD IS SAID ABOUT THIS BIRD. We did hear it though. If I wasn't there I might have ask Anita if she came across creepy, but I was standing within ear shot. Anita was nice, engaging "her usual self". We used to be regular customers & "never had any kind of issue" but I am becoming extremely suspicious and a little concerned. Aside from the bird being aggressive.... which they could have easily told us.... what would the purpose of keeping this bird isolated and in the dark. The only conclusion I can come to is they don't want to deal with the noise. Am I over thinking this? I am starting to feel like that nosy neighbor that wants to tell everyone how to raise their kids.

Honesty
11-19-2013, 06:20 PM
:th_hmmm: I am not sure what to think about this! It is very odd. Can you ask to speak with the owner of the shop? I don't think you are over thinking this at all. I would have to find out exactly what is going on with this Macaw.

Pablola
11-19-2013, 09:09 PM
I would report them, somethings not right here

ShellyBorg
11-19-2013, 10:17 PM
It sends up red flags for me. Talk to the owner first. if not happy with the answer call animal control. I turned in out Pet Smart a couple years ago for selling a unweaned bird. They did major changes for the better after.

spiritbird
11-19-2013, 10:20 PM
For sure I would ask the main owner/manager not the associates. They like to keep good customers. If you get no satisfaction then I would call the home office for this store.

josiesmom
11-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Who would we call? It is a family owned business but the owner doesn't seem to care. The whole store is more geared towards reptiles and fish.

ShellyBorg
11-20-2013, 02:53 AM
Tell local animal control then that you would like to request a wellness visit for a Macaw in there care.

spiritbird
11-20-2013, 01:24 PM
He must have a license to sell these birds. Yes, I would call animal control and ask them for guidance. I would also talk to the store people about how the public may respond to this mystery. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

kendrafitz
11-20-2013, 01:32 PM
I agree with everyone, something is definitely no right!

josiesmom
11-20-2013, 02:27 PM
He must have some kind of license because he sold the green wing he had last year. I contacted a local rescue to get her involved as I think she knows who to talk to to make some noise about this. I'll keep you updated.

Blancaej
11-21-2013, 03:38 PM
I'm glad you called the rescue. Something is definitely up here. Good job on your part!

Garnet
11-22-2013, 02:54 AM
I think the bird is probably plucking or self mutilating and no one wants to talk about it. It would make the store owner/employees look really bad if a bird in their care did not look healthy. I'm with everyone else, something is definitely up and people have been told to keep it private.

Turquoise
11-22-2013, 07:01 AM
First off I want to tell Ben~~I've missed you!!~~Love your funny stories & we need them on here!~~:th_biggrin:

Glad you let the local rescue know about it Anita. That was what I was about to suggest til I saw you already thought of it. Even if there is no parrot/bird rescues in yours or someone's area, usually the dog/cat rescue facilities will either get involved or will contact folks on their rescue list who handle birds to come check things out. We have only a dog/cat rescue available in my area, but they respond to any kind of possible animal abuse/neglect that is turned in. They have confiscated countless horses and other livestock in abuse cases.

It does not sound too good for this B&G and that is sad to be sure. It would definitely make me wonder what is up. How sad that places of business are sometimes just as guilty of neglect as owners can be with these magnificent feathered soles. :(

josiesmom
11-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Here is the response that I got from the local rescue:

Hi since the bird(s) did not come from me OUR approach is different. it seems as though he takes you as a threat, take a different road, leave some food such as veggies, fruit, parrot seed etc. at his door Parrot information on lighting and feeding would help,and leave it.and say Merry Christmas Sorry I offended you etc.later if it is your budget leave a light...Good luck ...WE try and not to take them Just Help HIM......Pat

I find this a strange approach since this isn't a person, it's a PET STORE. I'm at a loss. :(

Turquoise
11-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Well I think the rescue in your area sucks and doesn't seem to care if a pet is in need of their help. Just my opinion from the response you received from them. That kind of thinking can certainly allow for a lot of neglected and abused pets not having anyone to step in on their behalf. Especially like you say, "It's a Pet Store, not an individual who seems to be uneducated about pet bird care. The rescue should have recognized a pet store is supposed to follow strict rules on pet care. We all hear of pet stores who don't, but that is why there are 'watch dog' organizations out there who check up on them. Now if we could only figure out why this store falls through the cracks?

Nonetheless, you gave it your best shot with them. Sounds like this poor bird, if it is in need of care, is not going to get it. That saddens me. :(

Macaw Lover
11-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Either the bird is plucking as was mentioned or stolen?????? Something just isn't right for them to act that way.