PDA

View Full Version : Cage Free Amazons

Feathers First Aviary
11-15-2013, 07:41 AM
we have two red lored amazons, Rasta and Reggie. They were "purchased rescues" if that makes sense. I will explain how we got them here but if you want to skip that and get to the actual point of this thread, just skip to the last paragraph. :P Long story short, about two years ago we went to buy a cage that was advertised on craigslist, when we got to the guys house we realized he was a really terrible breeder that was selling almost all of his birds and cages to move out of state. After talking with him for awhile I convinced him to let me see his breeder birds. I could not believe the condition of these birds. His entire basement was filled with large parrots, about 14 macaws, over half of them plucked, all in the thin rabbit wire type cages, sitting on the concrete floor. The lighting was dim and since it was in a basement there were no windows. There were also flies and gnats everywhere. There were a couple cockatoos that he claimed belonged to his ex wife, a couple greys and a pair of ekkies. All of the birds were fed nothing but sunflower seed and when he was showing me his pet macaw, the only one he was keeping and taking with him, I asked why she had no food in her bowl, he said, oh if I give her food in the morning she throws it all out so she only gets food right before I turn the lights out!! This man was literally feeding them nothing but cheap striped sunflowers and he was still being stingy about it!

After walking around we spotted this pair of Red loreds, surrounded by screaming cockatoos and macaws looking just absolutely terrified. Their cage had two dowel rod perches, a food bowl with sunflowers and glass water bottle. The poor things didn't even have a bowl of water! The female's breast was plucked, her beak was severely overgrown and a bit mishapen and they both had bent, crippled toes from an obvious vitamin a deficiency. I asked him what the deal was with the amazons and he said, "oh them, I hate them." Apparently they belonged as pets to a woman who broke her hip and she begged and pleaded him to take them, I assume she thought he took much better care of his birds than he really did. He went on to tell me about how he hates amazons, never did say why but he really couldn't stand them. I reluctantly asked him what he would want for them and he said $300. Now to be honest, we didn't have that kind of money just laying around. I told him I would think about it and give him a call with our decision. We bought the cage we originally came for and left.

On the drive home my husband looked at me and said, ya know we really need to save those guys. I knew it just as well as he did but I just wasn't sure how we were going to come up with the extra money and I knew the guy wasn't going to just give them to us. I also knew reporting him would do no good, technically they all had shelter, food and access to water, as far as the state is concerned, that's all they need. Later that day a friend of ours called and offered to buy camper we had been trying to sell, you guessed it, for $300! It was the weirdest thing in all honesty but we both knew it was meant to be. I immediately called the guy up and said we would take them, we gave him $100 to hold them and told him we would have the other $200 in two weeks, that was the quickest we could get it. The next two weeks were agony, all I could think about was the look on these birds face, the way they stared at us, they were just pleading to get out of there, the noise from the cockatoos and macaws was deafening and I could tell it was slowly driving them mad. When the day finally came to pick them up I asked the man what their names were and how old they were. He told me he thought they were 6 and 8, male and female but he couldn't remember their names. This made me want to smack the guy even more, he already told me they were someones pets to begin with, I knew they had names, this guy just didn't care to take two seconds to find out what they were when he got them. I am also fairly certain by the extent of the damage to their toes and beak that they are way older than he said but they are not banded so I really have no way of knowing that.

Flash forward to now, they have been on a good diet, they will eat anything an everything I offer them. We waited awhile to name them, hoping they would tell us but that never happened so we named them Rasta and Reggie because of their red, green and yellow colors. Rasta's beak is still a bit misshapen, it short of reminds me of gonzo's nose from the muppets. She has had a few trims over the years and her beak is finally starting to look normal again. Their toes have straightened out a bit but I'm pretty sure they both have arthritis in their feet so some of that just isn't going to get better. Rasta still plucks her chest but it's something we've been working on and neither of them will touch toys although they have plenty to choose from.

Now that you have some background on them I will get back to why I made this thread in the first place. Knowing that they were locked in their cage for so long, they both seemed very anxious when we would try to make them go back in at night, they hated the door being closed behind them. When they are left out, they only stay on top of their cage, they NEVER come off of it unless something scares them, like walking in the room with something big and scary(happened when hubby walked in with a ladder once). Neither of them are clipped but they also can't fly, if they try they drop like rocks :(. So for the past almost two years, they have been allowed free roam of their cage, the door hasn't been closed once since. They usually even sleep on top of their cage, the only time they go in is to eat out of the bowl in there, their other food bowl and water is outside of the cage. It finally hit me last night when I looked at hubbs and said, why do they have a cage? He looked at me funny and said, what do you mean? I just figured if they are never locked in it and they don't really like going inside, why do they even have one? I know plenty of people that have macaws that live on a play gym, never being confined to a cage, why can't we do the same with our amazons? If two years has gone by and the door hasn't been closed once, doesn't it make more sense to just build them a big custom play stand to replace their cage? i feel like they would be more active and get more enjoyment out of a treestand with a flat ledge to sleep on if they want and a big enough base to keep them from pooping on the floor. Right now I have to put newspaper down on top of the hard wood because every time they poop they hang their butts over the edge of the cage and aim for the floor! Does anyone else have a setup like this for any of their birds? Is there any valid reason not to do this? We will be keeping their cage so if there is ever a need to confine them we still could but in the past two years that need has never come up. I'm going to start researching some ideas and draw up a plan for how to make their new playground house, the entire thing will be custom made to fit their needs and since we've had this long to observe them we have a good idea of what they like and what they don't. I really think they would be much happier this way though. What are all of your thoughts?

Honesty
11-15-2013, 11:24 AM
I am so glad you rescued Rasta and Reggie. At least they are now in a wonderful home where they will be well loved and cared for:)

All of the birds were fed nothing but sunflower seed and when he was showing me his pet macaw, the only one he was keeping and taking with him, I asked why she had no food in her bowl, he said, oh if I give her food in the morning she throws it all out so she only gets food right before I turn the lights out!! This man was literally feeding them nothing but cheap striped sunflowers and he was still being stingy about it! This is absolutely awful:( Those poor birds!

I also knew reporting him would do no good, technically they all had shelter, food and access to water, as far as the state is concerned, that's all they need.Surely the state would see that these birds are being seriously neglected and take them away from these awful conditions?

Maybe it works different in the USA. If this happened here in the UK and someone reported him, those Birds would have been taken away from him with no hesitation!

I would say, if they are used to not going in a Cage and you feel they are safe being out all the time, then go for building them a playground house. It sounds like they would be much happier to have something like this:)
I look forward to seeing your creation once it is complete :)

Feathers First Aviary
11-15-2013, 11:57 AM
I am so glad you rescued Rasta and Reggie. At least they are now in a wonderful home where they will be well loved and cared for:)

This is absolutely awful:( Those poor birds!

Surely the state would see that these birds are being seriously neglected and take them away from these awful conditions?

Maybe it works different in the USA. If this happened here in the UK and someone reported him, those Birds would have been taken away from him with no hesitation!

I would say, if they are used to not going in a Cage and you feel they are safe being out all the time, then go for building them a playground house. It sounds like they would be much happier to have something like this:)
I look forward to seeing your creation once it is complete :)

The UK has much stricter animal care regulations than the US. Here, if the animal has shelter, food and water they are considered taken care of. I know so many people that have been reported, and rightfully so, only to be told that what they're doing is legal, it really is a shame. Unless they have injured or sick birds that aren't receiving vet care, or dead birds laying around, they are considered legal, it really is horrible. Also, this guy was moving half way across the country in a few weeks, I knew he was selling all of his birds but one and I can only hope and pray that he stays out of the bird business in the future. It's kind of funny, I had a woman come over at the beginning of 2012 for an english budgie and she saw Rasta and Reggie, she said, did you get them from "so and so"? I looked really confused and said yes, apparently she also rescued a bird from him about a year prior and when he got these two in he called her to try and sell them to her but she declined because she didn't have the money. So apparently he was also a flipper, no surprise there. She was very relieved to see that we had taken them in though :)

I wouldn't normally suggest that someone do what I am thinking of doing but these guys really don't ever leave their cage, they have no desire to, as long as they are together they are happy. I feel like we've had a long enough test run of leaving them out that it's safe to say they don't need a cage. My biggest concern is how they will take the adjustment. It surely will be a big change for them and that in itself may upset them more than anything. I think this may be something we need to introduce gradually but maybe they will surprise me. I also really need to DNA test them, I was told they were a male and female but after observing them all this time I'm convinced they are two girls. The guy knew I bred other birds, he probably just said they were male and female because he thought I would only want them if they were a pair, which isn't why I wanted them at all, I wanted them because I didn't want him to have them!!

Honesty
11-15-2013, 12:36 PM
The UK has much stricter animal care regulations than the US. Here, if the animal has shelter, food and water they are considered taken care of. I know so many people that have been reported, and rightfully so, only to be told that what they're doing is legal, it really is a shame. Unless they have injured or sick birds that aren't receiving vet care, or dead birds laying around, they are considered legal, it really is horrible.People like him need stringing up:(

I wouldn't normally suggest that someone do what I am thinking of doing but these guys really don't ever leave their cage, they have no desire to, as long as they are together they are happy. I feel like we've had a long enough test run of leaving them out that it's safe to say they don't need a cage. My biggest concern is how they will take the adjustment. It surely will be a big change for them and that in itself may upset them more than anything. I think this may be something we need to introduce gradually but maybe they will surprise me.I know someone from another forum who has 2 Amazons, who are also not caged. She built them this amazing playground/house. I will see if I can find the pics of it for you. It may take me a while, so bear with me :)

Feathers First Aviary
11-15-2013, 12:49 PM
People like him need stringing up:(

I know someone from another forum who has 2 Amazons, who are also not caged. She built them this amazing playground/house. I will see if I can find the pics of it for you. It may take me a while, so bear with me :)

That would be spectacular! Take all the time you need but I would love to see their set up. I'm good at building things but I'm not always the most creative so the design part is what I'm unsure about. I've heard of people with cageless macaws but it seems most of them have a t-stand type set up which I don't think would suit these guys because of their arthritic toes and the fact that neither are hand tame so it will really be where they spend most of their time. I assume that most birds that live on a t-stand aren't really on it the majority of the day and instead are hanging out with their owners. Rasta is curious and friendly and we can hold her but only if she is separated from Reggie. If she approaches us reggie will run as fast as he can and place himself between us and her and then lunge at us. If she gets to us first he will run up and bite her as if to say "get back, it's not safe!".

Honesty
11-15-2013, 01:58 PM
That would be spectacular! Take all the time you need but I would love to see their set up. I'm good at building things but I'm not always the most creative so the design part is what I'm unsure about.I will do some searching for you:)

Debra
11-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Thank you so much for rescuing those two little ones! What a deplorable man! I, too, think your idea is a good one. I'd set it up next to their cage and maybe they will get interested in what your doing with that and decide it might be fun.

Pinkbirdy
11-16-2013, 01:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your story ! I would leave their cage open and have the stand near. So its their choice. I have to have "Pearl " my Goffin in the cage he came with . Its small by my standards .But he insists on his cage [Ive tried a larger one ]. I guess you have to go with what ever works right?

plax
11-16-2013, 03:53 AM
Are they ever alone in your home (meaning that all of the humans are away)? If so, there may be reason for some concern. If something were to startle them and they ended up on the floor with no one there to help them back up, it could turn into a dangerous situation for them. Or worse yet, one of them may became injured from the fall, which would be an especially bad turn of events if no one were at home. Depending upon what items are accessible to them from the floor and which other areas of your home they may be able to access, the risk might be something worth considering. I realize they've been living out-of-cage continually for a couple of years, but simply because an accident has not yet occurred doesn't preclude one from occurring at some point in the future. Aside from that possible issue, the idea sounds fine to me.

Feathers First Aviary
11-17-2013, 12:49 PM
In all honesty, this is not something I would ever, ever recommend any one to do. I wouldn't be even considering it if I didn't think it was the best possible arrangement for them. Very Very rarely there are times when no one is home, since I am almost always handfeeding little ones it's almost never for more than two hours at a time but yes, I do understand a lot can happen in two hours. I will say though, our bedroom, the room they are in, doesn't have anything they could get into. There's our bed, a dresser and a tv that is on a solid wood stand that they would not be able to climb. The only thing that could really injure them would be falling and they can both flap enough that they don't fall very hard. I really think they are just as likely to get injured by a freak accident while inside their cage as they are outside. If you could see the way they act when I lock them in the cage I think you would understand why I don't do it. They have the worst anxiety about it I've ever seen in a bird, they act like trapped wild animals and they are convinced they will never be allowed out again. They just get so stressed about it and it makes Rasta's feather plucking so much worse. I'm convinced the main reason she has stopped plucking as much as she did was because she isn't locked in the cage anymore.

Blancaej
11-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I am so glad you rescued them both. I still can't believe how some people treat their animals! I think having a cage available and open for use is a good option in addition to their play area. Good luck! :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
11-24-2013, 08:50 AM
It kinda' sounds like they may have been wild caught Amazons and that is why they don't like being closed in a cage. Especially if they were possibly smuggled into the US and were grown when captured. This is just the feeling I get from reading your description of how they react, the lack of leg bands and your suspicion they are much older than 6 or 7 yr old.

I would say for the sake of helping Rasta keep from plucking as much and the happiness they show you at not being caged, I would go ahead with your plans to build them a playground with ways they could climb back up should they fall to the floor. With keeping their cage close for times you may still find you need to cage them and your knowing these birds as well as you do, I would say it is worth a try. I know there are folks who have whole rooms dedicated to their parrots who live free of caging. They do have the rooms as bird proof as they can and the rooms are secure from other creatures coming in. As far as designs for such an endeavor, I would do a search online. There are so many sites these days that give plans to build many nice things for our feathered kids. :)

spiritbird
11-24-2013, 01:13 PM
What a fantastic rescue story. Rasta & Reggie needed you to see them in that nasty home where they received nothing they deserve. You have good bird sense and know what they need to be content. Do you have photos?

Grey
01-02-2014, 04:26 AM
you could make a very interesting area that would be much more than a T-Stand. Define the size that you need or want (the footprint of the cage is a good starting point). Put together a simple frame and backing to act as the floor and contain the messes and build from there. If there is a concern about them falling, hang natural sisal rope (perhaps with a few knots) that reach almost to the ground. Make all sorts of branches, swings, etc with different diameters and textures, and materials (that will help their feet immensely) Drill holes randomly in the branches to place fresh branches, veggies, or fruit kabobs for foraging. Keep their brains stimulated and watch them blossom. This set-up is something that you can continually add on to or change, be careful that you don't add too much though as you still have to live there too.