PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin

spiritbird
10-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Does anyone have one of those old family recipes for Pumpkin bread that does not have nuts included?

Mare
10-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I believe you can use almost any pumpkin bread recipe, just don't add nuts. Do you use Pinterest? They have wonderful homemade recipes. I've tried many and will continue to use the ones I really like!

Turquoise
10-17-2013, 08:50 PM
No old family recipes form me on this. I was the only one who ever cooked pumpkin bread in my family and the only one who liked eating it. I just used a recipe I found somewhere, can't remember where now. We always had pumpkin pie with lots of heavy cream & half & half added for the holidays.:th_biggrin:

If you don't want nuts, can't you just leave them out? I know some folks use applesauce in brownies for moisture in place of oil. If moistness is your concern, that might work with pumpkin bread as well. I have never used applesauce tho, so I can't say how good it works or tastes in desserts or breads.

spiritbird
10-17-2013, 09:18 PM
If I make PB I usually add pumpkin seeds slightly ground in food processor. I just thought there may be a tried and true recipe out there.

Honesty
10-17-2013, 09:47 PM
I have never cooked pumpkin!

coltfire
10-18-2013, 08:29 AM
so i guess October is pumpkin month there in the states, all for the lead up to my birthday,lol

spiritbird
10-18-2013, 01:21 PM
One wonderful thing one can do with a pumpkin when it has served its purpose is to cut it up and feed it to the wildlife (deer).

kendrafitz
10-18-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't have a family recipe, but here is a link for the one I have been using for years. We all LOVE it.

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
10-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks you so much Kendra. I love the fact that it has ginger in the list. Will mark it as a fav. spot as I do not have a printer. Will get the ingredients and try.

kendrafitz
10-18-2013, 05:28 PM
You're welcome! Let me know if you like it. :)

Blancaej
10-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Have you tried the pumpkin bread yet? Are you going to share? LOL!

spiritbird
10-19-2013, 05:22 PM
I have the ingredients now and all I need is the energy!

Blancaej
10-19-2013, 05:26 PM
LOL! I hear ya on that one! ;)

Turquoise
10-21-2013, 06:08 AM
I know this isn't exactly the kind of pumpkin recipe you were looking for Dianne. I just thought you might like these. I have made these in the past before I began seeing the recipe on FB all the time. I mostly make mine with cherry pie filling and cream cheese rather than pumpkin. I did make them once with pumpkin. And when I make them I flatten the 1st can of crescent rolls out in the bottom of the pan, add the cream cheese then the main filling, i.e. pumpkin or cherry. And I top all that with the 2nd can of crescent rolls. Mine is more like a cream cheese cobbler I suppose. I also use some butter on the flattened rolls on bottom & top to keep them from being dried out during baking, kinda like when I cook any breads.

Anyway, maybe someone might enjoy this recipe. It does make a rich tasty dessert! :th_biggrin:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

MINI FALL PUMPKIN PIE CROISSANTS

These start with 2 tubes of Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls. Roll each crescent roll out and cut lengthwise in 2. This recipe will make 32 mini croissants. Each croissant will get a generous teaspoon of this luscious cream cheese pumpkin pie filling:

4 oz. (1/2 block) of softened cream cheese
1 cup of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 – 2 T pumpkin pie spice (adjust to taste)
3 – 4 T sugar (granulated or powdered; adjust to taste if you want the filling sweeter)

Beat the above ingredients together until fluffy and creamy and spread about one teaspoon of filling over each triangle of dough.
Mix together 4 T sugar and 1 T pumpkin pie spice and roll each pumpkin pie croissant in it!Bake at 375* for about 13-15 minutes (this time is for on a baking stone) – you want them to be lightly browned and the dough baked through.

spiritbird
10-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Oh that looks yummy. I finally baked the pumpkin bread posted in this thread. It is so good. I just might bake more for holiday gifts. What do you think we start a recipe forum for sharing ideas. It could be birdie or human ideas?

Turquoise
10-23-2013, 07:44 AM
I think that is an excellent idea Dianne. :th_biggrin: On another parrot forum I belong to the Admin used to do lots of outdoor grilling and smoking meats. He would post photos of his accomplishments. So some of us would also create threads when we baked or cooked something we were proud of. I really enjoyed salivating over all the goodies. It was a fun place while the forum was bustling. Now it is a ghost town over there, no one comes by much anymore. :(

spiritbird
10-23-2013, 01:14 PM
I will gain wt. just looking at some of the photos.