PDA

View Full Version : Accidents can happen way too fast.

Garnet
11-10-2013, 02:02 AM
This has not been a great week for me and my little green cheek Cricket. First my pionus bit his beak and we have been dealing with all of that, then today the thing I thought I was the most conscientious about, wasn't.

Cricket who's wings I had just clipped to keep her from flying while her beak healed, was sitting on my shoulder just chattering away. I reached up to get Cricket to put back in her cage and at the same time my husband opened the door to our bird room. When Cricket heard her flock mates calling she took flight and flew into the ceiling fan. Now before anyone chastises me, we always have it turned off when we have the birds in our living quarters, but I had clipped Crickets wings not five minutes before this happened and was putting her back in her cage. So it was an awful accident. It made me sick. Took her to the vet immediately and the prognosis is so so. No broken bones, but a horrible bruise to her spine. Cricket cannot move one of her legs and has to drag herself around now. We have her in a container with tee shirts in the bottom and praying she heals. If not, she will be paralyzed in one leg and disabled the rest of her life.

My question any one that reads this, I need ideas for what to put food and water in that she cannot turn over, but can still get to by pulling herself around with just her wings and beak. Also, I was thinking a rope perch low to the bottom would work for her to pull up on cause she is having to use her beak.

I feel just horrible about this and it has made me feel so sick inside for my sweet little bird. Makes me feel like a failure for not preventing this since I know how dangerous ceiling fans can be. However, I am determined since I cannot undo what has already happened, to give Cricket the best life I can. Any help would be much appreciated.

Pinkbirdy
11-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Oh no Im so sorry :( I don't know what to tell you about the food thing . I would be concerned about her getting enough food in her [she needs her strength]. If she loses weight you might have to hand feed her.Good luck [poor girl].

coltfire
11-10-2013, 03:42 AM
maybe the lids off say peanut butter or along those lines you will have to keep filling the water for her but she will not have to stretch, i hope her injuries are not permanent, ill send hugs and prays your way

Honesty
11-10-2013, 09:43 AM
I am so sorry to hear what has happened to Cricket Marilyn:( Sending hugs to you :th_hug8:

Could you buy the bolt on bowls and bolt them to the very bottom of the cage so they are floor level? This way, Cricket would still be able to access them by pulling herself along the bottom of the cage! A rope perch at the bottom sounds a good idea.

garden squirrel
11-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Sorry to hear this, accidents do happen and how we cope with them is the test. A few years back there was a problem here and my grey had a stroke losing use of his leg. I used the towels to hold food and water bowls in place. I also backed this up by hand feeding and putting a few drops of water in his mouth every few hours. I also built wooden platform and ramp with hessian cover so he could still get around. Hopefully your little gal will improve but rope perches my one used as support to get around and worked very effectively. My grey has improved and has partial movement. Hope this helps

spiritbird
11-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Accidents do happen and I pray that your little Cricket heals. The only suggestion I have is to supplement feedings with a syringe type of soft food.

Pinkbirdy
11-10-2013, 06:30 PM
How is she today?

Garnet
11-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Sady, Crickets injury proved to be too much for her little body. She died at 4:45 a.m. this morning. I am raw, so very sad and my heart is breaking. Cricket died in my husbands hands. We knew she was going, so we took turns holding her. We could not stand for her to die alone.

Pablola
11-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Aww so sorry for your loss,
Fly free little cricket at rainbow bridge .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Debra
11-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Oh, Marilyn! I'm so sorry to be reading this. Fly free little one and know you will be sorely missed. Go join the others that are waiting for us all to join them.

kendrafitz
11-12-2013, 03:10 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss.

coltfire
11-12-2013, 03:32 AM
Marilyn so sorry for your lose, im sure cricket will be greatly missed, fly free little one , the rainbow bridge is waiting for us all.

Cami
11-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Marilyn, I am so very sorry for your loss...words cannot express

Honesty
11-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Marilyn, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs to you. :th_hug8:

ShellyBorg
11-12-2013, 10:00 PM
I am so sorry. :(

Turquoise
11-13-2013, 04:04 AM
Oh so sorry to hear about sweet Cricket, Marilyn. :th_hug8:

Words I know will never take the pain away, but remember Cricket still loves and watches over you and her flock here on earth. She has gone to the rainbow Bridge where she is flying high again and meeting all the other critters who welcomed her in with open wings, paws and hugs. :th_heart:

Please don't beat yourself up over this. Everything happens for a reason. We never understand why in the beginning, but soon the answer to why Cricket had to leave you will be revealed. Maybe in the form of a fabie in need that Cricket sends to her loving parronts.:th_hug8:

Minamommy
11-13-2013, 05:46 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Believe me I know how much you are hurting now. Every one of us has made a mistake or two just hasn't had anything happen. I turned the ceiling fan on in Mina's room only to come in and she had gotten out of her cage and was up and only a foot from it! Gasp. Honey you are NOT alone. Many prayers for you. Cricket loves you and is watching over you and her feathered flock too.

Mayden
11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. I was just about to post about dishes and how we could help accommodate her despite a disability... I'm so sorry for your loss. It's obvious you loved her and I'm sure she knew it. I'm so sorry for your loss.

plax
11-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Heartfelt condolences, Marilyn. I'm sorry for posting late, but I somehow missed the thread. Our feathered ones are so fragile and a few accidents during their time with us are unfortunately inevitable :'(. I'm so sorry for your pain.

Blancaej
11-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Oh Marilyn, I am so sorry to hear Cricket died. I am sending many hugs to you and your husband. Please do not feel this is your fault in anyway. Accidents do happen and some times are unavoidable. Big hugs to you. :(

Garnet
11-21-2013, 03:31 AM
Thank you to everyone that expressed condolences. I've had a really difficult time dealing with this loss. I've cried so much about losing Cricket and I still feel very raw and sad. I have always believed things happen for a reason, I just haven't found the reason for this yet. I do know that we are extremely careful with the rest of our flock now and don't allow them in the living room unless the ceiling fan is off. I had clipped Cricket's wings to keep her from flying towards the room, but evidently she could get just enough height. Hopefully my misfortune will be a lesson for others, turn those ceiling fans off and give all your fabies extra hugs and kisses.

Sorry it has taken me so long to answer, but I've been unable to even talk about Cricket. She is sorely missed.

Debra
11-21-2013, 03:14 PM
When I got into birds and first learned the dangers of the ceiling fans, we just took the blades off to prevent any accidents. Looks funny as we haven't gotten around to changing fixtures, but it's worth knowing the birds are safe.

tiffnmango
11-22-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss! I'm glad that you were able to be with her at the end though. Sometimes that comfort allows them to know that it's okay to stop fighting/suffering and just let go.

Fly free little cricket and say Hi to my feathered angels for me!