PDA

View Full Version : owned by two too's !

luluthem2
11-17-2013, 04:35 PM
hi everyone! we have Lulu a Mollucan Cockatoo and Brolly an Umbrella Cockatoo. We rescued lulu 16 months ago and she was in a terrible state, she was anemic and had self mutalation wounds on her breast. We have been treating her with Moist Wound Healing . As the scabs on her chest were very deep and hard scabs, we chose this method via a friend in Canada who talked us through and our vet supports the process. It is medi honey or any irradiated honey manuka plus 40, we chose the medi honey. This is applied to the scabs and then hydrocolloid dressings called Duoderm cover the wound. The honey and the plaster start to debride the scabs and when you take the plaster off, you clean the wound and it is faster healing. Obviously on a bird it is hard to keep the dressings on as they tend to remove them but Lulu keeps hers on for sometimes two or three days, sometimes half an hour! We just redress her. It is taking time but the wound is healing and she is more itchy than wanting to hurt herself.
Brolly came to us twelve weeks ago, he is a rehomed bird, he had a lovely home before but his folks needed to give him another home as they are getting older and chose to rehome at this point in their lives. We send photo;s and they can see he is settling in with us. Lulu is 23 and Brolly roughly the same age. They are not friends yet sadly. Lulu was wild caught at seven years of age, we have the paperwork that shows that. Brolly, we don't know but presume he was captive bred. :( so sad for both of them. i will try to post pictures once i get the hang of the website and tell you more about their behaviours and the fun we have!! Lovely to meet you all!! :)

Feathers First Aviary
11-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have your hands full! Out of curiosity, how did they know Lulu was 7 years old when she was caught?

luluthem2
11-17-2013, 05:07 PM
hi there, we have paperwork , the vet checked it over and from the dates and the previous homes with gaps, working back, she was one of the last legally imported before it was made illegal. From Indonesia. Legal or not, she was still stolen from her family and friends. Disgusting, i always feel guilty knowing that she was once free, now Lulu can't fly. She has damaged wings from where she had hurt herself. Our vet said in time she may improve and she has flown about two foot from her playstand to the floor. All downwards. How do i put pics up? :) :)

Blancaej
11-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the forum! Thank you so much for taking in Lulu, it sounds like she really needed to be rescued. And Brolly is one lucky bird to have found you! It's always so rewarding when you can rehome a bird. There are so many that need good homes. Good job! :th_wink:

I would love to see some pics and look forward to hearing all about them.

Honesty
11-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Hello Lulu and :pp_welcome:Thank you for joining us:)

You done a wonderful thing in rescuing Lulu and it sounds like you have the situation well in hand:) We look forward to hearing how she progresses.

Looking forward to seeing pics of Lulu and Brolly:)

If you need any help in posting pics just ask. We are always happy to help!

luluthem2
11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
thank you everyone, i will try to post some pictures! if i get stuck , will shout for help! :)

Honesty
11-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Here is how to post pics, just incase you get stuck.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
11-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi Lulu and a big welcome to you and your 'toos! It makes my heart happy to know there are people out there, like you, willing to re-home and rehab a bird that is in desperate need, thank you! :). See ya' around!!

Turquoise
11-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Welcome to our flock Lulu and Lulu & Brolly!:th_greet13: We are happy to have you & your fabies hang out on the perch with us and squawk about life with our parrots.

Hope all goes well with Lulu and her healing. Sounds like you have a very good vet. Glad there are good treatments for sweet birds like Lulu to help her heal. And with your love and care she should begin to heal on the inside from her bad situation in her previous home. It is so wonderful folks like you take the time and effort to love and help feathered kids in need like Lulu.:th_hug8:

I have a friend on another forum who got a male Mollucan Cockatoo almost 2 yrs ago from a CL add. He is a self mutilator and keeps reopening a big hole in his chest he already had when she got him. She has to keep meds on it all the time also and she makes little Tees to help keep him from tearing the bandage off. Of course he takes the tee off as well. Last year a few of us on the forum donated to help pay for surgery to close the wound, but he opened it back up soon after. She is diligent to take care of it & him. They love each other & that's what counts the most!!

ShellyBorg
11-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Thank you for helping these guys. I love the wound treatment and will be looking into it to read more!

plax
11-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Welcome luluthem2! Thanks for joining us and for sharing the background and status of Lulu and Brolly. I'm so glad to know that they have you!!!