PDA

View Full Version : New bird.. Gcc

94lt1
04-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Adopting an abused bird tomorrow. Poor thing was neglected, stunk, was eating it's own feces, it's so small, it's barely bigger than a parakeet... (Budgie)

Its been behind glass for over a year.. She needs to be loved.. And we're taking her in.. She's gonna be a lot of work.. But we can handle it...

Wow.. The flock is growing.. What's the old saying? There's always room for one more... I'll post pics tomorrow...

ACEPHONECHIC
04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
hi poor thing lucky you came along by the sound if it. People who abuse parrots make me very angry and I would like to return the treatment to them and see how they do.
It will be hard work but very rewarding, I believe you can do anything with a bird with food and love and lots of patience.
Good Luck keep us up to date

roxynoodle
04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Thank you for taking her in. I'm sure you will be rewarded with her progress.

94lt1
04-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Its not our first :) Monte was abused, Seminole was neglected... So both of our larger birds were difficult... But that's OK.. I'm a sucker for a hard luck story..

This bird needs to eat though.. Wow.. She's about the size of our parakeets.. That's not right for a year and a half old green cheek...

Wendy K.
04-18-2013, 07:37 PM
AAA[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] poor baby! She is SO lucky you found her!!!! How is she doing? Got any pics for us yet? Will she need to be vetted?

I wish you HUGE success with her, Brandon. :)

94lt1
04-18-2013, 07:39 PM
She's at the vet today, we get her tomorrow... As soon as we do, I'll start With the pics... She's a sweety.. They said she was a bad bird... And that lady owns birds... :mad: I feel for her flock...

Animalman2046
04-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Once she know she is loved she will eat her little heart out. Sounds like she is working on your heart too........lol. Good luck and thanks for rescuing her. She will be your best friend for sure.

keepsmiling
04-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Aww..thanks for giving her a loving home. Wishing you all the best.

94lt1
04-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanx all.. Well, we have a sun , a gw macaw, a yellow napped amazon, 2 budgies...

So how is this bird going to be different??
Anything I should be aware of when it comes to green cheeks?

Wendy K.
04-18-2013, 10:32 PM
She's at the vet today, we get her tomorrow... As soon as we do, I'll start With the pics... She's a sweety.. They said she was a bad bird... And that lady owns birds... :mad: I feel for her flock...

Oh that made me cringe.
:th_envious:

There is NO such thing as a bad bird - only bad owners.

I wish I could tell you something about GCCs, but I've never had the pleasure of being owned by one. One thing I know with certainty: Your GCC will be loved and cherished like NEVER before. :D

ACEPHONECHIC
04-19-2013, 07:32 AM
I have two young Greencheeks and they are the most fun filled babies ever. They hang from curtains upside down, love to play with anything they can make fun with. Love fruit and cooked bean soak. They can be quite fiesty at times, if something annoys them. My two chase the Alexandrine and the Indian Ringneck if they want to sit where they are fearless of the difference in size.
They make adorable companions.
Good Luck with yours

roxynoodle
04-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Last week I was in one of the big chain pet stores that sells birds. I do have to say I met the sweetest GCC baby. S/he was shoving his/her little head into my hand, closing his eyes and was just soaking up all the love I was willing to give. Hard not to fall in love with that little sweetie.

Animalman2046
04-19-2013, 03:21 PM
All birds need the same basic things, a good cage, lots of toys, lots and lots of fresh foods.......veggies and fruits, mixed with some good pellets and mash. They need lots and lots of love especially when they have been abused or neglected. It will take time for the newbie to come around but be patient it will learn to trust you and love you for rescuing it. Good luck and enjoy your new baby. Keep it separate from the other birds for awhile until you can vet it and it gets used to it's new surroundings. Again thanks for rescuing it and enjoy!

94lt1
04-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Pics.. Better ones to follow

Wendy K.
04-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Looks like she made herself right at home, Brandon!!! You must be SO excited!! Sweet baby!!! :D

94lt1
04-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Here we go.. After a bath..

94lt1
04-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Her name is Rain..

roxynoodle
04-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Rain is adorable!

Wendy K.
04-19-2013, 09:43 PM
WHAT a difference a little water and a new home can make in literally NO time at all! :D

Rain is beautiful, Brandon! How is she settling in???

94lt1
04-20-2013, 01:23 AM
Her feet are weak.. And possibly deformed... But she's coming around.. She won't step up, she still stinks.. Needs a better bath.. But small steps...

94lt1
04-20-2013, 04:44 AM
She's perching on my finger now... Before she'd just lay in my hand with her feet tucked... She's trying to chirp now too..

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 10:43 AM
You said she still stinks???? Is it because the way she was kept beforehand?

Glad she's perching on your finger. Perhaps with lots of TLC Rain will regain some strength in her little feet. :)

94lt1
04-20-2013, 02:26 PM
You said she still stinks???? Is it because the way she was kept beforehand?

Glad she's perching on your finger. Perhaps with lots of TLC Rain will regain some strength in her little feet. :)

Yea.. When they discovered her condition at the other store, the poor baby was covered in a slime... Smelled like rotten stale beer with yeast growing out of it...

The vet gave her a bath, oatmeal I believe, but she still stinks.. We gave her a bath, still stinks... I'm trying hard not to be to aggressive with how we treat and handle her just yet..... I want to give her a few days to acclimate to us...

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Probably after a few more baths the stink will go away. Conures generally love to bathe so hopefully soon she will just start bathing on her own. Mine like to bathe in her water dish and sometimes comes into the shower with me.

What did the vet think about her feet? Congenital or due to a possible infection or heavy metal toxicity?

I also assume the vet checked her for a yeast infection?

94lt1
04-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah the vet did a full work up.. She's healthy... And since she's had perches to hang in to, her feet seem to look more normal... Idk if that even makes sense... But it's what's happening here..

Its amazing.. When we got her, she wasn't clipped... But she was very still.. Probably scared... She wouldn't stand on your finger, she'd just clutch her feet and lay on your hand.. Not move at all..

After watching our sun conure, (Starburst) she has started mimicking him.. So, she still won't step up, and she runs from us.. But she will perch on your finger now, won't fly off, she's fine with petting... So... Slow but steady ... :)

roxynoodle
04-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Sometimes other birds can really help a new bird settle in :) My amazon is always imitating what he sees my conure doing. I think she has been the best thing for him as far as learning to play with toys.

94lt1
04-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah... They keep wanting to meet... I won't allow it yet. Lol

94lt1
04-20-2013, 08:26 PM
She's calling out now... It sounds like a zip tie.. Very quiet compared to Starburst..

Wendy K.
04-20-2013, 08:50 PM
She's calling out now... It sounds like a zip tie.. Very quiet compared to Starburst..

Oh I SO wish you could record and share! That just sounds TOO cute!!!!

94lt1
04-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Its so quiet it won't pick up over the parakeets... I'll keep trying.

94lt1
04-21-2013, 03:08 AM
I tried a few different times... The keets have a knack for being louder... She sounds very meek... We'll get her louder.

Pinkbirdy
04-21-2013, 05:57 PM
I saw her pictures [Im in love ] !!! Do you think shes a cross between something ?

94lt1
04-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Idk.. I think she's just dirty still.. She still stinks. Trying to get er more comfortable before we break out the scrub brushes lol.

ConureCrazy
04-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Oh my gosh! Thank you thank you thank you for taking her on! At first I thought she was a good size, until I saw her in your hand... I just about cried! TLC, she'll come around! :)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE her name(Yes it called for triple-loves)!

94lt1
04-21-2013, 08:37 PM
She's a cinnamon apparently... Just figured that out.. But yeah she's a small bird.. 10 grams:eek:

And her hatch date was jan3 2012..wow.. Poor baby bird..

We're offering her fruit, nuts, flax seed, Anything that she'll eat..

She's gone from sitting in her cage, to eating her cuddle bone and some seed, to watching me very closely.. I'll make tic sounds at her.. She's calling out a second after that..

She tries desperately to get her band off and flaps her wings wildly when she does it.. Odd.....

roxynoodle
04-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Brandon are you sure she only weighs 10g?? Budgies are about 35g :(

You might try some Dawn dishwashing liquid on her (the original blue one).

94lt1
04-22-2013, 06:05 PM
The vet himself told me she's 10grams...and was shocked... She's all bone and feather...

Gotcha on the blue dawn... :) that's what we're gonna use..

She's under fed and highly active at times... She bites her band and flaps like hell... But she had nothing to eat and was in terrible condition... Great for a pet store huh...

Also, she's smaller than my budgies..

94lt1
04-22-2013, 06:41 PM
We just bathed her, this is her in my wife's hands... My wife has dainty hands...

She's tiny.. And she has a hard time with her feet.. Its almost like they've been broken... They're healed now.. But this poor baby's been through a lot..

94lt1
04-22-2013, 07:18 PM
So we're bringing her to the vet again... I'm pretty sure as small as she is, and the way she smells, she's got to have a yeast infection, poor bird.. .

Mirlito
04-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Poor wee soul :(

roxynoodle
04-22-2013, 08:58 PM
I'll be thinking of you all. Update us when you can. GCCs are generally between 55 and 75g :(

94lt1
04-23-2013, 02:48 AM
So... My vet says she's 32 grams.. Getting bigger... Treating her for a yeast infection... More news to come... Tired of incompetent vets.. I try to stick with mine.. But well ya know how it sometimes is..

roxynoodle
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
I've gone through a few avian vets and horse vets. I currently have such a great CAV that I will probably stay in my area just because of her. I have moments where I want to live in nicer climate, but she is worth staying here for.

32g is much better but she is very tiny. Does the vet think she can gain some weight or is she stunted?

94lt1
04-23-2013, 03:43 PM
The vet thinks she will grow.. She's really eating for us now.. She likes broccoli...

94lt1
04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Rain is a shy little cutie.. She's so quiet... And such a beautiful baby girl... She's starting to see up, and get used to our schedule...

Cinnamon green cheeks are so different... I'm glad we rescued her... She's my baby girl... :) :cool::thumbup:

Animalman2046
04-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Rain is a shy little cutie.. She's so quiet... And such a beautiful baby girl... She's starting to see up, and get used to our schedule...

Cinnamon green cheeks are so different... I'm glad we rescued her... She's my baby girl... :) :cool::thumbup:

So glad that you were able to rescue her and I know you will give her a great home and lots of love. I also have a rescue a 5 month crimson bellied conure. He is so adorable and so lovable. Rescues are so thankful and devoted they will be your best friends for life.

94lt1
04-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Its amazing... But you know.. Being stuck in the light 24/7 is insane.. I'd go nuts, I promise I would... I can only imagine what these animals must feel and go through.. BUT ITS NOT RIGHT.. :)

Perhaps the pets shops should consider that

94lt1
04-30-2013, 04:44 PM
So we had her band cut off.. She was always fussing with it, and it kept her from using her foot it seemed..

So now she steps up, she's getting more and more active... Barely ever makes a noise though... She's coming around...

mistywaterwoman
04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
I just found this thread!! GOD BLESS YOU, you are doing a truly wonderful thing for that baby!! I will be sure to keep an eye out for updates. She's a beautiful little angel!!

:love_heart:

94lt1
05-01-2013, 04:24 AM
Thanx.. She's a sweet bird.. Doesn't smell as much either.. She's not big on baths yet.. But I think she can learn... Lol.

ACEPHONECHIC
05-01-2013, 07:15 AM
On thing to consider on the smell as well it depends sometimes on the diet of the parrot. I have noticed it when we have had new conures. I guess now you have her on a better diet the smell if it is that should be improving.
You are doing a fantastic job keep it up and the rewards will be great.

94lt1
05-01-2013, 06:31 PM
He smell we think, is because she was covered in a slime, she was eating her own feces because the people weren't feeding her... She was barely clinging to life.. Rocking back n forth in her cage, in a daze...

But yep, her diet is much better now... We take her outside in the sunlight.. Here's the strange thing.. She's way more active at 8:30pm than any other time...

She runs all over her cage, chases her shadow... And squawks... That's the only time she squawks..... During the day, she's moving and eating, but nothing like in the evening.... We put our birds to bed at 9 pm..so... Hopefully she'll start to get used to our schedule..

94lt1
05-05-2013, 05:15 AM
She's coming into her own, she looks better, gaining weight.. Still very withdrawn.. She's learning to step up, but she's still very unsure..

She stays close to me, but still prefers to be left alone for right now.. We finally got her eating veggies and fruits... She won't take them from us, but she will eat them out of her dish... She loves green grapes.. Broccoli, and brown rice..

keepsmiling
05-05-2013, 08:20 AM
The smell you noted, is from the yeast infection. Once that clears up the smell should go away. I am glad she is gaining weight and doing well. 32 gms... shameful!:th_sad14:

94lt1
05-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Here Rain is hanging out on the bird couch... She's getting more and more active... She's starting to get hand trained...

94lt1
05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
So.. I have to ask.. What does a typical green cheek sound like? I'm so used to a macaw.... Shot gun blasts.....

Amazon... Also pretty loud when she wants to be,

parakeets... Intense chirping...

Sun conure being hormonal.. Can be pretty dang loud..

Green cheek... Well rain let's out very soft, quiet chirps... My parakeets are louder than her..... Way louder

So what does a typical green cheek sound like??

Rain has gained quite a bit of weight in our shirt time of having her, she learned to step up, but is still timid.. We're working on that..

We thought she and starburst were trying to be friends... But he tried to get aggressive with her... I stopped that really quick...

She's slowly coming around... She won't come eat with us yet or take any food directly from us, but if I put it on her cage or between the bars, she'll check it out and eat it.... I'm worried she's going to become too attached to her cage... She's a bit harder to figure out than our macaw was...

She doesn't offer up the signs of having enough interaction like our other birds.. She just allows you to do what you will, and she'll look around and lightly squeak.. Then she looks to her cage when she's had enough... No biting... Not even an attempt... She's not into cuddling or anything like that either... She perches on your finger, and on your shoulder, and will allow you to pet her, but she doesn't fluff up like any of our other birds, it's like she's there.. But not really wanting to try to bond.... Idk.. Thoughts.. Ideas??

keepsmiling
05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
I have a black capped conure Elfe, which are similar, and she is rather quiet. Even when she "gets going" with Yuna leading the way{HH parrot} she is still one of my quietest birds.

keepsmiling
05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
As far as how you think she is compared to others, all birds are individuals. You have just added her to your flock right? Give her time and patience, shower her with love, and she will bond just as any other. Some birds respond well to some teaching, by way of a clicker or cue, a treat, to show they have done what you are asking. Lots of praise!

94lt1
05-09-2013, 06:31 PM
That's all we do for every bird... The clicker scares her.. I know she'll come around... Nothing but time..

mistywaterwoman
05-09-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm limited on bird experience, but this sounds similar to what we go through with rescued chinchillas. Depending on how badly they were traumatized before (and her case is definitely extreme) it can take a chin up to a year to finally show their true personality to you. In the interim they are just sort of biding their time, not trusting in the good fortune they are being shown. :(
This is what I tell chin people: it takes time. Keep doing what you are doing, showering her with love and good care. With chins, there comes a moment when they FINALLY seem to realize this is home, I'm staying, I can finally be me. And with chins, that usually means mischief, so when they finally start misbehaving, it's a breakthrough, lol.

God bless you for loving her, Brandon. :th_heart:

Kalidasa
05-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Hi Brandon, I just adopted a GCC about a month ago under similar ( although not as horrific) circumstances.
So glad to hear you are adopting that poor bird...it's amazing the turnaround that happens from a neglected bird that finally receives the love and attention it deserves.
THERE ARE NO BAD BIRDS!!!
That lady is misinformed, or stupid.
Best of luck, I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised...after the initial weird period.:th_imok::th_imok::

jtbirds
05-10-2013, 01:20 AM
There are no bad animals just bad owners in my world;).

Animalman2046
05-10-2013, 11:56 AM
jtbirds..........amen! amen! amen! So true I have never met a animal I didn't like or love but can't say that about a lot of peeps..........lol.

Blancaej
05-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Brandon - I just saw this post today. I am so glad you took in this wee bit little pumpkin. She is very cute. It is amazing how much she has changed already with a little TLC and a better diet. It just tears at my heart to read how people treat their animals and birds sometimes. I could not fathom treating my feathered family members this way! Thank goodness you found Rain and rescued her. This is truly a rescue! Good luck with her progress. I will be watching for more pics! :)

94lt1
05-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Thanx guys.. Well Rain is a gorgeous bird, she's very sweet... She steps up now, she flies to me(maybe a foot) off of her cage... That's a bad habit I'm trying to break but it means she wants to be with me.. So.. Its like saying... Don't want to be with me..

So I'm picking my battles at this point.. She's still very quiet.. And sits on her cage with her head down for the most part... But she will let me give her kisses without running, if she doesn't fly to me... She is starting to enjoy being helped with pin feathers, pet and spending time with us off her cage...

She's taking food from us now too.. Little bits of rice and so forth...

She no longer smells, and loves baths..

Starburst at first was jealous and tried to attack.. I put a stop to that... (it's amazing how much bigger he is than her... Like a zon and greenwing macaw)

But they've settled in... They will go to each others can and interact nicely now... Still, we're very on edge about it.. And always watch closely..

She's up to 50 something grams on a full stomach... So.. Slowly but surely this little bird is coming around.. :)

Honesty
05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
I am pleased that Rain is doing well:)

94lt1
05-14-2013, 11:38 PM
There are no bad animals just bad owners in my world;).

That's the first thing I said when I was told she was a bad bird... Birds exhibit learned or conditioned responses.. We teach them how to respond... Good or bad..

ShellyBorg
05-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Poor kid! I am glad you cut the band. If that was her only focus in the tank she must have hated it with all her heart. It took over 5 years to see the true TAG my Spirit is. He is fully out of his shell and some times I would like to stuff him back in! (jk!) Lots of time and love is what she needs and it sounds like you are doing that. Thank you!

mistywaterwoman
05-15-2013, 12:29 AM
YAY for weight gain!!! :th_yah:

And you definitely want to "pick your battles" right now. The important thing is that she knows without a doubt you love her and want her. Everything else will come in time. :thanks4sharingthumb

ConureCrazy
05-15-2013, 04:03 AM
Yay!! :th_yah: SOOO glad Rain is making changes for the better!

roxynoodle
05-15-2013, 12:33 PM
That's a great weight gain!

Kalidasa
05-15-2013, 02:00 PM
trim.6obwJO:th_chickendance:

94lt1
05-16-2013, 06:10 AM
So, Rain is becoming more lively.. Interacting more and more each day.. That's awesome... And she took yet another bath today by herself..

But I've noticed she has a bald spot on the top of her head.. Her feathers are still a little ratty yet.. But this is a bald spot.. Not big at all.. Couldn't photo it so you could actually see it.. Nothing to worry about I'm sure..

But it makes me wonder... She doesn't mutilate herself... So what gives?? We'll be watching this to see..

Kalidasa
05-16-2013, 02:00 PM
She may be scratching the top of her head on something a lot.

94lt1
05-16-2013, 06:28 PM
We'll have to watch for that

buddingtwigs
05-16-2013, 06:55 PM
i had a canary with a little bald patch on his head and it was a hormonal imbalance, but i think that is a more common issue for a canary than a conure.

94lt1
05-16-2013, 11:47 PM
There's pin feathers there today.. But.. Exciting news.... Rain finally sat on my shoulder and shared a birds safe meal today... Rice and beans is what we had... She loved it. :thumbup:

94lt1
05-18-2013, 06:20 PM
So my vet was at the house last night, see my other post in conures.... And after the emergency was over I had him look at the bald spot on rains head...

She has matted feathers on her head that look terrible... She's scratching her head on her cuddlebone holder to break those feathers apart or something... But she's not mutilating herself...

He said for now, watch and follow up.. He didn't think it was serious... The bald spot is the size of the head of a ball point pin.. So pretty small....

Kalidasa
05-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Glad it's not serious. Those little emerging pin feathers are very itchy and uncomfortable.

94lt1
05-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Here's a couple of snaps of rain...on the bird couch...

Idk if you can tell it or not, but she's gotten quite a bit larger

roxynoodle
05-21-2013, 10:20 PM
I can see she's larger. She looks quite a bit better! You've done a great job with her.

94lt1
05-23-2013, 02:41 AM
I need to ask..what is she?? Just a typical female green cheek? Or is she sort of a pineapple.. she has a hint of cinnamon on her belly.....

But now the awesome part...she's starting to cuddle!!!!! She's also eating meals with us now...and she's getting just a little bit more vocal...

Shellybean
05-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Hey great job on rescuing that poor baby. If you check under her wings you'll know she's a cinnamon if there's lime green under there but if they're yellow then she's a pineapple. A pineapple is just a cinnamon and yellowsided mix and they tend to have a brighter red on their belly while cinnamons might have a dilute maroon color. My first parrot was a cinnamon gcc and she was the best bird I've ever had the pleasure to share my life with! They're not very loud birds unless they want something haha. My female cinnamon Ping was very quiet not like my Turquoise gcc male, Rizzy, who is very grouchy when he doesn't get his way. Some breeders believe that cinnamon gcc are more docile than other mutations or normals. They can go through a nippy phase once they mature around a year old (or earlier like my headstrong Rizzy). Congratulations on your new baby! Gcc are my favorite birds as they are little with BIG personalities. As far as quiet natured and kinda zoning out like you were talking about while petting her, my senegal baby is kinda like that. Like the lights are on but nobody's home some of the time so I dunno if some birds are just like that. My senegal wasn't abused and she's coming around more so maybe some birds have that kind of nature about them. Anyways you have on your hands a true gem a lil rough around the edges but I guarantee she'll polish up nicely!

94lt1
03-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Nearly a year since we've shared our lives with Rain...she's such a different bird now :) had a single seizure...but none since...we're very close.. She even flashes her wings at my wife (opens them like a hawk) and let's out a chirp as a warning if jess tries to mess with me..

We pick on each other..and if Rain isn't feeling it..it stops LOL..[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Pinkbirdy
03-06-2014, 01:29 AM
So sweet !! Im happy for you :)

Mare
03-06-2014, 05:04 AM
I'm so happy to hear, no more seizures :). Don't you just love those birds that are always on YOUR side! :th_biggrin:

Maddy
03-06-2014, 05:09 AM
That's wonderful! She is adorable! :th_heart:

94lt1
03-26-2014, 08:16 PM
She was next to another gcc today.. She's so tiny. The poor baby.. I couldn't get a pic cause the other bird tried to bully her. As you can guess... I wouldn't let my baby girl be bullied. So I separated em and played with Rain... So she wouldn't feel left out.