PDA

View Full Version : First freeze of the season

Debra
11-13-2013, 07:17 PM
We fell below freezing level (32 degrees F) last night. I brought out my long sleeves and heavy coat this morning as it was 27 degrees! When I got home from work, my electricity was off. By then it was at freezing (32 degrees). I sat here for about an hour before the power came back on. Needless to say, I turned all the heaters up. Didn't take my heavy coat off until around 10! In fact, I just talked my hubby into making me some hot cocoa (he makes the best -- down to the mini marshmallows). I'm now happy and warm......until time to leave for work that is.

What's the weather like where you are?

Mayden
11-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Here it says 9degrees but 'feels like' 7degrees according to our Met Office :)

So it's between 44-48F. Warmer than where you're at, but still soooooo cold!

I'm in my slipper socks, pyjamas, dressing gown, eating hot food. Snug as a bug on my sofa with duvet. ^^

Honesty
11-13-2013, 07:37 PM
It has been 2 degrees here today, which is 35.6F. We actually had our first frost this morning:(

I put a thick jumper on today too:(

Deb, I thought it was always hot in Texas?

mrgoogls
11-13-2013, 08:06 PM
it snowed here the other day for the first time this year :)

spiritbird
11-13-2013, 08:07 PM
That cocoa sounds so yummy! Some of the blooming flowers are not drooping an dead from the temps. last night.

Pinkbirdy
11-14-2013, 12:36 AM
it snowed here the other day for the first time this year :) Us too [its cold}

coltfire
11-14-2013, 12:24 PM
well its not so cold here its been 95 to 100.4 the last few days and summer is not hear yet, they say summer is going to be around and above 109, all summer and that's just here in the tropic's

Mare
11-14-2013, 03:08 PM
We've had a fire in the wood stove for the past couple of nights, getting down in the 40's at night in central Cali. The days have been beautiful, though, in the 70's. The fireplace is our only source of heat except in the bird's room, there is an electric heater in there. If the electricity goes out, on real cold days or nights, for very long, we have to bring the birds out to the living room cages to keep warm. Deb, did your birds do ok?

Debra
11-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for asking Mare. The birds did fine. The power was only out for a couple of hours and the house heated up nicely once it came back on.

Wendy, we get our cold spells. They just don't last long. Last night was our last night of freezing weather for a while it looks like. It usually doesn't get that cold around here where I live and during the day we usually have nice temps during the winter.

Turquoise
11-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Well Tue night into Wed morning someone in the town close to me posted on FB that our temps got down to +17*F. We didn't have any wind with it or we would have easily gotten into the negative teens. All day Tue it was in the 30s & 40sF. Wed and Thur was warmer in the 50s most of the day and in the low 40s at night. We also did not have any precipitation with this cold front, so the roads were fine to travel unlike many other parts of the country.

Wendy, Texas is hot all summer, warm most of the year, but we do get cold weather when the fronts come blowing down from Canada in my area. See I live in what is called North West Central Texas, meaning we are kinda' to the northwest of the central part of Texas. LOL Anyone remember the dust bowl era or the old movie, "The Grapes of Wrath" about living in the dust bowl and moving to California to find a better life? I wasn't around during the dust bowl era, but I do remember the bad dust storms we still got in the early 60s living on my Grandparents farm. Well, all the area and states directly above us have no measure of trees or much in way of natural grasses left due to heavy clearing and farming of the land, not to mention once you get above the Cap Rock, the land is very flat. So there is nothing to stop the very cold winds that come blowing down from Canada. Everything below the Cap Rock was once an ancient sea and the land begins to have hills and cutout areas.

In my area of Texas I have seen it down in the -15*F. That is mighty cold for us and usually comes with an ice storm. It can last up to two weeks, but mostly it only lasts a few days and is back up in the 50s & 60s. Then there are times we can & do have 80s & 90sF on Christmas day!! Gotta' love Texas weather. :th_hehe: We also get snowstorms and can get as much as 22" of snow overnight, but it melts within a week of falling. Back in the 50s & 60s snow & ice storms lasted two weeks to a month in Dec & Jan. I remember those cold days!!

These are photos of my front yard and the snowstorm we got back in Feb of 2010. It wasn't that much snow, I think they measured 5" for our area & it melted about 4 days later completely. It does show we can & do get snow on occasion. We have had a few light snows in more recent years, this was the most we've gotten in a good while. I love snow, love to watch it fall. I don't however like ice storms as those are the ones that knock our electricity out!! And I use the sealed oil filled heaters more than I do my propane heater in winter to keep us warm. :th_biggrin:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
11-15-2013, 08:42 AM
De'Andrea those pics look so beautiful, if i want to see snow in winter i have to drive about 20 hours down south, i used to go skiing most years up to about 7 years back, i love the snow.

Feathers First Aviary
11-15-2013, 09:29 AM
We've had a fire in the wood stove for the past couple of nights, getting down in the 40's at night in central Cali. The days have been beautiful, though, in the 70's. The fireplace is our only source of heat except in the bird's room, there is an electric heater in there. If the electricity goes out, on real cold days or nights, for very long, we have to bring the birds out to the living room cages to keep warm. Deb, did your birds do ok?
It's the same at our house, we heat by wood but have electric heaters for supplemental heat in the bird rooms. We've had our woodstove burning for about a month though, we are pansies I guess :p We got our first light dusting tuesday morning but it was all gone in a few hours, which is fine by me, I'm not a big fan of snow :P

Turquoise
11-16-2013, 10:12 AM
De'Andrea those pics look so beautiful, if i want to see snow in winter i have to drive about 20 hours down south, i used to go skiing most years up to about 7 years back, i love the snow.

A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] too bad you have to go so far to see snow. I remember years ago watching the movies "The Man From Snowy River" and "The Return Of The Man From Snowy River" and thinking how gorgeous that snow scene was with him riding Denny & snapping his whip herding his mob. Actually I have both movies on DVD here at home, but I saw the first movie in a theater with my son, Jory when he was probably 2 yrs old way back in the early 80s.

We don't get much snow, not as much as I'd like and when we do it is usually the wet kind. I love the dry kind they get in the north western states. Some of the most beautiful snow flurries I ever saw was traveling on interstate 80 through Wyoming in a snowstorm. All those upper state areas have such gorgeous scenery in wintertime. My favorite part of the country, I was born in the wrong place. :(

coltfire
11-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Thats were I used to ski .its so beautiful there and 20 hours from here. Back then it was only 5 hour drive

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

Birdboy
11-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Me being in Australia, it's getting into summer. We've been getting some high 30's. Jeez let the sweating begin

Debra
11-16-2013, 10:25 PM
We're coming out of 100 degree F weather here in Texas. I feel your pain.

Blancaej
11-17-2013, 10:05 PM
It was 29 degrees the other morning on the way to work. There was a sprinkle of snow on the ground!

Debra
11-17-2013, 10:14 PM
We were freezing the other day and today it's 85!! It's the middle of November for goodness sake. It should at least be cool and comfortable. We've got the a/c on today. But, by the middle of the week it's supposed to be down to 39 for lows. No wonder I've got bronchitis!