PDA

View Full Version : Something I've heard many times... Agree? / Disagree?

PlaxMacaws
10-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Do members here agree or disagree with the statements from the below-pasted article highlighted in red?

From: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Why do parrots talk ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Pets ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) — 06 June 2013

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Being one of the most fascinating birds of the animal kingdom, parrots manage to enchant their viewers. They are fun loving, chirpy and attractive. So, human beings keep parrots in their homes as they are full time entertainers.

Of all the abilities of parrots, the one which gets noticed frequently is their ability to talk. In fact, parrots can imitate different sounds from different sources. They are quite comfortable in imitating human voice too. With closed eyes, one cannot easily differentiate a syllable uttered by the parrot and by a human being.

The interesting thing about parrots is that they do not have vocal cords like us. They just manage to imitate us by controlling the muscles of their throat to direct the flow of air in such a fashion that it reproduces various sounds and tunes.

Parrots do not have intellect. It is just that they are bestowed with such abilities that they can imitate different sounds. Talking with a parrot is just like talking with a tape wherein it will reproduce only those things which are already recorded. You cannot strike a conversation with a parrot. A parrot begins to learn that if it imitates something it will get what it desires.

Those parrots which are raised in captivity seem to mimic human sounds because they want to be accepted in the family. When a parrot mimics human sounds, it obviously gets more attention and appreciation and that is what a social bird like parrot precisely seeks in captivity.

Mare
10-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Whoever wrote this article, obviously does not live with a companion parrot!

coltfire
10-28-2013, 12:23 AM
if they had no intellect, how could you ask certain birds to go pick up the red round block or other things and the do it, or is that just well TRAINED, i dont think so,not when they can just pick up what you have asked for out of a pile, and like my brother's eckkies, my sister inlaw will say to them ill sing this part you sing that part and the other sing another part or the whole song, and she changes what she say's all the time, but they do what she asks.

PlaxMacaws
10-28-2013, 12:36 AM
No argument from me, Steve! The late CAG research subject, 'Alex', was an absolutely remarkable example against the type of short-sighted thinking within this article's comments. And my GW, Salsa, is quite a convincing example against it as well ;)

Pinkbirdy
10-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Theirs lots of talking at my house [and Ive had lots of appropriate responses ] Plax ,Its funny the one I can actually have a conversation with [is my new GW Ruby].

Blancaej
10-28-2013, 01:39 AM
I totally disagree with this article. I agree with Mare. They've never owned a companion parrot.

josiesmom
10-28-2013, 02:38 AM
I totally disagree with this article. Like others have said, the author must not live with a parrot. Josie talks all the time and gives appropriate responses to questions or just randomly adds her 2cents at appropriate times. She knows everyone's name (in our house) and remembers ppl when they come to visit....she can't say all names, but she has never mistook anyone for my sister heather. She only says that name when she sees her or when I talk to her on the phone. Weird but that's just life with a parrot I guess.

Macawfancy
10-28-2013, 05:49 AM
It is amazing to me that an article such as that was written in 2013 with all that we have learned about our parrot's intelligence. Given the opportunity and interactive time to learn, like a small child, parrots have the ability to respond appropriately to a situation.

Turquoise
10-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Of course I disagree with this article, rather the part highlighted in red. I have 4 talking intelligent minds to back my statement up! Like most who live with parrots, I have heard many a times when one of my feathered kids used a phrase or word at a very appropriate time. Not only are they intelligent enough to understand what we say to them and use it in proper perspective, they are super smart while watching us open & close their homes, food bowls and many other technical chores in their daily lives.

And they don't forget a thing!! Just look at those watchful eyes and tell me they are not intelligent!! You can see the cogwheels in their sharp minds turning & scheming with every interaction you have with them.:th_biggrin:

Honesty
10-28-2013, 09:38 PM
I wonder if the person who wrote this ridiculous article actually has a Parrot? They say a Parrot has the intelligence and talking ability of a small child, which is totally true. Codie knows what he is saying. If I say a certain thing to him, then he reacts accordingly.

plax
10-28-2013, 09:54 PM
I wonder if the person who wrote this ridiculous article actually has a Parrot? They say a Parrot has the intelligence and talking ability of a small child, which is totally true. Codie knows what he is saying. If I say a certain thing to him, then he reacts accordingly.There's absolutely no question in my mind that the author of the article has no clue what she's talking about concerning the potential to comprehend inherent within parrots. She's merely echoing/promulgating old false beliefs in her writing. And there's also absolutely no question in my mind that these feathered guys of ours understand words, phrases, and situations as well as young human children... and in some cases, even better! And I can attest to the fact that many of them most certainly can carry on meaningful conversations about what's on their mind at the moment!

Rescued
10-28-2013, 10:39 PM
I don't really have any real talkers in my house, but that doesn't mean they don't have intellect. Parrots are capable of a great deal, some express it differently. My RB2 says a few things over and over, but she will also tell you when she wants a kiss. She is very insistent and will only do it when I am near and can give her one. Just my 2cents

shel
10-31-2013, 02:05 AM
WHAT THE ****? i mean really....what the ****? beaker *only* says his name, but he shows his intellect in so many ways. whoever wrote this is ridiculous.

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 03:48 AM
I absolutely do not agree with that statement and have witnessed first hand parrots using words in context and even forming their own sentences from individual words they have picked up. I'm not going to say they are all fluent in our human language but they are way more ahead of the game than we are, I know I haven't learned to speak parrot yet no matter how hard I try!

It's not just parrots that have a level of intelligence rivaling humans, this is a pretty cool video on chickens that shows one doing something previously thought to be unique to humans.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

If that embedded video doesn't work, and I don't think it will, here's a direct link [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
10-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Birds are my heroes. They are the bravest, most matter of fact being I've ever come across. How can anyone not respect that and call it meaningless?