PDA

View Full Version : lets talk about showers...

ShellyBorg
10-22-2013, 12:32 AM
So Paris HATES water, I mean to the point she is sure she will melt away into a little puddle of nothingness but sticky sweetness...I have tried spraying her (OMG ITS ACID!!!!! ) I have tired to get her in the sink.( I DON'T WANA BE A NUGGET!) I have stood in the shower holding a panicking Macaw while trying to not get my fingers ventilated (I DON'T WANT TO GO DOWN THE DRAIN! )

Any helpful ideas? She comes in and stands on the shower bar every morning and watches me shower. So its not a fear of the stall. She watches the other birds splash in there dishes and get sprayed. I though macs liked water?!

Pinkbirdy
10-22-2013, 01:17 AM
You can tell my 2 [Rocky and Ruby didn't have showers] I use a sprayer [you get at a garden store . It gives you a continual light mist . I would pick what way you wanted to do it [and just be consistent] .She will adjust . Mine hated it and I see improvement.

josiesmom
10-22-2013, 01:20 AM
For Josie we have a shower rob that we out lower so she can go in and out of the water whenever she wants. I took her a little while to adjust but now she loves it. I wrapped a section of it with vet tape so she can hold on. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
10-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Hopefully, Paris will eventually get used to it. Codie hated the shower, but he loves to be sprayed, so this is the way i have to do it with him. I have a bottle with a very light mister on it and he loves it.

jacksmom
10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
As long as I didn't crowd her too much, she was letting me give her a bath with the spray bottle in the greenhouse. She was still a little fearful of it, and I had to stand at least three feet away - but she had started to actually come towards me and willingly stepping into the spray sometimes.

Try not spraying it directly on her at first, but just pumping it a few times where she can see you and notice that nothing bad is coming of it. If she shows discomfort or backs away, I would stop immediately...bath time should be fun, not punishment.

I don't know about what is "supposed to be" with Macaws, but I can say that Jack hated baths at first also. Now, he loves them! :) I think it is about making it pleasant/fun for them...I have never used treats as a bribe for this, but I imagine it would work pretty well! :)

Best tip: patience! ;)

Macaw Lover
10-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Kalea only loves the water bottle method but it cannot be in the shower itself. I have to put towels down on the floor (make that 4 heavy-heavy duty bath sheets under her ceiling suspended manzanita play area. When you spray her she flaps and runs around and has just a great time. You put her on the stand outside of the shower but in the bathroom and when I try to bring her into the shower for her time, she wants not part of it. I have to use a stick to get her to step up on and even then I chance a bite from her she hates it so bad. When I get her in there she is still not wild about the whole process but the one thing I noticed, she doesn't like getting her head/face wet when in the shower like that.

Jody used to like showers way back when but then she started choosing not to take one. Can't use a spray bottle with her either as they freak her out if it is just sitting even in the general area she is in. When Kalea came here and I started trying to do the shower thing with Kalea, eventually I asked Jody if she wanted a shower and she stepped onto my hand. She doesn't fight me when I want to give her a bath but don't get her head/face wet. She does not like that.

Donovan prefers the spray bottle as that was the only way he ever knew before coming here. He doesn't get anywhere near excited about it like Kalea does. Donovan will step up for me if I want to take him into the shower and I had always hoped to have a little birdie who just had a fantastic time flapping and all in the water but he doesn't do that either. With Donovan I have to do things slowly and when he is comfortable so if he is in the shower and has the one side wet, getting him to step onto my other arm for the other side to be wet doesn't happen easily. He also doesn't like getting his head wet in the shower.

So, wet towels are hung up around here when 2 of the 3 take spray bottle showers and remember, no getting heads wet in the shower.

Blancaej
10-25-2013, 12:46 AM
I use a shower rod for Savannah, too. She was never showered either (before I had her) but will stay on the rod and let me fill my hands with water and poor it over her. She generally will not get under the stream of water yet or lift her wings. She just sits there and lifts up her claw now and them to say "Mommy, I really want to get out now". But she tolerates it and I can get her bathed. My hope is one day she will actually love taking showers!

Quincy hates spray bottles and showers. So I purchased a large stainless steel dish and he bathes in that.

Luthien
09-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Phoenix won't shower either, won't let me mist him, NOTHING, but when I first put fresh water in his water bowl every morning he has a grand time splashing as much as he can in it and getting his head wet (only part that fits)

Crazy bird!!