PDA

View Full Version : Aromatherapy for Birds

spiritbird
11-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Here is an example of a sad Macaw brought back to happiness by aromatherapy. This video was on World Parrot Trust newsletter.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Debra
11-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh, wow! What an amazing story. I've recently gotten into essential oils and know how they've helped us. I'm hoping to diffuse some into the air to see how it affects the birds. If any of you want to try this out, I can sell essential oils. Just pm me and I'll send you the link.

Cami
11-03-2013, 01:07 PM
It breaks my heart to see and any bird sick or abused (or any animal). It was nice to see progress but I always heard that essential oils have chemicals in them that aren't good for birds?

Debra
11-03-2013, 01:19 PM
The ones that are Certified Therapudic Grade Oils have nothing added to them. They get the oils through a steam process so it's all natural. Young Living and Doterra are the two best ones and I deal with the Doterra. What you get at the health food stores are not Certified Therapudic Grade oils and have things added to them.

spiritbird
11-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Thank you for explaining that Deb. I stopped all diffusing when I got birds. Why don't you just put the link here? I do not think anyone would mind. T

coltfire
11-03-2013, 03:06 PM
what a great story i was amazed:thanks4sharingthumb i was under the same impression as Cami so thank you Debra for the info on oils

Macaw Lover
11-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I had picked some up a couple of years ago when I went to the TASC fair but I asked my vet about it before using as he is into the Holistic Care and he was not liking the product and it states 'medical grade essential oils'

Better to waste the 20 or 25 bucks vs harming them in the long run.

Blancaej
11-03-2013, 05:40 PM
That was amazing. It was nice to see him come around and get out of his cage!

gemini_84
11-04-2013, 02:01 AM
wow.... what a beautiful story, i just love happy endings. i must be getting soft in myh old age as that bought a tear to my eye

shel
11-07-2013, 06:22 AM
i'm lucky that beaker came to me as a very confident bird who comes out of his cage and steps up and wants very much to be the one in charge! i know that certain scents can have an effect on my mood, and have seen it on my other pets but have been very scared to use anything with beaker or the parakeets because i am afraid it would be toxic to them.

Debra
11-07-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't know about spraying it directly on the bird -- this is the first I've heard of someone doing that. I use an ultrasonic diffuser and diffuse a few drops a day for my house. Makes the whole house smell good and I don't believe it's harmful to the birds at that concentration. I also use them on myself, but usually wash my hands before handling the birds (a habit I started when I first got into birds) like I do whenever I put anything on my hands.