PDA

View Full Version : Live Nest Box Cam!!

Feathers First Aviary
10-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Ok this is super cool, I've been watching it on and off for like an hour lol. This is not one of my nests, it belongs to a member of a budgie group I belong to. It's a live feed from inside one of her english budgie boxes. I'm really contemplating doing this now, even if it's just so I can peek in on them without having to disturb the nest. My babies are only in the box until they are 10-14 days old but those first two weeks can be very touchy and it would be awesome to be able to peek in and watch whenever I want. I just worry because I don't want them bothered by the presence of the camera and I spoke with the breeder who has this feed and she showed me how she modified the boxes to let more light in, I'm not sure if my budgies, my english in particular, would be okay with nesting in a box like that. I don't know why but it seems like I have the touchiest EB's ever, they need a ton of privacy or they just will not mate or nest, my americans are like bunnies, sometimes it's hard to get them to take a break! But anyway, I'm done rambling now, here's the link, check it out if you have a free minute, it's really cool to watch momma come in and feed the babies :)

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
10-29-2013, 12:50 PM
What a wonderful idea. I guess the camera is not turned on now because all I can get is a black screen after the ad is finished.

Honesty
10-29-2013, 12:53 PM
I can only see a black screen too:(

Feathers First Aviary
10-29-2013, 01:14 PM
It must be offline right now, it was on until about 6am I believe, her modem have have gotten turned off or something, I'm sure she'll be checking it soon because she turned the mic off lastnight and said she hopes she remembers to turn it back on in the morning. I hope so because its really neat to watch, not the most exciting thing in the world to most but I found it quite captivating, its like getting to see what happens in the box when they don't know they're being watched :p

spiritbird
10-29-2013, 03:47 PM
I hope our birds do not put cameras in our bedrooms!! :th_LOL:

spiritbird
10-29-2013, 03:53 PM
OH I see them now. How precious. Mom came in and fed the tiny chick first. She is a good Mom for sure.

Feathers First Aviary
10-29-2013, 11:34 PM
I hope our birds do not put cameras in our bedrooms!! :th_LOL:

Oh boy! I hope not, although I wouldn't put it past my guys to figure that out!

Turquoise
10-30-2013, 11:10 AM
That is adorable! The two babies were sleeping, but the biggest one bounced around a bit once or twice. That's how I knew there were two once the big one moved a bit to reveal the smaller one.:th_hug8:

I added it to my group page on FB. Thought some of the folks on there might like to see the fabies. :th_biggrin:

spiritbird
10-30-2013, 01:40 PM
This morning it looks like the big one is picking on the little one because you can hear the little one screaming. I hope it does not get injured!

Blancaej
10-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Very cool!

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 03:13 AM
This morning it looks like the big one is picking on the little one because you can hear the little one screaming. I hope it does not get injured!

I wouldn't worry about them too much, budgies are insanely vocal as babies, I mean literally, unless they are sleeping they do not stop making noise! They are either begging for food in their little baby cry or yelling at their clutchmates as they trample over each other. I've actually never had a clutchmate hurt its sibling, sometimes the parents will go after the babies but babies don't usually hurt other babies. They are a bit rude about how they step on and clamor over each other but that's just how babies are, they will form a big pile with the smallest baby on the bottom, it actually serves a good purpose in keeping the chicks warm and the babies are squishier and a bit more durable than they appear :) Maybe squishy wasn't the best word... how about malleable...yea, that sounds a bit better lol :)

spiritbird
10-31-2013, 09:49 PM
This budgie hen has 9 eggs ready to hatch. As she stepped away for a while the eggs are all moving! I get so excited watching. Isn't 9 eggs a high number?

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 09:52 PM
9 is quite a bit, mine usually lay between 4 and 6. with 9 babies it can be hard for the mom to incubate them all and even harder to keep them all fed but it isn't impossible. I wonder if they are all from that pair or if she fostered eggs from another clutch under that momma.

spiritbird
10-31-2013, 09:55 PM
The eggs had some writing on them.

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Some people mark their eggs so they know which one was laid first and especially if there are eggs from more than one clutch being fostered that way you know who's babies are who's :) I've never written on eggs, I have really shaky hands and I'd be afraid of puncturing the egg :p

spiritbird
11-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Mom is shakin and bakin as they say. the eggs must really be moving around and ready to pop. Oh boy is she going to be busy.

Honesty
11-02-2013, 05:23 PM
It is so interesting to watch :)

spiritbird
11-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I am now totally addicted to watch this. Wondering if the hen pulls out those feathers to help make the nest softer. Another question is what is the best type of nest floor so the chicks do not get splayed legs? I have a plastic nest box that came with the cage which looks very nice to the eye but I am guessing it would need a soft cloth of some type under the nesting material.

Feathers First Aviary
11-02-2013, 08:03 PM
I use aspen, some people use pine but I'm allergic to that. I've never had a baby splay before on that. I would think a plastic box would be far to slippery for babies to stand on, even with bedding in the bottom

spiritbird
11-02-2013, 09:06 PM
That is kind of what I thought, plastic? If I used it at all I would get a piece of safe wood shaped like the bottom. Might be far easier to get a regular nest box. Thanks Sara.

spiritbird
11-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Mom seem a bit restless this morning. Sitting on that many eggs must give her nest fever (like cabin fever).

spiritbird
11-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Baby #1 just hatched today, Wed. between 1 and 1;30 pm. 3 more to go!:th_bdaycandle:

Debra
11-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Woo Hoo!

Feathers First Aviary
11-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Baby two hatched :)

shel
11-07-2013, 06:03 AM
all i see is mama (i guess) from the back. i hope all are ok.