PDA

View Full Version : Looks like it's off to a surgeon for me

Debra
10-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel. My dr told me to get some splints and wear them 24/7 for two weeks and if I wasn't better then she would refer me to a surgeon. I did as told and not only are my hands still going numb, but now I've got pain in my wrists that travels up to my elbows. So I called her back and she's referring me to the surgeon. I have no idea who I'm going to so I can't call and hurry things up with an appointment. It's probably good that I'm having this surgery done as I cannot stop doing what caused it -- driving the bus/computer time. I'm just hoping I won't be out of commission for too long. I need to work.

On the good note, I took my hubby to get a shot to take care of the nerve pain he's got this morning. He has a bone spur in his neck that is pressing against the nerve that goes down his left arm and he's been in a lot of pain for the past month. He's finally feeling better and starting tomorrow I won't have to drive him all around. He can be back to driving me! That will cut down on the wear and tear of my wrists. lol

Honesty
10-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hear you have to have surgery Deb. At least once its done you will be free of pain!

coltfire
10-24-2013, 03:01 AM
Good luck with that Debra, and with hubby tell him i feel his pain, as i have 5 spurs atm in the neck and they are not fun.

spiritbird
10-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Best of luck to the both of you.

Blancaej
10-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear you have to get surgery Deb. But maybe this will help your wrists once and for all. Glad hubby is feeling better, too!

Debra
11-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Well, I went to the surgeon today. She wanted to try doing the cortisone shots first and see how that does. So, I got the shots. I go back to her in 6 weeks to let her know if I'm still having numb hands/pain. If I am, then we will do surgery. So, for now, at least, I'm good to go. I just hope those shots kick in soon as my left hand is still numb and hurting. She said that that one is my worst one according to how I responded to the shot compared to the right hand. We shall see.

Honesty
11-01-2013, 07:58 PM
I will keep my fingers crossed that the cortisone shots work for you Deb :th_hug8:

coltfire
11-02-2013, 01:55 PM
good luck with the shots, i get them in my shoulder every 8 to 12 weeks

Debra
11-02-2013, 02:11 PM
My hands went numb last night, but they didn't hurt. This morning they are swollen and hurt whenever I grip anything. I hope this is normal. Hopefully it will not last long. Ugh!!

Turquoise
11-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh my, Debra you are having so much trouble with this. I do hope the shots help as well and the numbness goes away. We need our hands to do everything there is in a days time. it is so frustrating when one part of the body does not want to cooperate with the rest like it should. I will be sending you Good Karma that the shots work and you don't have to have surgery.

Glad the shot helped your hubby. Hope he doesn't have to have them scraped off or any invasive surgeries of the sorts. It can be a good thing and take care of the problems.

I know what that is like also to have numbness & pain from a neck injury from when I was 1 yr old. It has caused numbness in the right shoulder and spinal migraines over the years. I zone as much of it out as I can along with the other places I have back damage in from lifting, building and working with heavy stuff that a small female should never have been doing in her younger years. I will not go through a back surgery. I saw what my sister had to go through with 5 neck & back surgeries and how much pain she was still in. That is not for me!

Debra
11-05-2013, 06:49 PM
De' -- so far so good with the numbness. Unfortunately, when she gave me the shot in my left wrist she got too close to the nerve. Now I have a pain that is worse than before I saw her. I'm hoping it will go down with time. It does seem to be a little bit better, but then again I've been taking hydrocodone for the pain. lol.

spiritbird
11-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Hang in there. This too will pass. Remember it is OK to say OUCH!