PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmm....popcorn

Debra
11-10-2013, 09:49 PM
For the first time in a long time, my hubby wanted popcorn. Well, he burned the first batch, burned the second batch, and got it right on the third try. Needless to say, Little Amber had to go through three rounds of hearing popcorn popping before she actually got some! You should have seen that little bird dancing. I felt so bad for her -- until she finally got her some popcorn. She was/is a happy camper now. I've never seen a bird enjoy popcorn like that little girl does. Frankie, on the other hand, is like "food, I smell food, I want food, I don't care what it is just give me some". lol

Honesty
11-11-2013, 01:48 PM
LOL Debra. How could you make poor Amber wait so long for her popcorn? :th_hehe:

plax
11-11-2013, 02:06 PM
You should see Salsa when there's popcorn available... it's his favorite food EVER!!!

And BTW, Debra, I would recommend that you get an air popper. That way you don't have to use any oil and it's far healthier for the birds (and the people). Popcorn is actually a very nutritious food; it's the oil and added flavorings that are unhealthy. But if you're going to use oil (never use oil in an air popper, though), you should consider using coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.

Blancaej
11-17-2013, 05:36 PM
My fids absolutely love popcorn, too! My Quincy is like Frankie Debra. He just wants our food, no matter what it is. LOL!

rebeccaldaniels
12-20-2016, 01:42 AM
Holy Crap. I just popped some and took it up to my office to read.... Tinkerbell just went ape over the stuff.

I have always popped mine the very old fashioned way on the stovetop with olive oil and spices (garlic and cayenne).
But I added butter....next time, I'll omit that before I have it around here, because I don't think that is so good, right?

Quakerella
12-20-2016, 06:18 AM
I would stay away from the butter and salt, not sure about the spices. We always give the birds popcorn and they love it. We air pop and add "whatever" after the birds have their feast.

Dragonlady2
12-20-2016, 09:16 AM
I just ordered an airpopper so I could give the birds some popcorn as an alternative snack. Can't wait to get it and try it out. I am probably more excited than my birds will be.:th_biggrin:

Dragonlady2
12-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Holy Crap. I just popped some and took it up to my office to read.... Tinkerbell just went ape over the stuff.

I have always popped mine the very old fashioned way on the stovetop with olive oil and spices (garlic and cayenne).
But I added butter....next time, I'll omit that before I have it around here, because I don't think that is so good, right?

Rebecca, the cayenne pepper is good for birds. Just omit the butter. You could try popping it with coconut oil?

Casper's 2nd best friend
12-20-2016, 10:53 AM
I was only reading yesterday that popcorn is more expensive, pound for pound, than filet mignon. What spoiled birdies you all have :)

Dragonlady2
12-20-2016, 11:16 AM
I was only reading yesterday that popcorn is more expensive, pound for pound, than filet mignon. What spoiled birdies you all have :)

My birds eat better than we do. When I try to explain, to the cashier, that all the greens and fruit are not for me but for my birds, they look at me as if I am crazy.

Quakerella
12-20-2016, 12:32 PM
I'm the same, I give mine almonds as a special treat. Won't pay the price for myself.

rebeccaldaniels
12-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Rebecca, the cayenne pepper is good for birds. Just omit the butter. You could try popping it with coconut oil?

That's a good idea. I have some food quality coconut oil around here somewhere. I was on a kick at some point, only using coconut oil in our food, but we all got really sick of the coconut flavour.