PDA

View Full Version : Blue Throated Macaws

spiritbird
11-02-2013, 09:22 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
October 17, 2013[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
Visit PIJAC.org for news & updates ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] f902f6bf3bc84f323e)
Issue Update - Federal
Blue-Throated Macaw Listed As Endangered
A rule proposed by U.S. Fish & Wildlife (FWS) in January 2013 to list the blue-throated macaw (Ara glaucogularis) as endangered under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 was adopted on October 13, 2013. The rule will be effective November 4, 2013.
In its proposal to list the blue-throated macaw as endangered, the FWS cited the macaw's population has continued to decrease despite intense conservation efforts and that the primary threat to the species is lack of reproductive success due to nest failure and lack of suitable, available habitat.

Effects of New Rule
Commercial Use: The Endangered Species Act doesn't prohibit intrastate (within a State) sale or offer for sale of endangered species. It does, however, prohibit interstate (between States) sales. If you wish to sell or commercially use your macaw(s), you would have to either sell the bird(s) to someone who resides within your home State, or apply for a permit* for interstate sale or commercial use of your bird(s).
Captive Breeding: The FWS does not regulate captive breeding of listed species, meaning you are not prohibited from continuing to breed the blue-throated macaw. If you intend to sell any macaws or their progeny, you will need to sell them within the State the birds were bred to someone residing in the same State, or apply for a permit* for interstate sale or commercial use of your bird(s).

Personal Pets: The Endangered Species Act places no restrictions on traveling with or transporting legally obtained endangered species within the United States for your own personal use. Under the new rule, no permit is required for you to travel or transport your pet macaw(s)within the United States, provided you are not selling or otherwise engaging in commercial activity with the bird(s).

* The FWS provides that "if a person in the course of a commercial activity can demonstrate that such sale or other commercial use enhances the propagation or survival of the species, or that it is for scientific research, he or she may apply for a permit."
Click here ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] 1d0deb3102217b27a0) to read the new rule and supporting documentation. 1423

Honesty
11-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks for posting this Di.

I dont think this rule is applied to us in the UK yet. They are cities birds here, and come with quite a hefty price tag. There are quite a few breeders of the Blue Throated Macaws over here.

spiritbird
11-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Hope they will flourish in the UK.

Honesty
11-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Hope they will flourish in the UK.I hope so too. They are beautiful birds:)

Grey
01-06-2014, 05:46 AM
just be cautious travelling interstate with ESA listed birds. While the ESA does not prohibit a person traveling with their pet, you should check each individual state you will be passing through and their rules concerning personal ownership of ESA listed species. You would be surprised at how many regulate or forbid it even just passing through

ShellyBorg
02-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Would love to have one.

Turquoise
02-02-2014, 08:33 AM
I just read about a place here in Texas that breeds & raises Blue Throats and several other rare and endangered species of parrots. It's called Royal Parrot Conservatory and is located in the Houston area. I read about there efforts from a write up on FB they had telling about their work. And they also told that soon they will be looking for homes for some of their Blue Throats and a few other macaws. They can't sell outside of Texas as Dianne's post states, without proper permits and for now they are concentrating on re-homing the birds they will offer in and around the Houston area only. They want to be able to see the adopters in person and see where the birds will be homed.

I think I would pass on owning an endangered species for now even if I lived close to them and could afford one. The laws on endangered species seem too unstable at the moment and I would probably find myself losing my bird due to a new restriction that no longer allowed private ownership. :(