PDA

View Full Version : Whoa Rant !!!!!

Pinkbirdy
11-19-2013, 02:03 AM
kSorry if im babbling in my Rant. Little background ,I wasn't going to post this unless something happened. Its about my 2 new Macaws . The female has been very hormonal [shes I think 12 ]. A few days ago she layed an egg. She had no interest in it.No big deal Ive had birds lay eggs before. Well Dave one day was listening to the Macaws [talk] then it got quiet. He thought I better check on them [maybe they figured their way out LOL].That wasn't it .They looked to be mating on the bottom of the cage.Last night she layed an egg [and theirs a big interest in it.]I have been balling up newspaper at the bottom of the cage [Rocky has a good time shredding it] I also really changed their diet for the better [I think anyways] .Im sure you have read my thread of them being in the basement.So now Im thinking good god did I just encourage this breeding behavior.? Well Ruby has been laying on her egg and Rockys been coming down to feed her. She does take breaks and does want to see me.So do I know what to do [yes]. When I first got into birds I thought I wanted to breed . But learned about myself that I just couldn't be a part [if this bird I helped raise didn't have a good home].But Im glad I knew about it . I was able to wean my sunconure and hand feed Harlow when she was sick.Now my rant .I went on a forum [that I know had Macaw breeders on it].I wanted a little direction like did I need a certain kind o bedding and wanted to make sure I had her diet right. I gave some background -They were rescues n better diet and have toys [and told about the newspaper] and Ruby was 12. This lady ripped my head off !! Most of her response was how I did not "Rescue" these birds . Rescue is a term used to make people fel good about themselves .Only people with true bird experience can recognize a rescue [I thought is this lady for real !!] Also how do I know I have a male and female without papers[cause they were mating and layed an egg] She also said she wasn't sure about them breeding this time of year cause hers didn't [I wasn't making this up !] So im not going to respond to her . Im a little floored at being talked to like that. Ive gotten so used to how nice and supportive everyones on here. She wins I guess I don't claim to be some great rescuer .If you read my post you know I love all birds [and don't care where they came from] I don't want to be a breeder. But we will see how this goes.I feel I need to keep them together. Rocky used to mutilate himself [and doesn't anymore. I lost a bird to this {I dont want to change things for him and have problems] so I will ask breeders on here for advice.Who knows with this egg [I would never sell a bird ] it would go to someone I know. I guess they would be Harliquins .

coltfire
11-19-2013, 02:21 AM
Terri i would not get to upset by that persons comments, for one you have rescued them from a life that was not suitable for them, second if they are breeding then i can tell you 100% you have given them a better life, as there is no way on earth they would even lay if they were not happy and felt safe, as for the bedding they need i cant help there as i dont have macaws,but can you set up a tray with wood shavings in it for her to nest in. as for other forums i no longer go to them as this one is a family and we dont jump down each others throat, we give info when we can and help each other, as it should be on a forum. now if he is feeding her there is a good chance it may hatch , do you know how to candle an egg to see if its viable, if not google it as there will be a step by step and also a video

Pinkbirdy
11-19-2013, 02:43 AM
Steve ,thanks , She seems to be moving it around the cage . She will "lay " over it .but is not on it constantly . she will eat ,drink see me . Then go back . Their is a big interest though [with the male also] very attentive to her.Will the egg die if shes not on it all the time and the vibration of them moving around the cage.What do you think?

Blancaej
11-19-2013, 04:07 AM
I am so sorry that you were attacked like that. Make no mistake you DID rescue those two. I wouldn't let some insensitive jerk make you feel bad.

You should be proud of all you do for your fids including your rescues! I know I am proud of you. :th_wink:

I wish I could offer advice on your little eggy, but I am clueless in that dept.

Sending many hugs your way. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

coltfire
11-19-2013, 06:30 AM
with the laying she will move it around quite a bit , if you can get like a kitty litter tray put wood chips in it, i use guinpig shavings for my birds that way she can steady it more, also if she still going to lay more eggs(i dont know how many they lay) it may not of been incubated yet , im not sure with macaws, but with tiels and budgies they will lay and until the last comes out they dont have to incubate them, the egg can still be viable up to 7 days with out incubation, but thats with budgies and tiels , as i said im not 100% on macaws. but try and put some sort of box/tray with shaving in it to give it the best chance and also if you can candle it.but remember when you pick the egg up do not roll it, only mum can do that unless you have an professional incubation box which rolls them when needed.best of luck, but i will tell you one thing if she has laid once it wont stop, each season she will lay again.

Honesty
11-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Pay no attention to this Womans attack on you Terri! You did rescue them and you are doing a fantastic job!

I can't offer you advice on the egg either, but sending hugs to you. :th_hug8:

Debra
11-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Don't pay any attention to that person. Like everyone on here said, you DID rescue those two. As far as what to do with the egg, do as Steve said and get a box and fill it with Aspen shavings. Aspen is better than pine for baby birds.

kendrafitz
11-19-2013, 01:39 PM
I can't offer advice, I know nothing about breeding. But I can give you support.

That woman needs to get off her high horse! Instead of criticizing she should be thanking you for doing such a wonderful job. You DID rescue them and they are obviously much, much happier and feel safe. Some people are just stuck in their own little world I guess.

I am sending lots of good thought to you three!!

plax
11-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Some people are obsessed with bashing others to make themselves feel superior. The woman you've described sounds to be such a person. Individuals like her are often lurking on larger forums just waiting to pounce on their next victims. They seem to get a thrill from doing so and it's like a hobby for them. IMO you should simply consider the pathetic mindset afflicting people like this and ignore what this particular woman had to say.

You've done a remarkable job with your birds, Terri!

spiritbird
11-19-2013, 01:56 PM
I so agree not to give this person any thought. May be a case of jealousy. Have you checked the eggs to see if they are fertile? If not you can replace them with dummy eggs. Here are the good people that can supply you [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Debra
11-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Thank you for that link Dianne! I had lost it and I'm down to 4 dummy eggs. Somehow my tiels have lost some. I need to replace them.

Pinkbirdy
11-22-2013, 03:07 AM
Woo !! this might be the real thing . We are in full blown [sitting on our egg ] .The males feeding and grooming her. If it does hatch it will be around the 14 of dec. I want to leave with the parents for 3 weeks [then hand feed]. I am making back up plans for everything I need to do [if things don't go right].

ShellyBorg
11-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Be prepared. Many times the first hatching is not a success. They have a bit of a learning curve.

Blancaej
11-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Good luck Terri and keep us posted! Kind of exciting. :th_wink:

Pinkbirdy
11-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Theirs 2 eggs now.

Blancaej
11-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Oh Wow! Double exciting! Goes to show they are happy in their new home. :)

kendrafitz
11-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Oh wow!!! I am looking forward to reading more about these two!!! Very exciting and reassuring that they are happy in their new home. :)

Turquoise
11-23-2013, 02:56 AM
I am not a breeder and have never tried breeding parrots. I have read a bit about it and for future laying if you decide to let the m raise the fabies I would suggest you build or buy a nest box made of wood. Professional breeders usually use nest boxes attached to the outside of the enclosure with a door the breeder can look in or take the eggs or babies out without going into the cage. Most parrots are tree hole nest builders. They find or enlarge holes in trees and amazingly even a large macaw can fit in a box that looks for all outward appearances to be too small. LOL I know that some breeders put a little newspaper in the boxes to help keep the eggs from moving around too much and the parents will shred it as they see fit.

So, since you already have eggs on the bottom and it is not a good idea to move them now, I would offer a cardboard box that would be large enough to fit over the female with a big opening she can come & go from. They like privacy and if that is not possible I would cover the outside of the cage in the corner she is nesting in. The less commotion around the cage the better. They can abandon the eggs or babies, but it is not too likely since she is comfortable enough to allow you to interact with her now. Again I am going by things I have read from books and excerpts I have read from breeders. So I can't actually stand by any of this as truth, but I thought I'd give you options to think about. :)

This is so exciting!! A possible fabie macaw right here in our flock!!:th_hug8: I do hope the eggs hatch and we get to watch and hear the day by day triumphs of their growing into the magnificent creatures we know they are!!! :th_biggrin:

Now about this ignorant ummm person (would like to call her what I really want, but I will remain civil) who seems to think she knows the definition of a rescue!! I consider anytime a person, namely you Terri have taken a pair of macaws out of a bad situation where the birds would likely die from neglect at some point in their sad life and give them a loving home, making them part of your flock and family~~A Rescue!!~~ You are the spokesperson for rescues and you are an amazing person for being able to bring out the best in birds who might never have a chance if you hadn't stepped in and opened your heart and home to them! Never ever let any person anywhere put you down or tell you that you are not a rescuer!!:th_heart: You did good to not respond as folks like her feed off of the backlash comments like that create.

And although there are thousands of parrots in bad situations in need of being rescued or already living in rescue facilities, we should never make breeders who are legit caring people feel they are bad for continuing the species. There is a place for each and every creature born for whatever reason it was put on this earth and I believe the good people will be drawn to the fabies who are most in need of their love and care. I know there are bad breeders who care nothing for the birds short of a sale and my suggestion is to avoid these folks and not buy from them if possible. Plus if they are found to be neglecting their birds, turn them in and shut their operation down, but don't lump every breeder in that description without just cause. :(

Pinkbirdy
11-23-2013, 03:16 AM
De'Andrae ,Thank you so much !! I will work on the box . ive been thinking of you .Not to get ahead of myself .But if this does happen and both survive . I might have to send one your way {he he] Tell your husband to start drawing up plans for the addition [LOL]. As for that lady [as Plax said] . Im sure she lives for posters like me they can correct !! its funny all I wanted to know was about the bedding and diet. JT bird and I [miss him] used to talk on the other forum about the same thing.People ready to jump down your throat every chance they got [he used to say do you even think they care about their own birds or is it just about being right]

Mare
11-23-2013, 04:13 AM
Terri, sounds like you are on your way to being a grandma! This is awesome news! I have no advice on egg laying macaws, sorry, but it looks like a few people here have some good thoughts on the matter. You definitely rescued those birds! Don't let anyone make you feel differently! Grrrr, I get a feather up my butt when I hear of these nasty people making others feel inadequate and bad for what they are doing, especially when you feel you are doing what's best for your bird! I commend you for ignoring her, I've always had a hard time doing that and therefore got into a lot of battles, on other forums. :mad: Glad I don't have to do that anymore :). Looking forward to all your updates!

Pinkbirdy
11-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Ahh !! Theres 3 eggs today :)

Blancaej
11-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Wow! Have you got the nesting box yet? ;)

Pinkbirdy
11-25-2013, 01:38 PM
I have a nesting "corner" that's shes on right now . Dave is building a box [GW are HUGE birds ]

Blancaej
11-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Yes they are huge birds! You guys are doing great. I have my fingers crossed the eggs survive!! :D

Turquoise
11-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Awesome, three eggs!!! ~~Me too~~I hope they all hatch and become gorgeous macaws!! Hopefully this is all the eggs, not sure about it, but from what I've seen from breeders 3 is an average lay for large macaws. Can't wait to see the box and hear more about 'Our'~~meaning all us excited bystander parronts, fabies to be.:th_biggrin:

Get your camera out & be sure you record all of this in photos or video or something!!!! I act like it is my bird laying~~I am so excited for you and your awesome macaws!! :th_hug8:

kendrafitz
11-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Very exciting!!! I am on pins and needles for you all, it's like Christmas early for me. Such a wonderful development!!! :)

Turquoise
11-29-2013, 07:06 AM
How is the impending family doing Terri? Did Ruby quit with 3 eggs? Can you tell if they look viable yet? How long do they incubate? I haven't looked it up yet, I remember reading about it, but have forgotten the gestation for macaws. Hope all goes well with them. :)

Pinkbirdy
11-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Well she stopped sitting on 1 egg [she pushed it all the way to the side of the cage] I was told to remove it cause just its presence can make the other chicks weak or die [weird you learn something every day ]. The other 2 shes right with though . They are due in 22 to 27 days we will see :)