PDA

View Full Version : The Great Waiting Game

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 03:18 AM
I sent the DNA samples out for the two cinnamon green cheeks at the beginning of the week, it's only wednesday and I just don't want to wait any longer! I normally know DNA by the time they are about four and a half weeks old but I had to send out a sample for a friend of mine and he took his good ol' time getting it to me. I wanted to wait and send them all together so I could save on the postage and be able to charge it all at the same time. I'm really hoping to find out on friday what their sexes are but I think that may be wishful thinking, I'm thinking they will probably get the sample friday or saturday, in which case I should find out on monday. I'm hoping it's monday at the latest, I can't take the suspense any longer!

Honesty
10-31-2013, 08:53 AM
Its awful waiting for a DNA result to come back. I was told Codie was a female, but as the months went on I could see that he had the aggression of a Male Zon, so I decided to have him DNA tested. My instincts were right and he is in fact Male. The results only took 5 days, but it seemed like forever.

spiritbird
10-31-2013, 12:09 PM
There is a lot of waiting in the bird world. Teaches us patience.

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 08:35 PM
As soon as they get the samples I always have the results back the next business day, its the darn post office that takes nearly a week to get the samples from pa to florida! I love avian biotech though, they are a fantastic company to work with. Even when I was sending avairy swabs for disease testing a few months back they were more than happy to sit on the phone and give me their insight into the different avian diseases we must worry about as parronts. :)

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Yay! I just got the email from AB saying they got my samples today! So hopefully we'll know by tomorrow what they really are. I've been guessing that the day older baby is a boy and the younger is a girl but who knows. Can't wait to find out :)

spiritbird
10-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Hoping you are right!

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm actually hoping they are both boys because I have one deposit from someone waiting for a male and another woman coming to meet them this week that is also hoping for a male, but said she wouldn't mind a female. As long as there is at least one boy I'll be happy but two would be ideal. :)

Pinkbirdy
11-01-2013, 01:05 AM
Hi Sara, Being a breeder do you ever have any tricks in knowing the sexes? I know one once told me [Sun conures ] the males heads are blockier and the females heads are more narrow. my sun ended up having a narrower head [and found out she was female :)] My Rb2 breeder [I said if she had a male it would be great]. She thought she did and she was right !![I didn't hear her way though].I think its fun to hear about peoples thoughts, who are around birds a lot.

Feathers First Aviary
11-01-2013, 05:09 AM
With green cheeks males tend to have flatter heads on top whereas females will usually have a rounder head but that seems to be easier to tell in mature birds if you ask me. With crimson belly babies the girls are the ones that usually like to play on their backs and sometimes even sleep that way(got a funny story about that one lol). I'm really not sure if its the same with green cheeks but that's why I'm guessing the younger is a female, she will roll herself onto her back to play, although I am hoping I'm wrong on that one. There are always ones that throw you a curve ball and that's why I always just dna test to be sure :) my other pair of green cheeks are really cool because they are sex linked mutations so I will never have to dna any of their babies :)

Blancaej
11-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Got your results yet?

Feathers First Aviary
11-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Got your results yet?

Not yet but its only 3pm here, there's still hope of getting the results today :)

Honesty
11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Tapping fingers in anticipation :th_hehe:

Feathers First Aviary
11-01-2013, 11:28 PM
It figures that the one time i'm impatiently waiting something screwy happens. I didn't receive an email yet so I checked their online results page with my account number and the results are in for the younger one but the older is still pending so I guess they didn't get clear enough results and are having to rerun the test. Which stinks because now I probably won't get the results on that one until monday now. :( But, I was guessing the younger was a girl and the older was a boy and here's the results I have so far...
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

So I was right about the younger one! Here's to hoping i'm right about the older one because I have a deposit for a male right now and I've been telling the guy how awesome these two are, I'm going to feel really bad if he has to wait for another baby because these two are both girls, especially because I don't even have any eggs yet so it may be a bit before I even have more green cheeks. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope I end up 2 for 2 on this :p

Honesty
11-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Fingers crossed for you!

Feathers First Aviary
11-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Sorry, I've been very busy the past week and haven't had a free second to log in here, the results did come in though and they are both girls :)

Blancaej
11-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Nice! You must be happy about that.