PDA

View Full Version : Cricket and his broken beak

Garnet
11-09-2013, 01:08 AM
I have a little Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure named Cricket. A few days ago while feeding everyone breakfast, Cricket jumped up on my white capped Pionus' (Cotton) food bowl and Cotton didn't appreciate the interruption so she bit Cricket and cracked her beak on the bottom and took a piece out of the top. It bled like crazy, but by the time I got Cricket to the vet's it had stopped bleeding. She is now on antibiotics as a preventative and pain meds. So far she is doing great and has been a real trooper. I have her in a small cage in my living room away from the other birds. Vet said soft diet, but gave me no ideas about what to feed her. I've been mixing applesauce and mashed sweet potato into some handfeeding formula and feeding her that, as well as mashed bananas. I thought about baby food, but I've never fed a bird baby food so have no idea what to buy. If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me. Vet said it is going to be about six months before Cricket can return to a normal diet and I know Cricket is missing her pumpkin seeds and almonds. I'd like to feed her a variety of foods since it is going to be so long.

Honesty
11-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Marilyn.

Most organic baby foods would be ok to feed cricket. Try the vegetable ones and also banana or apple. These always seem to be the favourite with them.

I hope Crickets beak heals soon!

Debra
11-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Marilyn, I use organic baby food in my birdie bread so you may want to see if you can find the organic type too. I'm sorry to hear of Cricket's accident. Accidents can happen so fast. I hope he heals well and quickly.

coltfire
11-10-2013, 03:48 AM
yes all the baby foods mine love any with meat in them