PDA

View Full Version : Hello to you all.

R.E.M.
10-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Hello, my name is Christine and I set up a Parrot Refuge over 25 years ago. We have been a registered charity since 1998. We have permanent resident birds that will be cared for for the rest of their lives by us :)

The Greenwing on my shoulder is Flo she is so beautiful and gentle, she was the last Macaw to come to the main centre in 2011 we have 21 now so we can't take in any more, we do rehome other species of parrots to members.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

here is a bit about us and our website for you to have a look at.

We took in our first Blue and Gold macaw in 1986 her name is Cindy, somehow the word got around and other species of parrot started to come to us. Birds came in from as far away from Leeds, Cornwall and Essex but we never advertised. We accumulated a lot of birds which we had to feed and pay Vet bills for out of our own pockets.

After an invite onto a TV show called Animal Minds (jealousy in parrots 1998) The Daily Express did a two page write up in their Saturday Colour Supplement. They included our phone number and the phone didn't stop ringing and we still get the odd one now from this article.

All types of parrots started flooding in mostly macaws and our funds were at rock bottom. We went to see our Vet Neil Forbes who suggested we became a Registered Charity which we did in 1999 then donations started coming in and we could find good homes for a lot of the parrots instead of them coming to live here at the Main Centre.

To date we have a very good Board of Trustees and we have recently revised all of our paperwork with the aid of our Solicitor (a Trustee) to ensure the safety of the parrots donated to us. We also do a Bequest Service to put peoples minds at rest as to what will happen to their bird if anything should happen to them.

At the main Centre we have 21 large macaws of different species 2 African Greys, 2 Alexandrine Parakeets and 2 Severe macaws who hatched in 1986. There are a lot of parrots rehomed all over the UK and we like the Guardians to keep in touch with their previous owners to let them know how they are.

There is a new website full of very useful information for the beginner and experienced parrot keepers. Our Patron Neil Forbes has helped a lot with this. If you would like to visit the site it's [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] On here you can read about the Resident macaws including Jack our 86 year old Blue and Gold macaw.

Best wishes,

Christine

Honesty
10-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello Christine and :pp_welcome:We are very happy to have you here and look forward to hearing all your stories.

I have enjoyed looking at your website and very much admire what you do:)

spiritbird
10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Sending you a very warm welcome and a thanks for the good work you are doing there.

Debra
10-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Welcome Christine! My what an amazing thing you do. I wish there were a place like yours near me so I could be certain my birds will have a home after I die. Thank you for being there for these feathered ones.

Blancaej
10-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Hello and Welcome Christine! What a wonderful organization you have! I look forward to hearing many stories!

plax
10-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Welcome Christine. Your mission is very needed and impressive! I'm so happy to hear about your amazing work with (and for) parrots in need. There is such a huge place for organizations like yours in our world... so many companion birds have uncertain futures, and, in too many cases, end up with unthinkably grim and shortened lives :(. Please keep up the great work!

Pinkbirdy
10-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Wonderful !! You can tell the caring and dedication on your site. Im jealous that I don't have something like yours near me [I live in the states] . Of course we want to hear about all your macaws and what they're like. It would be neat to know what you feed them and what your sources are [same for toys] .

coltfire
10-24-2013, 03:06 AM
welcome , enjoy the site , and a big thank you for the work you do and the safe haven you have made for those birds

Turquoise
10-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the forum Christine. You have a very big job taking care of so many unfortunate parrots. Macaws are my favorite, I am glad to know they have a wonderful place to go if they find themselves alone in this world.