PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Sara

spiritbird
10-28-2013, 06:21 PM
I just had to make a post thanking Sara from Feathers First Aviary for teaching me something. After watching you video of the birds flying to your arm I tried holding up my arm with a small spray of millet in hand. Chipper, my EB, was the first to fly on my arm/hand to get some. After Gypsy saw that he followed and had no problem sitting there chowing down on the seed. This is the very first time Gypsy has even come close to me, much less land on my hand. I am thinking he felt more free to do that out of the cage because inside the cage every couple of months I must catch him to take to vet for nail trim. I will keep this up and hope he will feel free to fly to my hand when there :th_yah: is no millet or that may be too much to ask. What a wonderful motivator millet seed is. I am already thinking of a name for the little EB that is still an egg!

Honesty
10-28-2013, 06:44 PM
This is great news Dianne:) You must be very pleased about it!

Blancaej
10-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Wow, that is great Dianne. I will have to try that with the Linnies. So you have adopted a new EB?? I bet you can't wait for it to hatch, wean and then come home to you! Congrats!!

spiritbird
10-28-2013, 08:22 PM
I am on the list at Feather First (3rd) person for an EB. Most likely sometime in the winter. All hand tamed!!!

Feathers First Aviary
10-28-2013, 11:48 PM
That is awesome dianne! I bet watching chipper land on you first was what really sealed the deal. When I am working with a bird that is fearful of people I always get my super friendly guys out and just play with them where the other bird can watch, just seeing us interacting with the other birds seems to build their confidence in us and they seem to realize that we aren't trying to hurt anyone. Once they see that jealousy sometimes gets the best of them and they want to come play too :) and yes, millet never hurts!

coltfire
10-29-2013, 02:29 AM
the same way i train all my birds, to come but also use a clicker, positive reinforcement , the best training tool

Feathers First Aviary
10-29-2013, 07:03 AM
the same way i train all my birds, to come but also use a clicker, positive reinforcement , the best training tool

I really like clicker training although with some of the smaller birds like budgies, I've found that the click sound scares them at first :/ One of my favorite parrot books is called "The click that does the trick" it is all about clicker trick training, it has tons of pictures and even has instructions on how to make the trick props :)

spiritbird
10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
GypsyI will look on amazon for that book. Thank for the suggestion. Gypsy my fearful American follows Chipper everywhere. If he is out of his sight he calls and calls. I think it may be best to encourage more independence with Gypsy.