PDA

View Full Version : For Percy, my first bird and amazing friend

buddingtwigs
04-18-2013, 03:03 PM
I am always amazed when people fail to see the magnificence in budgies. My Percy was one of the best friends i have ever had and i still cry if i think back to when i lost him. I had him October 1993 to October 1999, but we had such an amazing connection in those years. It is because of him that i fell in love with birds. I went into it knowing NOTHING about birds and i found it to be an intuitive experience. Birds can be so easy to relate to, and are so intelligent and responsive. It was far more rewarding than i ever imagined it could be.

When he was dying, he spent a number of days in the Bird Hosptial, until i picked him up to die at home with me. He died lying cradled in my hands and i carried him around for hours sobbing after he had died. I sat down, still holding him, and wrote about him, to immortalize my friend.

I called it 4 AM, because i slept with his cage by my bed that night and i suddenly woke at 4 AM, and it was as if he waited for me to wake up, because he dropped down off the perch as soon as i woke, and i scooped him up for his final minutes with me.

It was about 4 AM
When I felt a chill inside
Of the empathic struggle
About to be obliged.

Love flowed
Like a drug-
Intoxicating-
As I became a dancer
On a stage in slow motion
Reaching to hold you
That last time
In a movement
Of grace and sympathy.

Our loneliness
Bonds only in waves
Of a divergent rhythm,
As we wait
For our feet to tumble
So slowly to the stage
For the final bow.

roxynoodle
04-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Your poem is a beautiful tribute.

I had budgies for my first 30 years of my life and yes, they are magnificent.

buddingtwigs
04-18-2013, 03:21 PM
He and i were "inseparable" back then. When i bought him from the pet store, the stress of changing environments must have thrown him, and he was almost immediately sick, lying puffed on the bottom of the cage. I knew so little about birds, all i knew is that he was 'not feeling right' so i stayed home from work and held him to keep him warm for a whole day. I finally asked someone who knew about birds and they said he could die if i don't get him help immediately. I found the Bird Hospital, and he recovered completely. From then on, I never had to do anything to tame him or train him. He knew that i loved him and would always fly to me when I called him, started talking without my trying to train him, etc. I hadn't even known back then that budgies can learn to talk. LOL. I can't even believe they would sell him to someone who knew as little as i did 20 yrs ago. Sad, really!!

aliray
04-18-2013, 04:12 PM
I had tears running down my face as I read the poem. beautifully written

Wendy K.
04-18-2013, 04:43 PM
What a BEAUTIFUL poem, Patti! I, too, am sitting here crying over your sweet Percy. :( He knows how much you loved him!

May your paths cross again one day on the other side of Rainbow Bridge.

Antoinette
04-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Patti you now have me in tears as well
What a beautiful thoughtful poem
He will always have a special place in your heart
You have the most wonderful memories never to be taken away
:th_grouphug2: