PDA

View Full Version : ~~Malay Eagle-Owl~~

Turquoise
10-23-2013, 07:34 AM
The Malay eagle-owl is an unusual bird whose southeast Asian taxonomic relationships are still unresolved. The video below is that of a Malay eagle-owl who is obviously enjoying having his head scratched and seems to have learned that if it bats his big eyes then he will get more scratches.

The Barred or Malay Eagle Owl is a large, striking owl with barred underparts and very long, outward slanting ear-tufts. The species name "sumatranus" is the Latinised form of Sumatra, where the first specimen described was located.

Habits: The Barred Eagle Owl is a nocturnal or crepuscular bird. It roosts by day singly or in pairs, hidden in a lofty tree with dense foliage, often near the trunk.

Hunting & Food: Feeds on large insects, birds and small mammals and reptiles.

Breeding: This owl probably pairs for life, and pairs are very loyal to nest sites, returning year after year. Nests are in large tree holes, or commonly on the top of large Bird's Nest ferns. The female lays only one white oval egg (53.8-57.7mm x 42.8-44.9mm).

Habitat: Evergreen forest with ponds and streams, gardens with large, densely foliaged trees, groves in cultivated country, sometimes not far from habitation. Ranges from sea level to 1000m elevation, rarely higher to about 1600m.

Distribution: Southern Burma, Southern Thailand, Malay Peninsula, Sumatra, Bangka, Borneo, Java and Bali. - Source: The Owl Pages

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Blancaej
10-25-2013, 12:49 AM
That is quite the owl!

Honesty
10-25-2013, 06:51 AM
That is beautiful:)

Debra
10-25-2013, 03:39 PM
He's so cute!! I just love owls.

Turquoise
10-27-2013, 01:31 PM
I love the way his eyes look and how he rolls them around when he is getting scratched. Plus he looks like something from the 'Land of the Ewoks' in the Star Wars movies. :th_LOL:

If these kinds of birds were domesticated for keeping like our parrots, I'd be looking for one. He is just adorable!!:th_hug8: