PDA

View Full Version : hi!

shel
10-23-2013, 01:11 AM
hi everyone!

my husband brought home my beautiful GCC in august right after my beloved rabbit who was nearly 10 years old passed on. while no other animal can take the place of my bunny, this silly and amazing little bird has made things easier! he was hatched in april of 2013, his name is beaker (i don't really know if he is a boy or girl, but he seems very "boyish" to me, so unless he lays an egg i'm assuming he is male).

i stumbled onto another companion bird forum the same night that beaker came home, and the folks there have been so wonderful and helpful that i thought i would try to branch out to a few other forums.

so here i am!

shel

ShellyBorg
10-23-2013, 01:23 AM
Welcome Shell! This is a great flock to hang with!

shel
10-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Welcome Shell! This is a great flock to hang with!

we seem to have the same name! my full name is shelly, but my friends/family just call me shel

ShellyBorg
10-23-2013, 01:44 AM
I go by Shell a lot, my real name is Michelle. I like Shelly better, it fits. :D

shel
10-23-2013, 01:54 AM
what kind of bird is that in your avatar? the green and yellow is amazing! (amongst other things i am a fiber artist, so color is a big thing for me!)

plax
10-23-2013, 01:58 AM
Welcome to our community, Shel! Thanks for joining us :)

ShellyBorg
10-23-2013, 02:00 AM
what kind of bird is that in your avatar? the green and yellow is amazing! (amongst other things i am a fiber artist, so color is a big thing for me!)

That is my Senegal Demon. He is a great little bird.

shel
10-23-2013, 02:09 AM
what a sweetie! my beaker is up way past his bedtime and won't leave my finger. makes it a bit hard to 9type! lol

Turquoise
10-23-2013, 02:12 AM
Welcome to the flock Shelly & Beaker. :th_greet13: Glad you found us. We have plenty of room on our chatting limb for ya'll to hang out and have fun with the rest of the feathered family here! :th_hug8:

Beaker sounds like an adorable little guy/gal. GCCs are super sweet and one of the most loving feathered fabies you can get. I have a pineapple green cheek girl named Peta. She is 6 1/2 yrs old and a total sweetheart. I will look forward to hearing all about Beaker as he matures. :th_biggrin:

So sorry to hear about your bunny. I have had some wonderful bunnies in past years. Each one was a special friend and so loving. I just released a wild cottontail I saved from my poodles after they found the nest in my backyard & killed the other babies. It was very sweet and grew fast, but it belonged to the wilds, not in a cage. I just wished the Mommies would quit making nests in my backyard where they know my dogs come out in everyday. Earlier in the summer I saved another baby, but it had been hurt too bad before I got it away from Nakia and died a couple of days later.

shel
10-23-2013, 02:23 AM
GCC's sweet? :th_loltears:
ok, beaker has his sweet moments, but he is very, very bitey! my hands are a MESS from bird bites. i'm not complaining, i love the little guy but OMG the bites! still, maybe it is lucky he came to me because i spent many years working with rescue great danes, and while this little green demon may destroy my hands with a multitude of tiny bites, it's not like he can rip out huge chunks of flesh like a giant breed dog can (and has done).

beaker is an amazing little guy.....scared of nothing, cute as he11, and he has his very loving and tender moments. i live for those. but he is just as likely to bite, bite, bite.

actually, i need to get my DH to video me singing the "bite song" i made up with beaker "dancing" on my hand.

shel

Turquoise
10-23-2013, 02:44 AM
They tend to be a bit of a biter I have read when they are young & still learning how to be part of the flock.:th_LOL:

I didn't get Peta as a youngster. She was 5 1/2 yrs old when her former Mom needed to re-home her. So she has been a sweetheart from day one. In fact the day I went to see if I would be the right person to take her home, she came right to me from her Mom's shoulder, gave me a kiss which convinced her Mom to let me have her. That night she sat on my shoulder and nibbled my ear as if she had always been with me.

She is my first GCC so I can't say that is the normal behavior once they are mature, but I think there is hope for your hands and Beaker will outgrow his nippyness.:th_LOL: Now when it comes to my macaws, that is a different story! My Roscoe loves to pinch my bicep as I carry him to his play perch. He has an impish playful streak in him.:th_hehe:

shel
10-23-2013, 02:51 AM
They tend to be a bit of a biter I have read when they are young & still learning how to be part of the flock.:th_LOL:

I didn't get Peta as a youngster. She was 5 1/2 yrs old when her former Mom needed to re-home her. So she has been a sweetheart from day one. In fact the day I went to see if I would be the right person to take her home, she came right to me from her Mom's shoulder, gave me a kiss which convinced her Mom to let me have her. That night she sat on my shoulder and nibbled my ear as if she had always been with me.

She is my first GCC so I can't say that is the normal behavior once they are mature, but I think there is hope for your hands and Beaker will outgrow his nippyness.:th_LOL: Now when it comes to my macaws, that is a different story! My Roscoe loves to pinch my bicep as I carry him to his play perch. He has an impish playful streak in him.:th_hehe:

ah, lucky you! i'd love to have a macaw or an african grey! but seriously, i know what i can handle at the moment and beaker is probably it....well, beaker, 8 budgies, 3 cats, and a 90 pound mastiff mix (to me that is a little dog). i have to admit that while i am not fond of being bitten, i find beaker's sass and bravado very endearing. how can i not love a tiny bird that has put said dog and all but one of the cats in their place. he and the persian cat i inherited when my mom died seem to have called a truce. they both think they are 9 feet tall and bullet proof!

i am enjoying every moment of learning to be a bird mom. it is a very new and wonderful way of learning to relate to the world....

shel

Honesty
10-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Hello Shelly and :pp_welcome:Thank you for joining us.

spiritbird
10-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for joining us. I think this is the friendliest forum on the net.

Debra
10-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Welcome Shel! It's good to see you here. Looks like you will be a great asset to our community.

Blancaej
10-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Hello and Welcome Shel & Beaker! Glad you can join us!