PDA

View Full Version : trust

shel
10-26-2013, 12:18 AM
i was rubbing beaker's tiny head today when i realized just how much our pets, especially small ones, must trust us. i could crush beaker's head between my thumb and finger, yet he trusts that i will not harm him....

maybe it's just me, but i find this amazing.

shel

Rescued
10-26-2013, 03:12 AM
It is amazing this thing called trust. From the tiny to the huge the fact that an animal would choose to love and trust us is a miracle. It is our duty not to betray it. I train horses to be calm and trusting in very scary situations that is against their nature to face, they do it because they have faith in me. I am grateful for their trust, but very aware that it must be maintained and treated with the respect that is warranted for such an honor.

Birdboy
10-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Trust is an amazing thing in birds.
The most amazing thing about it is the journey of trust. When I got keiko she hated me, now she lets me rub her head.
I find it amazing that an animal can grow trust for you.

Honesty
10-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Yes it is amazing how they totally put your trust in you. I am the only person that Codie puts his trust in!

Mare
10-27-2013, 02:23 AM
Trust begins with one putting it's life, (be it physical, mental, emotional), in someone else's hands. When comfort begins, I think, trust begins.

Blancaej
10-27-2013, 03:38 AM
They do put their whole lives in our hands. That trust is a precious thing should be cherished and respected.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Turquoise
10-28-2013, 05:58 AM
If you never gain your parrot's trust, you miss out on so many of the pleasures of living with these truly amazing feathered creatures. A truly special bond only you and your feathered wonder can share. :th_heart:

What amazes me about a parrot's trust is the ones who have been abused and lived in sad situations for years can learn to trust again when paired with just the right person. And what amazes me even more is when it just seems it was meant to be that the right person happens into one of these 'special birds' lives right when it needs it the most!!:th_hug8:

spiritbird
10-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Someone please tell Gypsy he can trust me! Nine months of trying now and no progress at all.

shel
10-31-2013, 02:09 AM
Someone please tell Gypsy he can trust me! Nine months of trying now and no progress at all.

don't give up on gypsy. i admit that i am very new to birds, but i have years and years of experience with rescue dogs, many of whom were in a shape i can't even describe. and from what i have seen, parrots are smarter than dogs in many ways. 9 months may seem a long time to you, but to your bird it is a lifetime. be patient....and go slow. love wins out in the end.

shel

Feathers First Aviary
10-31-2013, 04:03 AM
I'm so glad you brought this up, I think about this little anomaly quite often. Particularly when I'm attempting to interact with a bird that is known for being a bit of a biter. I just know the anxiety that builds up when you simply place your hand in the range of their beak, knowing that they may very well grab ahold of you. Upon realizing this we too have to see things from their perspective, they are tiny compared to us, even large birds are small in comparison to an adult human, and yet they can strike a fear into us while at the same time, we expect them to automatically trust us. Expecting any bird to trust you right off the bat is absolutely ridiculous, if they were to trust every huge foreign creature that reached out to them they would have found themselves on the endangered species list a long time ago. Trust really is a two way street and I firmly believe that you will NEVER gain the trust of a parrot without first putting your trust in them.

shel
10-31-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm so glad you brought this up, I think about this little anomaly quite often. Particularly when I'm attempting to interact with a bird that is known for being a bit of a biter. I just know the anxiety that builds up when you simply place your hand in the range of their beak, knowing that they may very well grab ahold of you. Upon realizing this we too have to see things from their perspective, they are tiny compared to us, even large birds are small in comparison to an adult human, and yet they can strike a fear into us while at the same time, we expect them to automatically trust us. Expecting any bird to trust you right off the bat is absolutely ridiculous, if they were to trust every huge foreign creature that reached out to them they would have found themselves on the endangered species list a long time ago. Trust really is a two way street and I firmly believe that you will NEVER gain the trust of a parrot without first putting your trust in them.

exactly. birds or any animals, really. my 90 pound dog was a "biter" in his previous home. he's never even offered to try to bite my husband or me. how an animal reacts has a lot to do with how the person acts. anxiety or fear is not the way to go...

beaker is the bitiest bird on the planet, i have no idea what i am doing to cause him to be so bitey....maybe it's just because he is a GCC and they tend to be biters. still, i'm not anxious or afraid of him. i just wish he was not trying to build a nest in my hair as i type this.

Debra
10-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Expecting any bird to trust you right off the bat is absolutely ridiculous, if they were to trust every huge foreign creature that reached out to them they would have found themselves on the endangered species list a long time ago. Trust really is a two way street and I firmly believe that you will NEVER gain the trust of a parrot without first putting your trust in them.

I actually have one bird (out of 13) that will go to ANY person (whether he's seen them or never seen them before) as long as they are standing and are in proximity of him. Tex has never met a stranger. Sometimes, that trust worries me though. You never know what's going to happen at any given time.