PDA

View Full Version : egg bound

coltfire
10-26-2013, 07:59 AM
my favourite English budgie had to go to vets today,and the nearest avian vet is 3 hours away,so went to local who is an idiot, turned around and told me she is a he so he cant be egg bound, must be a virus, i told him she is an English budgie and is female as i have 4 of her babies at home and she had push out 2 egg's since i moved, and im sure that it is an egg stuck, he has not got an xray machine, so its to the avian vet come Monday, but in the mean time i have antibiotics and ,clavulox to try to help her pass it , i just pray it does come out and in one piece.
if only she still looked like this

Feathers First Aviary
10-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Have you ever manually everted an egg before? Or are there any other breeders near you that know how to do it. It is possible to very gently work out an egg with very light massage and mineral oil.

coltfire
10-26-2013, 12:14 PM
no this is the 1st bird in 30 years ive ever had egg bound, what oils do i need , i can call a mate tomorrow to see if he has ever done it, other wise i have to wait till Monday,to see the avian vet,the only problem there is my health will not allow me 3 hours in a car each way, so if i can do it or my friend knows how to ,it would be better for both of us,the only thing im worried about is if it breaks inside her and i think there are two eggs in there from what i can feel, the vet said if it was egg bound she should have stopped eatting and drinking , and she still eats and drinks, but i have noticed she seems to be swelling more.

Feathers First Aviary
10-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I've never had a bird become egg bound either but my partner has and she uses mineral oil on the vent and slowly pushes the egg out. You have to be very careful because like you said, you risk breaking the egg inside the bird and prolapsing the cloaca. I have also heard that adding a few drops of cod liver oil to the birds food can help. Before trying to evert it I would run your shower to get your bathroom all steamy; then put her in the bottom of the tub, hold her gently if you have to, let the water and steam hit her for about fifteen minutes and see if it helps her pass the egg. As far as having two eggs, can they produce another egg when they haven't passed the first one?

coltfire
10-26-2013, 12:44 PM
the cod liver oil, that is like the stuff im giving her now, with the antibiotics, as for running hot water for 15min can not happen as im on tank water and its getting low, and no rain in sight, but i can heat up a washer and apply that to the area, keeping it warm and wet. atm i have her in the nursery under heat to try and help her, do you know or anyone else know how long i have to get the egg out before it becomes fatal for her.

spiritbird
10-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I am by no means as knowledgeable as Sara is but I found a video about chickens and egg binding: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] wishing you all luck in solving the egg issue for your little girl.

coltfire
10-26-2013, 01:39 PM
thanks for that Dianne

Blancaej
10-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Steve, I'm so sorry to hear she may be egg bound. I hope you can get the egg(s) to pass soon. Sending positive thoughts & hugs your way.

Feathers First Aviary
10-26-2013, 08:38 PM
I think it would depend on the bird, if she is acting normall otherwise you probably have some time, when I have seen eggbound birds they were always fluffed and sitting on the bottom of the cage making it a very time sensitive issue, hopefully you have caught it with enough time

coltfire
10-27-2013, 03:55 PM
well she will be going to the other vet tomorrow, if she makes it through the night, was unable to help her pass the egg or i think egg's and today she has been on the floor all fluffed up but then later she was back to the swing and eating and drinking, she is taking her med's no problems, so ill keep her warm and comfortable and pray she makes it through the nigh and the avian vet can help her, but i have a bad feeling it wont be good news from him..

spiritbird
10-27-2013, 07:48 PM
So sorry this bird has to go through this. Why does It always happen on a weekend? :th_grouphug2:

coltfire
10-28-2013, 12:09 AM
well she made it through the night, and we are off to the vets,she was her bounce self again this morning, just very swollen.

Feathers First Aviary
10-28-2013, 09:02 AM
How did it go at the vets? Its just now Monday morning here but I suppose it's about 5pm where you are. Was the vet able to extract the egg(s)? I've been wondering all weekend how she was doing.

coltfire
10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
no he was not, well not at this point, he has given me some other med's to give her for two days, then take her back if she has not passed them her self with a little help from me, soft massage,he also gave me pain med's for her, i hope she makes it through, as she is now the most expensive budgie i own, $220 and im not complaining , its what we do for our loved ones

Feathers First Aviary
10-28-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm surprised he couldn't get the egg out, did he check to see how many eggs she's carrying? And I know how you feel, I had an american budgie that was having seizures(bad formula turned out), it was close to two hundred at the vet with her when all was said and done but its better to be safe than sorry, I can't not at least try to help them.

coltfire
10-28-2013, 11:21 AM
she has 4 in there but the 1st is turned the wrong way and to much pressure from him turning may break it so with this med it should relax her where it hopefully will turn on its own, and as far as cost goes do you put a price on life any life , if there is a chance

Feathers First Aviary
10-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Four eggs!? Oh my, that poor bird, she must be so uncomfortable! I hope the meds work, with that many eggs I don't see any way you'd be able to push them out without breaking them like you said. Did the vet say if it was possible to surgically remove them? I don't know about birds but I know with reptiles that's the only way to fix egg binding. Please do keep us updated though, I've been very worried about her. I seriously hope I don't ever have to experience it. I had a pied parrotlet that I raised but she was bred by my partner, I bought her to keep but then decided I didn't want to keep breeding pacifics and gave her and her hubby back to my partner. Once they were mature and of age she gave them a box and she got eggbound and died with her first egg. :( I was so upset and it really sucks because its just one of those things that can happen :(

spiritbird
10-28-2013, 12:20 PM
I am very concerned for you too Steve. It must hurt them terribly. Praying the medication works.

coltfire
11-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Well she is no longer in any pain, could not get the eggs to come out so had to send her to the rainbow bridge, now she is with George and Mildred, rip my little Eb, you will be missed

Honesty
11-01-2013, 02:06 PM
I am so sorry to hear this Steve :(

spiritbird
11-01-2013, 02:26 PM
That is horrible. Is there any surgical interventions for egg binding? I know you feel so bad and send you a birdie hug.

JudiNH
11-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Oh man...so sorry. How sad. But at least she isnt suffering anymore. So sorry for your loss....

plax
11-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm very sorry, Steve :'(

Mare
11-01-2013, 05:13 PM
So, so sorry, Steve. The poor baby girl is now in a better place. Too bad the meds couldn't help :(

Debra
11-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Oh, Steve! I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending hugs your way.

Feathers First Aviary
11-01-2013, 07:05 PM
So very sorry steve :( just please find some solace in the fact that you did everything you could to help her **hugs** <(^v^)>