PDA

View Full Version : "throw-away" budgies

shel
10-23-2013, 01:50 AM
i never thought of myself as a bird person. growing up we had cats and dogs, and as i got older i had dogs, cats, and rabbits......then one day a friend had a budgie that she could not keep. so i took it. it was not tame and no amount of patience on my part ever tamed it, but i loved watching it and listening to it's pretty noises. it did eventually die, but it was around 12 years by that time.

i told my husband that i would like more budgies, preferably 2 so that they could keep each other company. my husband comes home with 6, in a tiny, dirty cage, and the food that came with them was the cheapest, nastiest wild bird food ever! seems a guy hubby knows was going to "let them go" in the middle of winter because he was "sick of them". we quickly bought them a bigger cage and appropriate food. they always freak out if i try to do more than feed and water them. obviously once a week i have to clean the cage but i can't see stressing them by trying to make them "pets" at this point. they have already been through enough.

then a co-worker of mine had 2 more budgies that she wanted to get rid of because they were her husband's and he left her so she didn't want them. after a quarantine period i put them in with the flock. after a few weeks i re-designed the cages by joining them together so they have a very large cage now, plus i am thinking on how to add another cage without making it impossible to clean.

i can't believe that people think these amazing little angels are "throw-aways". i love every one of them, and i know if they had been handled and socialized they could have better and free-er lives. as it is they are all cage-bound and if any of them accidentally gets out it is terrifying for them.

their cage is not the cleanest in the universe, but that has more to do with not wanting to stress them than not wanting them to have a clean cage. once a week is enough...they are so terrified. i try to give them all the love, good food, fresh water, and toys that i can. in return they give me sweet little songs and beautiful colors....

shel

ShellyBorg
10-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Sounds like you should think about a huge flight cage for who you have and the ones coming. :D

shel
10-23-2013, 02:02 AM
Sounds like you should think about a huge flight cage for who you have and the ones coming. :D

i agree.........but money is a bit of an issue, and i'm pretty good at re-designing and joining cages i have or can pick up cheap into bigger ones. it just takes a little creativity, some wire cutters and a good pair of pliars! lol!

Minamommy
11-21-2013, 09:03 AM
I seen online some DIY flight cages. I have a crazy little keet. She hates to be out of her cage. I tried and tried. She wouldn't even try to fly away she would just fly to the cage. So I saved and got the large vision cage for her to make it as comfy as possible. My other problem is she freaks out unless I have anything but corncob in the cage. I just found these little log shaped things and she was ok with them so fingers crossed when I change her cage tomorrow she is still ok. I still love the little cutie.

Garnet
11-22-2013, 02:44 AM
I am so glad you took these little guys from the people that didn't want them. They aren't disposable and it is hard to believe someone would actually set them free in the cold for them to either starve to death or freeze to death. So sad, but so glad you are the caring person you are to give these little flying jewels a nice home. Good job.

spiritbird
11-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Bless you all and please enjoy them. Budgies are just so adorable.

aliray
11-22-2013, 10:50 PM
I love their chatter. I don't have room for any more birds. I have 4 already, one cat and two dogs. But I do hang around for a while at the pet stores and just listen to and watch them when I go there for food and treats for all the critters. Alison