PDA

View Full Version : Still fighting..

Wulfgeist
10-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Another month has gone by and Crowley has had ups and downs. I had been giving him kitten formula on the tail end of a not caring to eat phase and ordered some cans of Clinicare. After that he had gained half a pound but then he turn around and lost it again. He's hanging in there around 5 pounds and the last few days have been hungry ones for him. I like the hungry cat better than the having to syringe soft foods cat.

Not much caring for "it is probably the virus" without any option of any sort of testing to rule anything else out, nor the attitude I get from the one girl at the front desk I decided to take him over to the place I took Jasper. The vet we saw today seemed to totally agree with me that his life is worth ruling out other factors before just making that most painful decision. She didn't hesitate at all or try to convince me his quality of life is worse than I believe so I don't think I'm totally off base.

$436 and several hours later..they checked his blood, urine, thyroid (there is a slight problem there but sadly not so lucky to have his condition magically explained and helped with medicine like hyper thyroid), stained his eye to make sure there's no scratch because he's been having an issue with one eye. It could be the other vet was right, it's the virus and there's not much to do but at least give me the choice to make sure everything else is ruled out.

He's very skinny but there's still life left in him, it's amazing to see. He was being very sweet with the vet and tech today (until another tech came in to try to iv him for some sub cu fluids and he turned into his namesake, The King of Hell, and tried to eat the iv tubing)

And he has fleas..I was suspecting as much because I have noticed my other cats scratching. Lovely. Revolution all around, please. I hate the thought of constantly buying that now because I will have to, landlord upstairs has two dogs, four cats and they are all scratching and at least one of the two kittens they brought in from a feral mama has bad earmites. Don't want to get started on that. Likely Crowley will be blamed for their fleas.

So that's pretty much where we are now. Some pain med for the eye, antibiotics, topical steroid for the eye..I'm hoping for some sort of improvement by the time the antibiotics are gone. There's also the option of ultrasound on his belly because she though his intenstines felt thick but she said it could be because he is so thin. He has been having tummy troubles so there might be something else going on there.

I'm just thankful he's still around for the moment and doesn't seem to be too much bothered by everything. He even climbed up onto my worktable and into the window by himself, he hasn't done that in a good while.

Turquoise
10-23-2013, 05:59 AM
Thank you RJ for giving us an update on Crowley. I am very glad to hear he is still fighting the good fight! :th_hug8: he doesn't sound like he wants to give up yet and that is a very good sign in my opinion.

I know how hard it is for you to stay strong, but you are doing a tremendous job of not giving up on Crowley and I so commend you for your dedication to him. Maybe your new vet will be the turning point in Crowley's recovery. I do hope he continues to respond to the tender loving care you are giving him. And the new vet's determination to find out what is the best route to take with his medication will get Crowley back to the playful boy we know he can be.

You hang in there RJ and know that we are here for moral support. I will keep you & Crowley in my thoughts and send Good Karma to help him along.

spiritbird
10-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Sorry to hear what is going on with Crowley. We almost have to put our furry friends in a bubble to stay healthy and that is no way or a cat to live. My goodness, you are doing all you can for him. 5 pounds is not much. Hugs to you and hang in there.

Mare
10-24-2013, 02:56 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Crowley :(. I truly hope he continues to become stronger. How old is he?

Wulfgeist
10-24-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Crowley :(. I truly hope he continues to become stronger. How old is he?

He was listed as one year old, Mare. Another reason I have trouble just giving up on him. Had this been a twelve year old cat who had up til then had a great life..nah, I would still be doing the same..lol

Honesty
10-24-2013, 10:37 AM
I hope Crowley continues to getting stronger and makes a full recovery!

Blancaej
10-24-2013, 12:47 PM
You are doing such a wonderful job with Crowley! Thank goodness he has you. I hope that he starts to finally show some improvement, especially once the meds are done. Thanks for the update!

Rescued
10-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Is he FelV or FIV positive? I'm sorry for your kitty being sick.

Wulfgeist
11-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Is he FelV or FIV positive? I'm sorry for your kitty being sick.

He's FIV pos. His appetite has been really good but in the last week he's been piddling outside of his box, sometimes wetting his bed. Now I see he's acting like he's in pain and his bladder feels pretty full despite him urinating more than just a little bit. I can put him in his box every couple hours and he will squat and make a puddle. (he's on newspaper and paper towels right no, no litter due to him eating litter probably because of his anemia which might have been due to the fleas) He's not totally blocked but I'm going to have to call tomorrow and make another trip to the vet. Our next visit was supposed to be for an ultra sound on his belly to see what might be going on in there. That was before I noticed the cat litter consumption. His belly was always gugling and making noises. I haven't noticed the gurgling going on so much lately. This next paycheck was supposed to go towards getting my ride fixed. It's been broken down a good two months now. With all this going on with my gold plated kitty and shortened hours at work Im having a heck of time getting back ahead of the game.

I appeciate everyone's thoughts and prayers, means alot to me. Thank you all.

spiritbird
11-10-2013, 10:20 PM
My heart is with you in this valiant effort to keep Crowley happy. When and if the time comes that you think he is not longer comfortable and not enjoying life you will know. Bless you and your family.

Turquoise
11-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Hope Crowley can overcome all that is going on with his health. He is a fighter and he loves you for doing all you can to help him through this. :th_hug8:

Many years ago my Mom gave me her Himalayan Persian, he was 2 1/2 yrs old. He was a gorgeous cat and so sweet. He began to piddle in places like on furniture and piles of clothes. He was having difficulty urinating and it caused him to try everywhere he stopped at. A vet visit revealed he had an ulcerated bladder. Unfortunately he had been ill from the time my Mom first got him as a kitten, but didn't show it and he did not live over it. I don't even remember now what the vet said probably caused the bladder to become ulcerated as this was way back in the mid 1980s.