PDA

View Full Version : Bird Room - Finally Finished

weimerheimer
04-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Hi Folks!

I wasn't sure which category/section to post this under, so Mods if you need to move it to a more appropriate category/section please do so. Please forgive me.

So, ..... My wife and I decided back in January '13 that we would take our bird hobby to the next level. As some of you know we've have had birds most of our married life, which is nearing 27 years. We built our house 20 years ago, which had a formal living room in it. That was the biggest waste of sqaure footage I have ever seen. In 20 years I bet I never sat in that room more than 6-8 times. So, in January we decided to sell the furniture, gut the room, and totally reconstruct a dedicated Bird Room.

This project entailed; Removing the existing carpet and padding, Paint the ceiling/walls/and trim, replace the electrical recepticles and trim plates to match the stark white paint ceiling/trim, replace the existing flooring with a new laminate floor, and add a new lighting system.

The walls were painted a dark raspberry color with stark white ceiling and trim. This would match our goal of having ALL white cages in the room and the dark walls would show the birds nicely.

The laminate flooring would make for EASY maintenance for the birds daily messes..... birds are MESSY!!!

My pictures do not show the work station off to the one corner of the room. This area consists of a three level steel wire frame shelf/cart on wheels, which makes it easy to move and clean under. It holds the MANY food storage containers, spare food/water bowls, cleaning supplies, spare perches, spare toys, etc.... and makes for a nice work space to fill bowls at feeding time. Also, to the right of the photos I have two large windows that provide natural lighting, but these windows face WNW and do not allow light to come in very long duirng the day, hence, that is why we had a light system designed by a local lighting company that would not only show the birds nicely, but actually be of some benefit to them since the system utilizes both 4100k (for our viewing purposes) and 6500K (for the birds bensfit) full spectrum bulbs. I also have one air purifier in the room to help turn over the air and clean it a bit.

I just wanted to share this project's photos with you folks. Maybe it will spark an idea you've been thinking about. It is by no means a "perfect" Bird Room, but an attempt to make the bird's life a little better than most. Our next goal is to replace the one Macaw cage. It desparately needs replaced as it is VERY worn out. We had obtained it through a rescue of a Green Wing Macaw my wife and I did back in January.

The pictures start entering into the Bird Room from the 6-foot double wide entrance doorway (easy to get cages in/out in the spring to power wash), looking right, and the photos pan toward the left then. The last picture is a panaramic photo that I merged using Photoshop software to give you and expansive view of the entire room all at once.

Hope you folks enjoy!

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Enjoy Folks!

Honesty
04-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Wow! Lovely set up Lonnie:)

roxynoodle
04-18-2013, 06:08 PM
I love it, including the color!

I wish I could say my bird room was finished, lol!

buddingtwigs
04-18-2013, 06:13 PM
LOVE! Looks like a fun place to be.

Wendy K.
04-18-2013, 06:15 PM
:awesome-smiley-emot What a fantastic looking room, Lonnie!!!! :th_wow:

I LOVE the color, the setup, the cages....I love EVERYTHING about it! The lighting looks fantastic! I've got a thing for 6,500k bulbs myself, all my fids are under them. :)

I laughed about your statement that you never used the living room. We had a similar scenario. Our dining room became our bird room simply because it was adjacent to the family room. We had a living room which we turned into the dining room, lol. And after seeing the lovely color you've painted your bird room, I have BUNCHES of ideas in my head now. :D

Antoinette
04-18-2013, 06:43 PM
:awesome-smiley-emot
Mishka would love it and would like to come visit
I am envious of your set up IT IS PERFECT
WELL DONE

Blackhawk007
04-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Awesome setup! You have a nice little community going on there.

keepsmiling
04-18-2013, 07:56 PM
That is wonderful! I too love everything. Lucky birdies.:th_cantwait: