PDA

View Full Version : Question for Budgie People

spiritbird
11-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Daisy is exhibiting a behavior I have not seen before and I am checking in here to see if it is strange or normal. She started digging in a corner of the cage. I put a small dish of greens in that corner and she went into the dish and began digging like a dog burring a bone. The greens flew everywhere, even out of the cage!! Is this female behavior? I have never had a female Budgie ever! Thanks

Honesty
11-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Hmm, I can't help you with this one Di. I have never seen Sally do this! Maybe Sara can enlighten you on this one!

Debra
11-18-2013, 05:36 PM
The only digger I've seen is Lucy and she's much bigger than a budgie. I've not seen a budgie dig. I hope Sara can help.

spiritbird
11-18-2013, 08:13 PM
I think I get it now. Daisy is hearing the boys and she gets way excited. So excited she flips all over that cage and starts that digging. Most likely to get out and join the boys. She has no flying skills and no landing skills by my assessment today. No way is she ready to join the group. I gave her a mirror and that has seemed to calm her down some.

coltfire
11-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Dianne, i think you hit the nail on the head, i had to take one of my females out and put in the quarantine cage due to scaly face and she was doing the same thing, she just wanted to get back to the male,i think she may want to breed, even tho she is still so young, she may be looking for a partner. are you going to let her mate up with one of your boys?

spiritbird
11-19-2013, 02:00 PM
I would like Chipper to be her mate. She just needs to develop flying and landing skills. I do not like seeing her hitting the ceiling and not knowing where to land. I am thinking if I let Chipper and her fly at the same time he may teach her. What do you think Steve?

spiritbird
11-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Update: Daisy flew today in the apartment fairly well. She tried to follow the boys into the bathroom where their window perches are. When she got there the boys immediately flew out. I think she is intimidating the boys a bit. (no quarantine necessary if you are wondering) Had Chipper in with Daisy for a short while X3 so far and each time he valiantly tries to preen her but she is rejecting his offers. Poor Chipper, rejected by Daisy and bullied by Gypsy.

Debra
11-19-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm sure that she will change her mind when she realizes he's just wanting to make friends. Poor guy. He'll eventually win her heart. She just has to realize that guys are cool. lol

coltfire
11-19-2013, 06:37 PM
the only thing i do with my birds when they start to fly is take them to every window they could fly into and tap there beak on it , just to let them know they cant fly through it, it does seem to help as i have very little window crashes, as for Chipper preening her that sounds like he has said your mine little lady, and unless the others are trying then chipper will be the one to pair up with her.

spiritbird
11-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Appreciate your feedback. She will come around with maturation I am sure. It is so much fun watching them. I am sure they do not like me looking at them so much. Chipper is 10 months old and Daisy is only going on 8 weeks.