PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt to make wood Bird Toys

Pat 621
11-15-2013, 09:41 AM
I purchased food colored wood and used all the left over pieces of toys Max has already destroyed . She goes through a lot of wood . I think she is 1/2 beaver. Lol[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Honesty
11-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Good idea with the leftover parts of toys. You have done a great job:)

Feathers First Aviary
11-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Looks great! Has anyone found a natural way to dye toys that actually stains them? Every naturally dyed toy I buy or make is water soluble so when I try to wash the toys the dye just comes off and makes a huge mess, I also have a few birds that have realized this and now break pieces off to stick in their water and paint with, need to start naming them after artists with all the parrot Picassos we have :p

Honesty
11-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Looks great! Has anyone found a natural way to dye toys that actually stains them? Every naturally dyed toy I buy or make is water soluble so when I try to wash the toys the dye just comes off and makes a huge mess, I also have a few birds that have realized this and now break pieces off to stick in their water and paint with, need to start naming them after artists with all the parrot Picassos we have :pIt would be nice if we could find wooden toys where the dye does not come off! Codie's favourite pastime is to dip his wooden blocks in water and then he throws them at me. I end up with all different colour blobs all over me :th_shocking:

Feathers First Aviary
11-15-2013, 02:33 PM
It would be nice if we could find wooden toys where the dye does not come off! Codie's favourite pastime is to dip his wooden blocks in water and then he throws them at me. I end up with all different colour blobs all over me :th_shocking:

Oh my! fortunately mine haven't figured that one out yet! It's like parrot paintball!

Debra
11-15-2013, 03:12 PM
That looks like a great toy! Let us know how long it lasts. lol

Pat 621
11-15-2013, 03:40 PM
That's funny . Picasso,s . I bought them dyed from a seller on e-bay. Enough work to put them together . She loved that toy but the wood balls were too easy for her to break . Reminded me of a kid eating one of those candy necklaces. Lol
Need to make with bigger balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Pablola
11-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Looks. Brilliant well done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blancaej
11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Well done! Great looking toy! Good job!

Pat 621
11-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Yeah she had a ball with it. It lasted about 3 days .

Turquoise
11-30-2013, 12:47 PM
That was a really neat toy! They truly don't last long with macaws for sure.:th_hehe:

I make most of my toys for my flock, I use 2X4 wood for it, but I don't bother to color the wood. They don't seem to mind if it is colored or not. I do get wooden beads and colored wood shape thingys I order from the bird sites to add color. I have found that my feathered macaw kids love the easy to break beads and go for them first like a child breaking or tearing up something. Then they begin on the more challenging wood pieces for the real chewing experience.

I don't buy pre-made toys for my macaws very often anymore. At the price most large enough to be of interest to them & the short time they last, I can buy a whole lot of 2X4s and wooden beads/wooden shaped parts for the homemade ones. :th_LOL:

Pat 621
12-03-2013, 03:03 PM
I buy all my beads and pieces from a seller on E-bay a lot cheaper that way. Package of 200 beads are like $4